New Contacts not available on S4B client RRS feed

• Question

• We created Some new contacts in Exchnage 2012 on-prem and also have S4B Ent 2015 and use S4B 2015 client on windows 7

I can see the contacts now show in the Outlook 2013 Address book , however they do not appear while we search in S4B client. Am i missing something. I did try running Update-CsAddressBook on the one of the FE servers . We have 2 FE servers.

PS C:\Users\s4badmin> Get-CsAddressBookConfiguration

Identity                   : Global
    RunTimeOfDay               : 1:30 AM
    KeepDuration               : 30
    SynchronizePollingInterval : 00:05:00
    MaxDeltaFileSizePercentage : 20
    UseNormalizationRules      : True
    IgnoreGenericRules         : False
    EnableFileGeneration       : True
    MaxFileShareThreadCount    : 300
    EnableSearchByDialPad      : True
    EnablePhotoSearch          : True
    PhotoCacheRefreshInterval  : 1.00:00:00

Also i close S4B client and exit form taskbar . Then reopened it but still the same.

Any advice.

Monday, November 12, 2018 2:47 PM

All replies

• First of all, are those contacts enabled for SIP (Skype for Business) ?

If not, you may check your ABS configuration, for this you need to have the RESKIT installed in your Frontend server ; RESKIT can be downloaded here

Once the Reskit installed,

1. Go to the path - C:\Program Files\Skype for Business Server 2015\ResKit
    2. Double click on the ABSConfig.exe file
    3. Ensure no filters applied, below screenshot for your reference.

Revert back if any queries.

Neeranjan Shettar (MyPage)

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Monday, November 12, 2018 5:35 PM
  • Agree with Neeranjan.

Please check if the user is enabled for skype for business, and you may use another computer check if it is the same issue.

If it only happen to specific user client you can rebuild user profile check if the issue still same.

On you fe server, you can run the command : update -csaddressbook then check if cms has latest update.

Tuesday, November 13, 2018 1:52 AM
  • Hi Kitaab,

Please verify the users in AD are well added, and also open SFB server control panel to check Users column just make sure the users are enabled in users already. 

If all of them are well configured, then please use ABS config tool mentioned by Neeranjan, it provides a quick and easy way to customize and view AB service configuration in the database for SFB server.

By the way, it could also be found locally in the Address Book server as the following path:

Path: %ProgramFiles%\Skype for Business Server 2015\Reskit 

Kind regards,

Calvin Liu

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful. It will assist others who has similar issue. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Calvin-Liu Monday, December 17, 2018 6:09 AM
    Tuesday, November 13, 2018 7:31 AM
  • @ Neeranjan --Somehow i can't search in S4B 2015 Control panel  for the names of the Mail Contacts i have created using Exchange 2013 

These are not visible in S4B control panel and thus not enabled for SIpP (S4B)

What do i need to do with the tool 

@Calvin -- Yes the users are added as mail contacts in AD , the contacts were created through Exchange 2013 admin centre

What i have noticed is It is very slow to show up in the skype client .. I could see the contacts do appear for 2 users already but we have around 1000 users . I am not sure when their c4B client will update and show the new contacts that are created. -- is there a time or a way to update for all forcefully something.

• Edited by Kitaab Wednesday, November 14, 2018 8:49 AM Update
    Wednesday, November 14, 2018 8:00 AM
  • If those contacts are not enabled for SIP, well and good.

So now, you go the ABSConfig.exe tool and set/mark/select "Do not apply any include or exclude filters" and click OK.

Then, identify the Address Book server by running the below command 

Debug-CsAddressBookReplication

Notice the output "Task Owner Fqdn" and that's the AB server, login to this server and restart the Skype for Business services.

Note : if you have multiple Frontend pools. you have to perform the above steps for all pools.

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Wednesday, November 14, 2018 8:10 AM
  • The issue is some user started to see the contacts while searching in S4B client on their machine but still most of the users dont see these. 

