none
Server 2016 - "Kills" Transport Service Exchange 2016 CU4 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Today i released Cumulatieve update Windows Server 2016 voor x64-systemen (KB4016635).

After the installation of this CU the server rebooted and all Exchange services came online but after 1 or 2 minutes the Exchange Transport service stops. You can relaunch it but after the same 1 or 2 minutes the services stops again without any message in the Eventlog or when starting the service.

Any known issues/bugs with the CU4 of Exchange 2016 release

In between i'm upgrading to CU5 Exchange 2016, i'll keep a post on the progress.

Kind regards,

Yoni

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 12:41 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Today i released Cumulatieve update Windows Server 2016 voor x64-systemen (KB4016635).

After the installation of this CU the server rebooted and all Exchange services came online but after 1 or 2 minutes the Exchange Transport service stops. You can relaunch it but after the same 1 or 2 minutes the services stops again without any message in the Eventlog or when starting the service.

In between i'm upgrading to CU5 Exchange 2016, i'll keep a post on the progress.

Kind regards,

Yoni

Have you looked at this?

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/exchange/2017/03/23/exchange-server-edge-support-on-windows-server-2016-update/

I realize the post is more about Edge Support, but the last section may apply here.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread

• Marked as answer by Y.meeus Thursday, March 30, 2017 4:39 AM
    Wednesday, March 29, 2017 1:57 PM
  • Thanks Hinte,

That article has hit the nail on the head, it explains a part, i did activate the Antispam agents so that explains that error.

The second point "to wait to install on Server 2016" can be scrapped for the "all-role-in-one" Exchange 2016 on Server 2016. If you update the Excahnge server from CU4 to CU5 the problem fixes itself. Just don't forget to disable defender or uninstall it to be sure, it will stop the setup at the step "installing languages".
    But if you do get stuck because of defender, uninstall it via roles and features and reboot the server and restart the setup of CU5, exchange will not be harmed by this (tested this in an operational mail enabled lab)

Solution for the "all-role-in-one" Exchange 2016: If you roll out KB4016635 you need to upgrade your Exchange servers first to CU5 and then install KB4016635. Otherwise no transport service on any of the servers even in DAG = no mail = bad day at work.

Thursday, March 30, 2017 4:39 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Kind regards,

Yoni

Have you looked at this?

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/exchange/2017/03/23/exchange-server-edge-support-on-windows-server-2016-update/

I realize the post is more about Edge Support, but the last section may apply here.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 1:57 PM
  • Thanks Hinte,

That article has hit the nail on the head, it explains a part, i did activate the Antispam agents so that explains that error.

The second point "to wait to install on Server 2016" can be scrapped for the "all-role-in-one" Exchange 2016 on Server 2016. If you update the Excahnge server from CU4 to CU5 the problem fixes itself. Just don't forget to disable defender or uninstall it to be sure, it will stop the setup at the step "installing languages".
    But if you do get stuck because of defender, uninstall it via roles and features and reboot the server and restart the setup of CU5, exchange will not be harmed by this (tested this in an operational mail enabled lab)

Solution for the "all-role-in-one" Exchange 2016: If you roll out KB4016635 you need to upgrade your Exchange servers first to CU5 and then install KB4016635. Otherwise no transport service on any of the servers even in DAG = no mail = bad day at work.

Thursday, March 30, 2017 4:39 AM