100% disk usage on SSD with Win 10 pro version 1703 RRS feed

• Question

• I have had this machine for 6 months. A few days ago it suddenly started to hang, and the only way make it run again was if i powered off and restarted. But it would hang again after 10 minutes, even with no apps or software running.

By letting Disk manager run until it chrashed, I noticed that when this happens disk usage skyrockets to 100% while ther eis no significant load on the SSD from any services or apps. CPU, memory and network show no significant use, if any at all.

I searched online and found some sollutuons I have tried with no effect at all, inlcuding the following:

Disabling search, did not work

Disabling superfetch, did not work
    Running checkdsk found nothing wrong
    I also checked the SSD with the Intel SSD toolbox which found nothing wrong. 
    I disabled cortana, did not work
    I reset virtual memory, and set it to double of my meory size (16gb memory), did not work
    I applied the fix for the storACHI.sys driver from Microsoft, did not work
    I updated device drivers, no effect.

I tried a clean boot and reinstall the problem was still there.
    So I deleted the partions on the SDD, formated and reinstalled win 10 pro from a thumb drive, I now have only windows 10 pro version 1703, and no other solftaware isnstalled, a celan install, and it still goes to 100%.

When it is at 100% I can move the mouse cursor, but as soon as I click anything the computer freezes, and I can do nothing.

At my wits end here. IS there any sollution out there?

Sunday, August 6, 2017 8:05 AM

All replies

• Please post information about the computer:

desktop/laptop

make. model

RAM

CPU, GPU, PSU

post information about any hardware that is attached to the computer

Please check the bios to make sure that it has the most up to date version.

When was the last time that you reset the bios?

Please confirm that you deleted the partitions, formatted the drive, made an unallocated driver then installed windows 10 version 1703 using a windows 10 iso.

If so then post the following using share links:  (They each may take a few minutes to load before saving)

1) msinfo32

2) dxdiag 

Follow these steps:

1) create a bootable windows 10 iso:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

2) disconnect the computer from ethernet and wireless and make sure that there is no internet connection.  If there is a hardware button on the computer to turn off wireless please use the hardware button.

3) Perform another clean install (delete partitions, format drive, make unallocated drive, install windows 

4) once the clean install has been completed

a) do not update windows

b) do not install drivers or applications

c) do not reconnect to the internet

5) evaluate the computer performance using the mouse and post the evaluation into the thread.

Is the boot faster or slower or the same?

Is the shutdown faster or slower or the same?

Is the audio and video performance better, worse, or the same.

6) now connect the computer to the internet and only perform windows updates

7) reevaluate the computer performance and report into the thread all of the evaluations previously done in step #5.  What has changed if anything?

8) Which websites are you using for drivers?  Computer manufacturer or motherboard manufacturer or component manufacturers or a driver update software website?

9) install drivers

10) reevaluate the computer performance and report into the thread all of the evaluations previously done in step #5.  What has changed if anything?

11) At this point you should have updated windows 10 version 1703 to build 15063.502 with drivers and no applications and have made 3 different evaluations (windows without updates and drivers; windows with windows updates; and windows with windows updates and with drivers).  No applications should have yet been installed.

Sunday, August 6, 2017 8:45 AM
  • The computer is a self built desktop on a Gigabyte Z87X-OC  motherboard

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4771 CPU @ 3.50GHz, 3501 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
    G
    PU: Gainward NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
    PSU: Corsair CX500

16mb RAM

Cant remember ever resetting the BIOS, thios computer was built approximately 6 months ago and has been running without a flaw until now. 

External equipment: as it is now': none except a Neatgear WNDR4300 router, exibel GMX5 mouse, and a non-brand generic keyboard. 

Msinfo32: https://1drv.ms/t/s!Ahf-h-UVAddIhO8jc5ZGP2c0S5Mj9w

DXdiag: https://1drv.ms/t/s!Ahf-h-UVAddIhO8jc5ZGP2c0S5Mj9w
    Wednesday, August 9, 2017 10:47 AM
  • During the final setup phase of the clean install, I get a a message on the screan saying it takes longer than expected. I suspect it's allready in 100% disk usage at this time.

Wednesday, August 9, 2017 12:07 PM
  • Evalutaion of windows without updates and drivers:

- Startup as fast as before 

Graphics: Much worse with only generic drivers. Display resolution 1024x768 
    Sound is okay. 

Had to do ha hard reboot, to be able to test shutdown speed, as it went into 100% disk usage before I could evaluate it. 

Shutdown speed was allmost immediate once I had restarted after the hang. I waited for it to finish the start up process, then shut it down. 

