none
Windows 7 to Windows 7 Remote Assistance Standard User RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I've spent the last couple of days working on getting remote assistance working between Windows 7 to Windows 7 machines and am now at what appears to be hopefully one of the last hurdles.

The long and the short of it now is that only some members of our windows 7 administrators group can offer unsolicited remote assistance offers. When a normal users (or funnily enough my domain admin account) makes the offer they are just prompted with an error message that says -

"Your offer to help could not be sent 

Check the following

* Do you have the correct permissions on the remote computer?

* Is the remote computer turned on, and is it connected to the network?

* Is there a network problem?

For assistance, contact your network administrator"

If I log on with a domain account that is a member of the local administrators it will connect without issue. I can also connect with the user account using the invitiation file.

I've enabled the group policy [computer config > admin templates > system > remote assistance > offer remote assistance], set it to "allow helpers to remotely control the computer" and have added (along with the computer admins domain group) a domain group that the standard user accounts are all members of, but it still doesn't work. (Until I set this policy it wouldn't work from any account). I have checked and the policy is applying and populating the "Offer Remote Assistance" local group.

The standard user accounts can RDP onto the machines without issue.

What am I overlooking?

Any help would be appreciated as this is driving me mad now :)

• Edited by warden976 Tuesday, December 13, 2011 4:01 PM Domain admin account bit sorted now so have removed irrelevant information
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 2:25 PM

Answers

• Hi Kevin,

I cracked it this afternoon - someone has set the "Access this computer from the network" and only put the admins in there... undefined the policy and voila!

Thanks for your help

• Marked as answer by warden976 Monday, January 16, 2012 4:13 PM
    Monday, January 16, 2012 4:13 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Confirm the following policies:

Under Computer Configuration --> Administrative Templates --> System --> Remote Assistance, enable the policy “Offer Remote Assistance" and select Allow Helpers to remotely control the computer and add up the requesting username on it.

Enabled the other policy: Solicited Remote Assistance as well.

Meanwhile, make firewall exception for DCOM port (port 135) and the Raserver.exe program for a test; as a detailed procedure, you may refer to the following link to do it:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/954386

Alex

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Alex Zhao

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 8:43 AM
  • Hi Alex,

Both policies are enabled, and my own domain user account is named in the access list for the offer unsolicited policy (and has taken effect on the PC as my account is in the group), but I am still getting instantly bounced by RA with the above error message.

If I log off, make my account an a member of our domain PC administrators group (which is a member of all machines local admin groups) and log on again it just works both solicited and unsolicited.

When my account is a standard user account it also works with an invitiation file, so the issue seems to only be that standard user accounts can't offer unsolicited remote assistance, but can access the machines with invites.

I've checked through the firewall rules on the PC and out of the box Remote Assistance rules are already in there, but no rule for any traffic incoming on TCP 135 as per the KB article so I have added this and will retest, however I don't hold much hope out as surely this would not just affect standard users while admins work fine?

Thanks

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 2:11 PM
  • Hi Alex,

Firewall rules in now as per the KB article and still the same.

Just to confirm this is only affecting standard user account offering unsolicited RA, if I make the same account an admin it works, or if I use invitiation files it works even as a standard user.

Thanks

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 2:42 PM
  • Hi Alex,

What else can we try, or is unsolicited remote assistance not supported from standard user accounts?

Thanks

Friday, December 16, 2011 10:22 AM
  • Hi warden 976,

Sorry for the late response.

I am doing some research. And I would involve someone who is more familiar with this kind of issue to deal with this problem.

Thanks for understanding. We will give you update as soon as possible.

Alex

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Alex Zhao

TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 19, 2011 1:02 AM
  • Thanks Alex
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 9:32 AM
  • Hi,

Sicne the Remote Assistance works on local administrator users, so maybe this is still occurs by the lacking of permission.

To configure the list of helpers, click "Show." In the window that opens, you can enter the names of the helpers. Add each user or group one by one. When you enter the name of the helper user or user groups, use the following format:

<Domain Name>\<User Name> or

<Domain Name>\<Group Name>

After above steps, if this issue still occrs, please reproduce this issue, and check if any DCOM event log message appears on both of the Windows 7 clients? 

“Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.”
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 10:30 AM
  • Hi Kevin,

Sorry for the late reply.

The users are already in the group and I have tried specifying them via a group membership, but also as individuals to no avail.

Please can you tell me where to look for the DCOM errors?

I've had a look in eventvwr and nothing seems to be popping up at the time on the master machine, apart a remoteassistance entry that just states the same as the error message, and an error stating that Windows Easy Connect isn't enabled (this doesn't appear when an admin logs on). Nothing is appearing on the host.

Nothing appearing in the firewall logs.

If I make the same user an admin, log off and on, the connection just goes through.

Monday, January 16, 2012 2:18 PM
  • Hi Kevin,

I cracked it this afternoon - someone has set the "Access this computer from the network" and only put the admins in there... undefined the policy and voila!

Thanks for your help

• Marked as answer by warden976 Monday, January 16, 2012 4:13 PM
    Monday, January 16, 2012 4:13 PM
  • Thank you for this update. Its so amazing that even after 6 year still this post is helping to resolve the issues. 
    Tuesday, May 1, 2018 2:51 PM