none
How to Move files servers from one DPM server to another DPM server RRS feed

• General discussion

• He have 2 DPM server with DPM2007 (s1,s2), S1 server space is full due to this backup is failing.

So we want move some file servers exp:Server1,Server 2 (dpm agents) from S1 to S2(since s2 has 7TB unallocated space )

Can any one tell me how to do this ? is there any replication kind of thing which we can you perform this?

Its possible to move only E drive of Server1 to S2 or we need move all the drives of Server1 to S2

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 2:26 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You can move a PS between DPM servers using the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\bin\setdpmserver.exe -dpmservername <new_dpm_server> - then run the agent attach agent wizard on the new DPM server.

Once you move the server to the new DPM server and the agent shows OK, just create a new PG and re-protect the same volumes. Only one DPM server can protect data sources on a PS at a time, so you will need to re-protect all data sources.

Meanwhile, on the original DPM Server, remove the datasources from protection, but maintain the replica data so you can still perform restores if required before the new DPM server has recovery points made.  Also disable the protection agent so we don't try to comminicate with it since this DPM server no longer owns it.    You have two choices for recoveries.  You can restore to an alternate location and choose a server that this DPM server owns, or - you can switch protection back using the setdpmserver and re-attach the agent - then restore back to the original server.  eventually, you can then delete the inactive data sources to free up the disk space on the original DPM server.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 1:25 PM
  • Thanks mike ,

thanks for your help , i came across below action plan from few blogs

I that ok i can perform below steps ? through GUi since i am new to DPM or backup technolgy

1. Delete the protection group for Server1 in old dpm server s1 and keeping retain data.
    2. Point the agent Server1 to the Server2(new dpm server )

3. Run full backup on the Server2(new dpm server )

4. After the retention time will pass data on old dpm server s1 will be automatically deleted or we can manually delete the recovery points if step 3 is successful

Please confirm me

Thursday, January 13, 2011 7:06 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, the steps are one in the same, just slightly different order.  RP's on the old DPM server will not automatically expire or be deleted because no new RP are being made since the data source is in inactive protection group.  You will need to manually delete the data source yourself when you want to.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 1:56 PM