Wednesday, August 9, 2017 12:23 PM
  • With windows update, and NVidia screen drivers as those downloaded automatically by windows. 

fast startup as before
    excellent graphics and sound
    fast shutdown

No difference in these aspects, but it goes into 100% disk usage within a couple of minutes, without any apps or software being used. I.e only load on anything comes from the computer itself. 

Wednesday, August 9, 2017 1:02 PM
  • There was no msinfo32 in this link:  https://1drv.ms/t/s!Ahf-h-UVAddIhO8jc5ZGP2c0S5Mj9w

There were dupicate copies of dxdiag instead.

Had you already installed gaming software to have the 100% disk?

The problem signatures were:

+++ WER5 +++:
    Fault bucket , type 0
    Event Name: AppHangTransient
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
    P1: arma3_x64.exe
    P2: 1.72.142.223
    P3: 59526dbb
    P4: unknown
    P5: unknown
    P6: unknown
    P7: unknown
    P8: 
    P9: 
    P10: 

+++ WER6 +++:
    Fault bucket 129492287640, type 5
    Event Name: AppHangB1

Problem signature:
    P3: 59526dbb
    P4: ec50
    P5: 134217728
    P6: 
    P7: 
    P8: 
    P9: 
    P10: 

+++ WER7 +++:
    Fault bucket 129491832668, type 5
    Event Name: RADAR_PRE_LEAK_64

Problem signature:
    P3: 10.0.15063.2.0.0
    P4: 
    P5: 
    P6: 
    P7: 
    P8: 
    P9: 
    P10: 

Wednesday, August 9, 2017 1:11 PM
  • nstalled the latest Nvidia Game ready drivers from NVidia as these are correct for my GPU. 

No change, i.e startup, graphics and shutdown as good as the earlier test. 

The computer is performing flawlessly until it goes into 100% disk usage. 
    The only thing I can mention is that it appears that as long as the SSD is  being used, i,e, something is being written to it, it works fine. Once disku suage goes down to 0% or minimum level, it goes into 100% disk usage. Wiyth no write or read activity

Wednesday, August 9, 2017 1:34 PM
  • Please post a share link for msinfo32

The dxdiag was done after installing applications?

The gaming software steam: Arma 3 is a repetitive problem signature.

Wednesday, August 9, 2017 1:42 PM
  • Yes I had arma insalled at that time.

But have not installed any software after the clean install I did following your instructions.

However here is de msinfo32 file:

https://1drv.ms/t/s!Ahf-h-UVAddIhO8kdgVWM6Xx8dFqGg

I have noticed something though. 
    During previous checks, if something was running that was writing or reading to the SSD, it would not go into 100% disk usage, and 0 read/write speed and 0 response time. 

Instead it would behave normal. I tested this now by copying a movie file til the SSD and running it with the MS movie player, it did not do the 100% disk usage error at all. 

It ha snow been running for 30 minutes without a hickup, but when running nothing it will go to 100% within minutes. 

Wednesday, August 9, 2017 2:30 PM
  • some more obeservations....

As long as the movie file is running from the SSD, there disk usage stays more or less constant at 1%, sometimes dropping to zero for a few seconds, before going back to 1%, but also with a few peaks up to may 5%. Those are hardly decetible, they are so short. 

If I stop the movie, within seconds I start get peaks up in the 30-40% range, and then it goes to 100% disk usage shortly aftyer that. 

If something else is using the disk constantly for a while like windows update or some process, it will not go into 100% disk usgae until that process is finished.

Wednesday, August 9, 2017 2:42 PM
  • Another test. I tried palying a music on repeat from the HD using Groove. The HD went into 100% disk usage within minutes. But then thos peaks towards 30 -40% where back, something that did not occur while playing the movie file. 

Wednesday, August 9, 2017 3:24 PM
  • Another test run. 

This time I activated Onedrive, and let it sync one of my online onedrive folders to the PC. As long ast the sync process was running, i.e using the disk to read from and write to, it did not go to 100% the 100% disk usage bug.

As soon as I paused the syncing from one drive, the 100% disk usage bug would materialize within minutes.

Wednesday, August 9, 2017 4:32 PM
  • Somehow the msinfo32 and dxdiag were not done before applications were installed.

Now with applications installed we have lost the full benefit of the clean install.

What was the disk % with only windows installed without updates?

What was the disk % with only windows updated?

What was the disk % with windows updated + driver installation?

What was the disk % when the first application was installed?

What was the disk % when the second application was installed?

What was the disk % when the third application was installed?

