none
different totals in timephased and non-timephased data sources RRS feed

• Question

• We recently experience data inconsistencies in MS Project Server 2010 database between timephased and non-timephased data sources: a task (with duration of several months) is assigned a material resource. Cost, let's say 100000€, for that material resource is entered using Prof. client.

Now MS Project distributes the cost to single periods/days. But comparing total cost in timephased and non-timephased data sources for that task show different results: timephased reports only lists 96354€ for this task (e.g. Portfolio Analyzer cube or MSP_EpmAssignmentByDay table). There were no fxed cost entered, no cost per use etc. And we're just looking at 'Cost' field. Any idea what's going wrong here?

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 10:44 AM

All replies

• I believe the latest Cumulative Update listed a hotfix for this behavior. I don't have the link handy but you should do a search for the August 2012 CU.

Treb Gatte

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 4:07 PM
  • Hi Tale,

I continued my tests to reproduce the issue and found that calendar assignments on project level influence distribution of material costs for timephased cubes/tables. Let me describe the situation in detail:

1. The project is assigned a calendar that includes local bank holidays as non-working days. A material is defined as resource for a task in a week with a local bank holiday. overall cost (entered for that material in that week and that task) is 6k€. MSP Prof. 2010 client displays 6k€ cost in any view (especially on Task Usage view on per day basis).

2. Table MSP_EpmAssignmentByDay, however, simply reports cost for 4 days, i.e. 4.8k€.

Any idea, if this behavior is a known "constraint"?

Kind regards

Thursday, July 19, 2012 8:01 AM
  • We've found it best to not mix work and cost resources on the same tasks due to oddities like this. As material resources can't have a calendar, this would seem to be a bug, as the cost should match the amount for the duration of the task. 

If you separate the tasks out into a material task and a work task, do you see the same behavior?

Treb

Thursday, July 19, 2012 8:14 AM
  • Mixing material and work resources is of no relevance in this case. The only thing that counts is the project calendar (I've not tested yet, if other calendars play a similar role)
    Friday, July 20, 2012 5:34 AM