MOSS 2007 Patch upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I need something urgent to know.

If SP3 was installed on Moss 2007 server, but never run product config wizard, then can we able to delete sp3 and reinstall it again? is it possible to remove sp3 if product config wizard was never run? What are the requirements to install sp3? Do i need to also download cumulutive updates after installing sp3? do i need to install wss sp3 and moss sp3? how it works?

2. If the password for "moss_crawler" and "moss_service" (system accounts) are resetted, then where to apply the changes in SharePoint 2007? Where to update the passwords manually in SP2007?

Thanks

chirag

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 12:40 AM

Answers

• If SP3 is installed then i wouldn't recommed you to un-install as it might create inconsistencies and neither it makes sense unless you have a good reason to do the same. If PS config was never ran then you can do it though.

Requirements to install SP3 is that you need to have SP2 installed and updated and you don't need to install any CU after it unless you want to go even on higher version than SP3 i.e June CU 2013 which was the last patch for Moss and that ends the update cycle for moss however there is one more security update post to that.

You will have to install MOSS and WSS 3.0 before running psconfig.

For moss_Crawler a/c you can update the password using below cmd or you can simply stop the Osearch service and while starting it you get the option to provide the default content access a/c

stsadm -o osearch -farmserviceaccount <domain\username> -farmservicepassword < password>

You can take a look at this article for further assisntace in reference to changing search a.c password :- https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263313(v=office.12).aspx

For Farm a/c i.e the timer service a/c which i beleive is moss_service you have run below cmd:-

stsadm -o updatefarmcredentials -userlogin DomainName\UserName -password NewPassword

If this answer's your question then please mark it as answer so that it helps others.

• Edited by switch2sharepoint Wednesday, February 11, 2015 3:38 AM
    • Proposed as answer by brijesh P Wednesday, February 11, 2015 6:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by Chirag_US(MCSE) Wednesday, February 11, 2015 6:06 PM
    Wednesday, February 11, 2015 3:32 AM

All replies

• If SP3 is installed then i wouldn't recommed you to un-install as it might create inconsistencies and neither it makes sense unless you have a good reason to do the same. If PS config was never ran then you can do it though.

Requirements to install SP3 is that you need to have SP2 installed and updated and you don't need to install any CU after it unless you want to go even on higher version than SP3 i.e June CU 2013 which was the last patch for Moss and that ends the update cycle for moss however there is one more security update post to that.

You will have to install MOSS and WSS 3.0 before running psconfig.

For moss_Crawler a/c you can update the password using below cmd or you can simply stop the Osearch service and while starting it you get the option to provide the default content access a/c

stsadm -o osearch -farmserviceaccount <domain\username> -farmservicepassword < password>

You can take a look at this article for further assisntace in reference to changing search a.c password :- https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263313(v=office.12).aspx

For Farm a/c i.e the timer service a/c which i beleive is moss_service you have run below cmd:-

stsadm -o updatefarmcredentials -userlogin DomainName\UserName -password NewPassword

If this answer's your question then please mark it as answer so that it helps others.

• Edited by switch2sharepoint Wednesday, February 11, 2015 3:38 AM
    • Proposed as answer by brijesh P Wednesday, February 11, 2015 6:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by Chirag_US(MCSE) Wednesday, February 11, 2015 6:06 PM
    Wednesday, February 11, 2015 3:32 AM
  • Hello,

Please  verify this for me. Do i need to download both WSS SP3 (KB2526305) and MOSS SP3 (KB2526299) ? If yes, then what is the order to install it? (eg: 1. WSS SP3 and 2. MOSS SP3). You have mentioned it above, but my KB number is fine or not?

chirag

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 6:18 PM