Wednesday, August 9, 2017 7:35 PM
  • The msfinfo32 and dxdiag where done before I did the clean install you instructed me to do above. I must have gotten confused as I thought the clean install would come after that. Sorry about that.

But in all of the stages you mention in your last question the Disk would go into 100% disk usage within minutes of startup. 
    But if I ran a movie file saved on the SSD, this will not happen, until I shut down the movie or it finish playing. 
    I have been running like that with a playing movie in windows media player for 6 hours now, without the compuyer going into 100 disk usgae. But as soon as I stoip the movie, it will do so. This is very odd.

The same effect will occur if I download a something to the SSD, run chkdsk, er perform any activity that reads and/or writes to the SSD.

Wednesday, August 9, 2017 11:16 PM
  • There are many ways to troubleshoot the problems of high disk usage.

The first method will be to turn off all non-Microsoft services and evaluate the disk percentage.

The term for this is clean boot.  

This is the method to perform clean boot using administrative command prompt.  Type or copy and paste these commands:

1) msconfig (in the pop up system configuration > move the dot from normal startup to selective startup > uncheck load startup items > click service tab > in left lower corner check hide all Microsoft services > in the lower right side click disable all > click apply or ok > do not reboot)

2) taskmgr (in the pop up task manager > click on the start up tab > click on status so that the column sorts with enable rising to the top > right click on each row with enable and change to disable)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/29876.how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows-10.aspx

3) shutdown /r (you will reboot the computer so that it is in clean boot)

Evaluate the performance on your computer in clean boot during typical use.

Are the boots faster or slower?

Are the shutdowns faster or slower?

How has the audio and video performance changed? Is it better, worse, or the same?

How has the disk % changed.  Is it better, worse, or the same?

Continue using clean boot indefinitely to monitor performance.

Thursday, August 10, 2017 2:26 AM
  • just to be clear?

By disk % here, do you mean disk usage in task manager?
    Thursday, August 10, 2017 11:58 AM
  • I followed the instructions.

Boots are same, that is quite fast 
    Same with shutdowns
    Audio and video are also okay, I ran a video file without any problems
    Disk usage is very small, in the 1% to 5% range, with a few peaks up the 30% mark. 
    But what happens is that this beaviour only last as long as I load the ssd by for example play a video file
    As soon as the ssd is no longer beein read from or written to, it will only show thise regular peaks in the 30% to 40% range, then go into constant 100% disk usage. 

If I am not putting the SSD under load, it will go into 100% disk usage, rendering the computer useless if I do not reboot. 

Thursday, August 10, 2017 12:54 PM
  • I wonder why you are using the Microsoft driver (storahci.sys), and not the Intel driver?
    So might be this problem:
    Task Manager might show 100% disk utilization on Windows 10 devices with Message Signaled Interrupt (MSI) mode enabled
    Thursday, August 10, 2017 1:58 PM
  • I have installed the Intel drivers, it makes no difference. 

Actually, after I installed the intel drivers, the IDE ATA/ATAPI controller  vanished from device manager.

Thursday, August 10, 2017 3:53 PM
  • First test the hardware and once that is ruled out continue looking for conflicting software.

1) Run HDTune on the SSD to
    check the health,
    scan for errors, no quick scan but full scan
    run a benchmark.

It may take some time, but please take the time you need to perform it properly.
    When above is done please make screenshots of the following
    the health,
    the error scan,
    the benchmark incl. following
    transfer rate,
    access time,
    burst rate,
    cpu usage.

2) which anti-virus is always on and which anti-virus products do you use manually?

3) please post an updated msinfo32 and dxdiag using one drive or drop box share links

4) open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:  chkdsk /x /f

It will require you to enter Y and reboot.  

5) When the scan has completed post the results into the thread:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/40822-read-chkdsk-log-event-viewer-windows-10-a.html

6) after the drive testing submitting msinfo32 and dxdiag,and posting the results of chkdsk /x /f place the computer in safe mode with networking or command prompt depending on your needs.

Open task manager and record the baseline percentages.

Open the always on antivirus product and run a quick scan and evaluate the percentages.

Open the manual antivirus product and run a scan simultaneously.

Record the task manager percentages running multiple scans simultaneously.

If there is only one antivirus product then open other software programs that you commonly use and then record the percentages seen in task manager while using safe mode.

Finally if you can record the date of specific times for 100% disk before submitting any msinfo32

we may be able to see if there is an event at the time of the 100% disk seen in task manager.  In addition you can open eventvwr and see if you find any events that correspond to the same date and time.

Friday, August 11, 2017 1:34 AM