problem installing usb printer RRS feed

• Question

• I've been having a problem installing a USB printer. We have Windows Vista Business SP2. There is also a problem installing the most recent Windows Updates. The computer gives the error message "Unknown Device" for the printer.

I've read that this was a fairly common problem and found somewhat of a solution: by going into the Device Manager/Universal Serial Bus Controllers and uninstalling the one that says "Unknown Device" -- then searching through the ones that say "USB Root Hub" and looking under the "Power" tab and finding one that says "Unknown Device" and uninstalling it -- windows then finds the printer and installs a USB controller called "USB Printer Support".

The problem is that if I reboot, windows doesn't find the printer again and I have to go through the whole procedure again.

I had not been having problems with Windows Updates until the problem with the printer. I ran Microsoft Fixitwu and the other suggested things under the 800B0100 error suggestions.

Help appreciated.

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 6:11 PM

Answers

• Found a solution -- instead of uninstalling the USB Root Hubs that are listed with "Unknown Device", I disabled them. Now when I reboot, the USB Printer Support is still installed and the printer is found when the USB cable is plugged in.
    • Marked as answer by cisz Friday, June 13, 2014 5:15 PM
    Friday, June 13, 2014 5:15 PM

All replies

• download the drivers on the internet
    Wednesday, June 11, 2014 7:09 PM
  • The problem is with windows, not the driver. I would direct you to this thread if you are interested:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/4cae5aad-0ca0-431f-8774-70b9842baaf2/usb-printer-detection-and-port?forum=w7itproinstall

• Edited by cisz Wednesday, June 11, 2014 8:18 PM
    Wednesday, June 11, 2014 8:17 PM
  • Found a solution -- instead of uninstalling the USB Root Hubs that are listed with "Unknown Device", I disabled them. Now when I reboot, the USB Printer Support is still installed and the printer is found when the USB cable is plugged in.
    • Marked as answer by cisz Friday, June 13, 2014 5:15 PM
    Friday, June 13, 2014 5:15 PM