none
Schedule1 to schedule2 task links from one schedule to another - The task links being set across schedules are not re-calculating RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

We are using MS Project 2007 professional and have task links from one schedule into another.

Task A Project1 has a predecessor link from task 356 Project2. there are a number of other tasks in Project2 that drive task 356 as well.

We have a situation where the other tasks in project2 drive task 356 past the baseline start date which than of course drives TaskA Project1 to be late (Exactly what we want).

So.....we review Project2 and than bring the forecast START date of task 356 back in so it isn't showing late anymore.

With both Project1 and Project2 open, the field START is NOT being reset based on the link from Project2. It still is showing the previous date in START. We actually have to break the link and re-link before it will re-establish the dates correctly.

I thought that MS Project would re-calculate these external task links when changes were made in the respective schedules.

What could possibly be the issue?

Thanks

Tuesday, May 3, 2011 1:29 PM

Answers

• Hotmail1,

For making cross-project links I prefer & recommend the method outlined by Dale Howard in your other post. Your method of typing in all the data is prone to human error and its a lot of extra work.

Your statement about 2 links to the same locations indicates the linking structure has already become corrupt, probably due to too much link editing (break and make). With corruption there could be additional reasons why things are not updating properly. Unfortunately you will probably have to "kill the structure" and start over with a clean slate. Hopefully you have backup copies of both files prior to linking. I'd start with those. If not, you could try cleaning up what you have but it will take some time. I'd start by breaking all external links between files. Then use Save As to the same filename for both files. At that point you might want to use method 4 of FAQ 43 to clean up both files. Then set up external links per Dale's method.

To answer you last question there is no such thing as "common" sense. Everybody has their own interpretation of what constitutes "sense". As I stated in one of my other responses to your multiple posts, it's not the number of external links that will do a user in, it's the file link structure creation and maintenance discipline, or rather the lack thereof, that causes problems.

Hope this helps.

John

Tuesday, May 3, 2011 8:54 PM

All replies

• Hotmail1,

First of all I assume your links are via external predecessors/successors and not of the paste link variety. Second, I assume you have calculation set to "automatic". Third, go to the MVP website at, http://www.mvps.org/project/faqs.htm, and take a look at FAQ 50 - Successor's start date is different from predecessor's finish date, to see if any of those items apply.

Note: constantly breaking and re-making links can lead to file corruption. See my response to your later post.

Hope this helps.

John

Tuesday, May 3, 2011 2:44 PM
  • Thanks John

I did go to the site and review but none of those are what is happening.

The method I use in linking tasks in separate projects is......................

i.      Create a Cross Project Link – Open Project 123 and Project ABC.  

ii.      Let’s say Task C in Project ABC has a Predecessor of Task 2 in Project 123. Click on Task C and select the “Task Information” icon and select Predecessor.

iii.      In the Predecessor ID area type in the name of the Project and the ID of the task that is the predecessor in this case Task 2 of Project 123. So…in the ID would go Project 123\2. Task2 happens to be ID 2.

The issue remains that......It is simply not recalculating.... the only way I have is to reconstruct the link. f9 doesn't recalculate it.

Also, I have noticed that there are 2 successor external links pointing to the same location as shown below. I have simply highlighted the one link in the predecessor and clicked on teh Delete button. Any idea how this would be occurring?

C:\_TTS_MACRO_2011_04_29\MACRO Build 11-15.1 - Financial.mpp\651,185,C:\_TTS_MACRO_2011_04_29\MACRO Build 11-15.1 - Financial.mpp\651

Also, is there just a common sense rule that says "Limiting external links" would reduce anyone's risk of exposure to corruption of schedules associated with external links?

Thanks

Tuesday, May 3, 2011 5:54 PM
  • Hotmail1,

For making cross-project links I prefer & recommend the method outlined by Dale Howard in your other post. Your method of typing in all the data is prone to human error and its a lot of extra work.

Your statement about 2 links to the same locations indicates the linking structure has already become corrupt, probably due to too much link editing (break and make). With corruption there could be additional reasons why things are not updating properly. Unfortunately you will probably have to "kill the structure" and start over with a clean slate. Hopefully you have backup copies of both files prior to linking. I'd start with those. If not, you could try cleaning up what you have but it will take some time. I'd start by breaking all external links between files. Then use Save As to the same filename for both files. At that point you might want to use method 4 of FAQ 43 to clean up both files. Then set up external links per Dale's method.

To answer you last question there is no such thing as "common" sense. Everybody has their own interpretation of what constitutes "sense". As I stated in one of my other responses to your multiple posts, it's not the number of external links that will do a user in, it's the file link structure creation and maintenance discipline, or rather the lack thereof, that causes problems.

Hope this helps.

John

Tuesday, May 3, 2011 8:54 PM