none
Backup up a primary DPM 2016 server with a secondary or DPM Chaining RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings.  According to the documentation for DPM 2016 the scenario referenced above, backing up a primary DPM server with a secondary DPM server or chaining DPM servers should work.  However, when I attempt to install the agent on the primary DPM 2016 server I encounter the following error as reported in the MSDPMAgentInstall.log:

Detected DPM installed on machine
    Protection Agent cannot be Installed on machine where DPM is installed
    1: __MSDPMSetupError 2: -2137450066 3: 1073745902 
    CustomAction _DetectDPM returned actual error code 160

I have tried installing DPM from the original install media which did not include any RUs.  The current installed versions on the primary and secondary is 5.0.324.0 (RU4).  I have also tried, somewhat for the heck of it, stopping all the services on the primary server before attempting the install but with the same results.

Any assistance you can provide would be helpful.  Thank you.

Regards,

R. Burke

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 6:07 PM

All replies

• Did you check if maybe the agent already is installed and that you only need to attach it (check if DPMRA service on the primary DPM server exists).
    Wednesday, March 28, 2018 9:57 AM
  • Greetings.  The agent wasn't installed as evidenced by it not appearing under "Agents" in the Management tab.  There appeared to be two issues.  The Windows firewall was turned on both machines (Primary and Secondary), which the error message gives no indication of that being a possible cause.  And, it didn't seem to take kindly to manual attempts to  install the agent (a process I do all the time) but worked when the agent was pushed from the secondary to the primary.  The aforementioned was discovered with the help of a call to MS.  I hope this may help some other befuddled soul in the future.
    Thursday, March 29, 2018 11:19 PM