Need help to build redundancy of SMS Provider RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Folks

I'm trying to achieve high availability of SMS provider component so that if one of the site server in a hierarchy (which got this component installed) is unreachable/down, SCCM admin can connect to another site server having SMS Provider component installed & push the software/patch etc.

My environment includes 1 primary site, 1 secondary site server running on SP1. SQL 2008 database resides on a remote host. I installed SMS Provider at another machine. There was no error encountered during installation. However when I tried to connect to the newly installed SMS Provider from SCCM console, I'm getting error "The Configuration Manager console cannot connect to the Configuration Manager site database"

So far I've checked below things to resolve this but there is no success

1. Ensured that new site server computer has "sysadmin", "smsdbrole_siteprovider" roles on SQL database. I'm using the same user account which is running absolutely fine on the other primary site server hence ruling out any user account privilege issue.
    2. New site server computer account is present in SMS Admins group which has required DCOM remote activate permissions.
    3. WMI namespace verified & it contains valid SMS_ProviderLocation.

When I checked SmsAdminUI.log file at the problematic site server, I found below errors in the log file

_________________________________________________________________________________

\r\nSystem.ArgumentOutOfRangeException\r\nProvider machine not found
    Parameter name: configMgrServerPath\r\n   at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlConnectionManager.Connect(String configMgrServerPath)\r\n
    [6, PID:2576][07/29/2013 15:50:22] :System.Management.ManagementException\r\nNot found \r\n   at System.Management.ManagementException.ThrowWithExtendedInfo(ManagementStatus errorCode)

_________________________________________________________________________________

Please let me know if anybody need more details/log files to assist me on this issue. Any help in this regard will be highly appreciable.

Cheers | Navdeep Sidhu

Monday, July 29, 2013 3:34 PM

Answers

• hi,

You cannot connect the admin console to a SMS provider it must connect to the Primary Site server, it queries the Primary site server for an SMS Provider to use so it is assigned dynamically. You will not be able to connect with the admin console to a SMS Provider if the Primary Site server is down.

From Technet:

The Configuration Manager console, Resource Explorer, tools, and custom scripts use the SMS Provider so that Configuration Manager administrative users can access information that is stored in the database. The SMS Provider does not interact with Configuration Manager clients. When a Configuration Manager console connects to a site, the Configuration Manager console queries WMI on the site server to locate an instance of the SMS Provider to use.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg712282.aspx#BKMK_PlanSMSProv

So you can run scripts for instance if the Primary SiteServer is not availble but not connect with the admin console.

Regards,
    Jörgen

-- My System Center blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec

• Marked as answer by NavdeepSidhu Tuesday, July 30, 2013 7:45 AM
    Monday, July 29, 2013 4:08 PM

All replies

• hi,

You cannot connect the admin console to a SMS provider it must connect to the Primary Site server, it queries the Primary site server for an SMS Provider to use so it is assigned dynamically. You will not be able to connect with the admin console to a SMS Provider if the Primary Site server is down.

From Technet:

The Configuration Manager console, Resource Explorer, tools, and custom scripts use the SMS Provider so that Configuration Manager administrative users can access information that is stored in the database. The SMS Provider does not interact with Configuration Manager clients. When a Configuration Manager console connects to a site, the Configuration Manager console queries WMI on the site server to locate an instance of the SMS Provider to use.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg712282.aspx#BKMK_PlanSMSProv

So you can run scripts for instance if the Primary SiteServer is not availble but not connect with the admin console.

Regards,
    Jörgen

• Marked as answer by NavdeepSidhu Tuesday, July 30, 2013 7:45 AM
    Monday, July 29, 2013 4:08 PM
  • Many thanks Jorgen for your prompt response.

In other words, we can say if a primary site server is down then you can't push software/patches because admin console would only be able to connect to Primary Site Server.

Can you please elaborate your last statement "you can run scripts for instance if the Primary SiteServer is not available" -- sorry I'm unable to understand this.

Cheers | Navdeep Sidhu

Monday, July 29, 2013 4:27 PM
  • Hi,

That is correct, when you run a powershell or vbscript against ConfigMgr 2012 you can specify the SMS_Provider to Contact, so then you can run your scripts to for instance add a computer to a Collection even if the Primary site server is down. But not connect the console.

So the best way to provide high-availability for your ConfigMgr site is to virtualize the primary site server and have redundancy in your virtualization layer instead.

Regards,
    Jörgen

Monday, July 29, 2013 8:46 PM
  • Hi Jorgen

Many thanks for providing this valuable information.

Primary site server is already running VMware platform & in addition to that, we have also setup 2 management points in a site to build the redundancy w.r.t management role.

If you have any such kind of vb/powershell scripts readily available then it would be great help.

Cheers | Navdeep Sidhu

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 7:45 AM
  • Hi Jorgen

Can you please share any sample script which connects to an alternative SMS_Provider & add a computer to a Collection even if the Primary site server is down.

Any assistance in this regard will be highly appreciated.

Cheers | Navdeep Sidhu

Thursday, August 15, 2013 8:09 AM