none
uninstall Microsoft Virtual Wifi Miniport Adapter + Dell = Blue Screen RRS feed

• Question

• Yet again Microsoft can't seem to get it together with Dell or vice-versa.

I have a new Dell Inspiron 570MT,  64 bit, Windows 7 Home Premium.

I removed the DW1525 (802.11n) WLAN PCIe card when I first got my machine less than a month ago (didn't think I'd use it, turns out I want to now). I just put the card back in and noticed the Microsoft Virtual Wifi Miniport Adapter had a driver issue. I go to dells download page to get drivers but they don't solve the issue.

I contacted dell support after three episodes of "Blue Screen" from uninstalling the Microsoft Virtual Wifi Miniport Adapter three times (brilliant on Microsofts part that uninstalling doesn't actually uninstall anything). Each time I restart my PC, the Microsoft Virtual Wifi Miniport Adapter comes back. It seems the ndis.sys is what's causing the problem, but it's hard to say since the Blue Screen doesn't last long enough to see.

Dells solution, disable the Microsoft Virtual Wifi Miniport Adapter. Not a solution to me.

I'm just ____ enough to have a device either work or not installed. I can't stand to have something in my Device Manager disabled just because Microsoft/Dell can't get it together.

Any solutions (not workarounds)?

Thursday, June 10, 2010 2:57 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Please completely remove the drive for DW1525 and reinstall the latest version from DELL:

Atheros Wireless 1525 WLAN Mini Card Desktops

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regarding the “microsoft virtual wifi miniport adapter”, it is just a virtual device and it is related to a new feature in Windows 7, Wireless Hosted Network:

About the Wireless Hosted Network

If it is not needed, you can disable it with running the following command in an elevated command prompt:

netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=disallow

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Friday, June 11, 2010 3:17 AM
  • When you purchase a computer from Dell with Windows pre-installed, Dell is the sole source of support.  Dell customizes their installations for their hardware environment.  Microsoft has absolutely NO RESPONSIBILITY for any customizations Dell does!  So, the only place for the correct answer is Dell.  Have you tried posting in the Dell Support Forum?

See info @ http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/contact-support

Thursday, June 10, 2010 12:53 PM
  • After the machine posts, start hitting the F8 key.  That will bring up a boot menu.  On that menu will be an option to disable automatic restart on system failure.  It will halt the machine on the blue screen so you can see what it says. 

Thursday, June 10, 2010 7:36 PM

All replies

• When you purchase a computer from Dell with Windows pre-installed, Dell is the sole source of support.  Dell customizes their installations for their hardware environment.  Microsoft has absolutely NO RESPONSIBILITY for any customizations Dell does!  So, the only place for the correct answer is Dell.  Have you tried posting in the Dell Support Forum?

See info @ http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/contact-support

Thursday, June 10, 2010 12:53 PM
  • After the machine posts, start hitting the F8 key.  That will bring up a boot menu.  On that menu will be an option to disable automatic restart on system failure.  It will halt the machine on the blue screen so you can see what it says. 

Thursday, June 10, 2010 7:36 PM
  • Hi,

Please completely remove the drive for DW1525 and reinstall the latest version from DELL:

Atheros Wireless 1525 WLAN Mini Card Desktops

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regarding the “microsoft virtual wifi miniport adapter”, it is just a virtual device and it is related to a new feature in Windows 7, Wireless Hosted Network:

About the Wireless Hosted Network

If it is not needed, you can disable it with running the following command in an elevated command prompt:

netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=disallow

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Friday, June 11, 2010 3:17 AM