Roaming profiles seem to need group policy update to use desktop on server RRS feed

• Question

• I have an issue on a number of Windows XP boxes where whenever I log into a new user profile the desktop doesn't automatically use the desktop folder on the server. 

When I force a group policy update the desktop properly uses the desktop folder from the server, but I seem to have to do this every time I log into a user that hasn't logged into the machine before.  Both my Domain Controllers are running on Windows 2008 R2.

Friday, July 15, 2011 5:27 PM

All replies

• it means you applied the policy to users(that is as  a user configuration policy), try setting the GP as a computer config setting.

Tunde Abagun MCP,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP en p "for the love of Computers"
    Saturday, July 16, 2011 5:39 PM
  • Hi,

In this environment does the user profile exist already and it logs into a new host for the first time? or is the profile blank?

Usually if the profile is blank, there will be nothing for the host to load up, its only when the user logs out of the host, the sync process begins and it should behave normally after that.

Is it just XP or XP and Vista/7 environment, there are additional steps required for a Vista/7 and XP roaming setup which must be applied or you can get similar effects to your issue.

Martin

If you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)
    Monday, July 18, 2011 4:04 PM
  • Hi,

In this environment does the user profile exist already and it logs into a new host for the first time? or is the profile blank?

Usually if the profile is blank, there will be nothing for the host to load up, its only when the user logs out of the host, the sync process begins and it should behave normally after that.

Is it just XP or XP and Vista/7 environment, there are additional steps required for a Vista/7 and XP roaming setup which must be applied or you can get similar effects to your issue.

Martin

These are all for existing profiles.  I understand that normally the sync process doesn't begin until logout, but even if I log out of the user and log back in I still don't see the desktop for the roaming profile in question.  If I force a gpupdate it works, but I'm just trying to minimize any intervention on my part so I would like to avoid that.  All the client machines in question are on XP.  I don't currently have any Vista/7 boxes on the domain so that isn't applicable, yet, although I might be interested in the information nevertheless so that I know ahead of time for the inevitable migration away from XP.
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 4:54 PM
  • Hi,

Can you give me an idea of what is missing from the desktop, is it icons, shortcuts or is it setting preferences?

Martin

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 5:00 PM
  • I don't see any of the icons or shortcuts.  If I put something on the desktop the location is on the local machine as opposed to the location for the desktops on the roaming profiles.  Without forcing a gpupdate the machine doesn't seem to use the location referenced by the Domain controller.
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 5:07 PM