Vista loads, but screen goes blank RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using a Compaq nx7010 notebook which comes with a ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 graphics card.

When Windows Vista installs a default Microsoft driver is installed, which causes the screen on my notebook to go blank. The operating system works fine, but you are unable to see anything on the screen. If you use remote desktop from another computer you can successfully connect and use the Operating System.

I've spoken to ATI and HP and none of them are able to provide me with a way to fix this, since they claim that it is a Microsoft driver.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Johan Liebenberg

Monday, September 18, 2006 12:41 PM

Answers

• On my system with Vista RC1....Vista loads and gets to the log on screen...All looks good...If I dont type my password within the first 5 to 6 seconds... the screen goes blank, but still shows the Vista RC1 in the lower right corner and mouse moves.  So, I disabled password log on for now.  Boots up no prob.  The only problem now is the system resources being sucked up by something that the task manager wont show me.
    Tuesday, September 19, 2006 9:27 PM

All replies

• When remote to a computer, it is using the display card driver on the local machine. THerefore, have u tried t update the display card driver on the laptop? You may perform the steps from a remote computer since we cannot see anything on the laptop.
    Tuesday, September 19, 2006 8:32 AM
  • On my system with Vista RC1....Vista loads and gets to the log on screen...All looks good...If I dont type my password within the first 5 to 6 seconds... the screen goes blank, but still shows the Vista RC1 in the lower right corner and mouse moves.  So, I disabled password log on for now.  Boots up no prob.  The only problem now is the system resources being sucked up by something that the task manager wont show me.
    Tuesday, September 19, 2006 9:27 PM
  • If you are technically inclined, try the amazing "process explorer" (freeware from Sysinternals).  It's basically task manager/performance monitor on steroids.  It supports Vista.

Dave

Thursday, September 21, 2006 12:05 AM
  • The problem on the HP NX7010 notebook occurs mainly because of the Radeon 9200 video driver.

I've connected an external monitor to finish the installation successfully. After that, download the latest

original Radeon 9200 video driver for windows XP from the HP Website:

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/hpcpqnk/us/download/22629.html

This should solve the problem.

Monday, September 25, 2006 11:17 AM
  • I have Radeon 9200 AGP card.  Initially the same problem.  Downloaded Catalyst 6.11 for Windows XP.  Run the installation of Catalyst. That installation will crush.  During the Catalyst installation the ATI Radeon drivers are expanded into C:\ATI\Support\Driver.  Open Device Manager and run Update Driver for the Radeon 9200 by pointing to the C:\ATI\Support\Driver.  It works for me.  ATI in there ultimate wisdom decided not to provide Vista drivers for the 9200.  The 9200 has Pixel Shader 1.4 – below Vista minimum requirements.  Can an update of the 9200 BIOS fix that? 

andrejmart

P.S

Got ready of the Radeon and got nVIDIA, what a difference.  Vista score 5.9 on graphics.

Wednesday, December 27, 2006 2:46 PM
  • The following link gives the driver for Mobility Radeon 9200; however don't know its authenticity.

http://www.radarsync.com/vista/vista_more.php?result=0

Do write back your feedback.

Thursday, March 22, 2007 8:55 PM
  • Hi,
             I encountered same problem yesterday.I was watching some video online and suddenly Vista stopped working and i had to restart but to my surprise when i restarted:-

i was able to login fine
    but after login "blankscreen" was shown instead of desktop
    I tried to open the explorer from tsk manager but it gives the message "Windows explorer has stopped working" and on clikcing the "close option" ,the system crashes for dump and reboots and it happesn again and again

can you please help me in getting it corrected

i will be highly thankful

Shavendar
    Monday, December 24, 2007 11:04 AM
  • Hi Shavendar,

You are not the only one with this issue.  It appears that IE 7 when playing video puts large load on the CPU.  Normally my PC runs at 48 deg C.  When I play Internet video the CPU load peaks and temperature will go to 70 deg C - then crush. I have Prescott 3.4Ghz. Install SpeedFan to monitor the temperature.  Better cooling is the answer, or better CPU.

Andrejmart

Monday, December 24, 2007 11:57 PM
  • Monday, March 3, 2008 1:08 AM
     andrejmart wrote:

Hi Shavendar,

You are not the only one with this issue.  It appears that IE 7 when playing video puts large load on the CPU.  Normally my PC runs at 48 deg C.  When I play Internet video the CPU load peaks and temperature will go to 70 deg C - then crush. I have Prescott 3.4Ghz. Install SpeedFan to monitor the temperature.  Better cooling is the answer, or better CPU.

Prescott 3.4GHz CPU.  The Thermaltake cooler was replaced with Scythe Ninja Cu and 120mm fan – six heat pipes.  Now the CPU temperature will max at 50oC.  Since the upgrade, not a single blue screen.  I am running Windows Vista Ultimate.