Some see a subset of contacts that are created and not all.

How long does it generally take for a client to get the updated list of contacts generally as these not not S4B enabled contacts but just normal mail contacts in AD

Also what does it mean Do not apply any include or exclude filters

Do i have to run this on both FE servers , we have 2 of these.

Wednesday, November 14, 2018 2:30 PM
  • If you set "Do not apply any include or exclude filters"  in ABS config tool, this mean the Skype for Business server will pull all the user and contact objects exists in Active directory and update it's database where the Skype for Business client can search for these objects.

You have to run this tool on pool basis for example you have two pools, identify an ABS server in each pool and run it only in that servers.

=========================================

Basically the ABS sync happens everyday at 01:30 AM server local time and it will take time based on the user base, hardly it will take max-to-max 4-5 hours.

========================================

But the question is, why Skype for Business users need to see these contacts when these are not even enabled for Skype for Business ? it give negative experience to end users where there is high chances that end users will start complaining that they are unable to chat with these contacts and etc.

Wednesday, November 14, 2018 3:11 PM
  • Thanks I did select the change on one of the front end server -- not sure if that is the correct server though

I then restarted that server

After that i also ran update-csAddressbook command

Q:I still can't see the contacts appearing in the client , any suggestions

Q: How do i identify on which FE server i need to set the option Do not apply any include or exclude filters

The reason we are doing this because of our integration with VC and users want to be able to search these Contacts easily in S4B client 

Thursday, November 15, 2018 6:46 AM
  • You can run it in any of the server, but you need to restart the Address book server especially.

How to identify the AB server ? :

Identify the Address Book server by running the below command 

Debug-CsAddressBookReplication

Notice the output "Task Owner Fqdn" and that's the AB server, login to this server and restart the Skype for Business services.

=====================================================

Since you are looking for this feasibility due to VC integration so that end users can easily search for VC endpoints in SFB clients.

Well, there is a optimal solution which you can apply, it's well explained by Jeff Schertz in the below blog:

http://blog.schertz.name/2011/10/lync-3rd-party-video-interop/ ; Refer to the Contacts section.

Thursday, November 15, 2018 10:31 AM
  • Thanks that is what i did . I set the paratament you asked and then restarted the AB server .

In addition i am already creating the Exchange contacts in AD so following the same strategy as described in the blog.

The problem i have is that the clients are not updating .

I see it on some clients and not on others . Somehow i am unable to explain when all the clients will be bale to see them as its been 2-3 days now while i have created the contacts.

Thursday, November 15, 2018 12:56 PM
  • I have no answer why few clients are able to and few not..

But once you fully implement the AD contact objects and populate the msRTCSIP-PrimaryUserAddress with VC endpoint SIP URI, then the SFB clients will definitely be able to search these contact objects.. Because the Skype for Business AB server gives a first priority to the AD objects which have the value in msRTCSIP-PrimaryUserAddress attribute.

Implement this and have a check !

• Proposed as answer by Calvin-Liu Wednesday, November 21, 2018 10:23 AM
    Thursday, November 15, 2018 1:53 PM
  • Hi,

Are there any update for this issue, if the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, it will help others who has similar issue. :) 

Kind regards,

Calvin Liu

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful. It will assist others who has similar issue. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, November 21, 2018 10:23 AM
  • I still have the issue where all the contacts created are not visible for users on all machines.

no solution yet

Thursday, November 22, 2018 12:18 PM
  • Hi,

It seems that the users created in AD haven’t been enabled in SFB completely as users cannot use Skype for Business until the accounts have been enabled for Skype for Business server. Of course, firstly you will have to confirm that the accounts created in AD are valid.

Please try to search the user in SFB control panel and enable them following the procedures in this article. You could also use the cmdlet Enable-CsUser as Admin in SFB Mgmt Shell to proceed.

Revert back if any updates.

Kind regards,

Calvin Liu

Friday, November 30, 2018 1:49 PM