Aero is GONE!!! RRS feed

• Question

• I recently ran a utility from PC Tools (can't remember the name, and I uninstalled it) that was supposed to optimized my system and fixed registry errors.  It removed Aero.  I looked in the Aero folder under Resources and found that Classic is the only option.  Last night, I went into the Task Manager and started Windows Color System and it worked until I restarted. Now, in the Task Manager, it shows that the process is running.  I went into regedit and changed the value of CompositionPolicy to 2 and that did not work.  I HATE the look of Windows Classic and loved Aero!  I want it back!

Can anyone help me??

Thanks!

Thursday, September 11, 2008 6:50 AM

Answers

• Sammy

Did the utility make a backup of the registry, before it started removing things?

If not, try using System Restore to go back to a point prior to when you used the utility. System Restore points include a backup of the registry.

How to use System Restore in Windows Vista::
    http://bertk.mvps.org/html/restoresysv.html

Let us know if you need more help.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer or Helpful button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience

Thursday, September 11, 2008 7:50 PM

All replies

• Sammy

Did the utility make a backup of the registry, before it started removing things?

If not, try using System Restore to go back to a point prior to when you used the utility. System Restore points include a backup of the registry.

How to use System Restore in Windows Vista::
    http://bertk.mvps.org/html/restoresysv.html

Let us know if you need more help.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer or Helpful button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience

Thursday, September 11, 2008 7:50 PM
  • I tried that before.  When I restarted, I received an error message stating that my system could not be restored and no changes were made.  Is there by any chance a patch or download that could restore this for me?  It seems that the only portion of Aero that is missing is the Aero Glass.  The pointers are still working.

Thanks!

Sunday, September 14, 2008 9:30 PM