Just wondering RRS feed

• Question

• I know full support for XP is ending but I've seen in my computer magazine that people who use Microsoft Security Essentials will still get critical updates for another year or so. I find this confusing so can you confirm this is actually true? Many thank's.
    Thursday, April 3, 2014 8:32 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Microsoft has provided support for Windows XP for the past 12 years. But now the time has come for us, along with our hardware and software partners, to invest our resources toward supporting more recent technologies so that we can continue to deliver great new experiences.   

As a result, after April 8, 2014, technical assistance for Windows XP will no longer be available, including automatic updates that help protect your PC. Microsoft will also stop providing Microsoft Security Essentials for download on Windows XP on this date. (If you already have Microsoft Security Essentials installed, you will continue to receive antimalware signature updates for a limited time, but this does not mean that your PC will be secure because Microsoft will no longer be providing security updates to help protect your PC.)

If you continue to use Windows XP after support ends, your computer will still work but it might become more vulnerable to security risks and viruses. Also, as more software and hardware manufacturers continue to optimize for more recent versions of Windows, you can expect to encounter greater numbers of apps and devices that do not work with Windows XP.

Kindly follow the link. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows/end-support-help

http://support.microsoft.com/ph/1173/en-in?wa=wsignin1.0

Deepak Kotian.

MCP, MCTS, MCITP Exchange 2010 Ent. Administrator

Disclaimer:Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!

All the opinions expressed here is mine. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights
    Thursday, April 3, 2014 8:41 AM
  • Doing so can cause problems as the two programs collide in function.  One may want to erase a file while the other wants to quarantine it.  There are other issues.  More is not always better, and adding another anti-virus program is not giving it extra protection.  It is only creating future problems.  Stick with just one anti-virus program.

Please do not read this sentence. Please ignore the previous sentence.

• Marked as answer by big-eau Thursday, April 3, 2014 11:09 PM
    Thursday, April 3, 2014 9:26 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Microsoft has provided support for Windows XP for the past 12 years. But now the time has come for us, along with our hardware and software partners, to invest our resources toward supporting more recent technologies so that we can continue to deliver great new experiences.   

As a result, after April 8, 2014, technical assistance for Windows XP will no longer be available, including automatic updates that help protect your PC. Microsoft will also stop providing Microsoft Security Essentials for download on Windows XP on this date. (If you already have Microsoft Security Essentials installed, you will continue to receive antimalware signature updates for a limited time, but this does not mean that your PC will be secure because Microsoft will no longer be providing security updates to help protect your PC.)

If you continue to use Windows XP after support ends, your computer will still work but it might become more vulnerable to security risks and viruses. Also, as more software and hardware manufacturers continue to optimize for more recent versions of Windows, you can expect to encounter greater numbers of apps and devices that do not work with Windows XP.

Kindly follow the link. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows/end-support-help

http://support.microsoft.com/ph/1173/en-in?wa=wsignin1.0

Deepak Kotian.

MCP, MCTS, MCITP Exchange 2010 Ent. Administrator

Disclaimer:Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!

All the opinions expressed here is mine. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights
    Thursday, April 3, 2014 8:41 AM
  • Hi, many thank's for your response, at least that confirmed what I had read. However due to pressing family issues I am unable at the moment to consider swapping to a new operating system plus at 8 years old my PC may need replacing anyway. My PC works fine at the moment though. Given what I have just said perhaps you could advise on the following. Would it be possible to run another anti virus programme like Avast alongside M Sec Essentials to give extra protection? I also may replace the Windows XP firewall with something like Zone Alarm. Would these changes offer me additional security? It should be noted that whenever I check my security on the Shields Up website I always come up as invisible!  Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Thursday, April 3, 2014 3:21 PM
  • It is never a good idea to run more than one anti-virus program at the same time.

Thursday, April 3, 2014 6:45 PM
  • Sorry answer totally confusing. Can you please be clearer?
    Thursday, April 3, 2014 6:57 PM
  • Doing so can cause problems as the two programs collide in function.  One may want to erase a file while the other wants to quarantine it.  There are other issues.  More is not always better, and adding another anti-virus program is not giving it extra protection.  It is only creating future problems.  Stick with just one anti-virus program.

• Marked as answer by big-eau Thursday, April 3, 2014 11:09 PM
    Thursday, April 3, 2014 9:26 PM