Office 2016 Update has deleted my recent file list RRS feed

• Question

• I was working away yesterday (Windows 10) when a message appeared to update Office 2016. I clicked yes. No errors were  reported, but nor was there a success message. Today, I find that every one of my lists of recent files (Word, Excel etc.) have completely disappeared. When I start Excel, for example, all it says is "You haven't opened any workbooks recently". 

This is utter rubbish. The Office update must have zapped everything. Has anyone else experienced this? Should I uninstall this Office update (how?). What else might it have corrupted?

Thursday, June 7, 2018 5:53 PM

Answers

• Problem solved. I don't always bother to sign in to my MS account - but when I just did so, the full recent list reappeared. 

Interestingly, files I've opened since the recent list disappeared are now showing twice with different time stamps. The older of the two is from the now-restored recent list. The later one shows the date and time of when I last did open the file.

Many thanks for solving this. Presumably, there's a synch issue if one's not signed in?

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 7:37 AM

All replies

• Hi Bertram,

Since this is a recent occurred issue since the update, could you please collect the detailed build number of Office then we can do further research on this?

Besides, please open Excel, go to File > Options > Advanced, scroll down to Display, make sure the number behind Show this number of Recent Workbooks is not 0:

In addition, please try the following steps to check the corresponding registry keys for recent files:

1. Press Win+R, type"regedit", press Enter.
    2. Navigate to:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Excel\User MRU\ADAL_4766EF146E68EBAF1A5F36FD8EF80A98E11FB8F1414E4FD0CCE544AB59B208A1\File MRU

Confirm whether the recent items are stored there:

Any updates, please feel free to post back. 

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, June 8, 2018 3:21 AM
  • Thanks for the response - and apologies for my delayed reply. Answers as follows:

- Office 2016 Build No. 9330.2087

- Number of recent Workbooks in Excel is set to 50.

- Although missing from the "recent" list in Excel, they ARE all visible in the registry.

Monday, June 11, 2018 11:51 AM
  • Thanks for the response - and apologies for my delayed reply. Answers as follows:

- Office 2016 Build No. 9330.2087

- Number of recent Workbooks in Excel is set to 50.

- Although missing from the "recent" list in Excel, they ARE all visible in the registry.

Hi Bertram12,

I am running the same build of Office 2016(9330.2087) but haven't noticed the issue.

In current situation, please try signing out of the Office application and then signing in again to check if there is any difference.

By the way, will your newly opened file appear in the recent list?

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 2:13 AM
  • Problem solved. I don't always bother to sign in to my MS account - but when I just did so, the full recent list reappeared. 

Interestingly, files I've opened since the recent list disappeared are now showing twice with different time stamps. The older of the two is from the now-restored recent list. The later one shows the date and time of when I last did open the file.

Many thanks for solving this. Presumably, there's a synch issue if one's not signed in?

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 7:37 AM
  • Hi Bertram12.

Great to see that the issue has been solved!

As per your question about the sync issue if one's not signed in, I didn't find any official documentation about the specific issue, only found this article mentioned that "when this happens, Office loses track of any customizations you might have made in the program. Also, the files you stored on a server will no longer be synchronized with your device." But I can reproduce it when testing in my Word 2016 by signing out, opening some files and then signing back which indeed seems like a sync issue. In current situation, I'd like to suggest try manually delete these duplicated items if you don't want to see the same entry twice.

By the way, could you please help mark the useful reply as answer so that others who might have a similar issue can also benefit from your thread? Thanks for your understanding and support :)

Have a nice day!

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 7:58 AM