Server 2012 Admin Templates RRS feed

• Question

• Good Morning,

We are running Server 2012 as our PDC.

Can you please confirm do I need to install the below to get Admin Templates for Windows 8.1 installed?

Kind Regards,

John

• Edited by John555444 Tuesday, February 11, 2014 10:26 AM Wrong Server OS
    Tuesday, February 11, 2014 10:26 AM

Answers

• Happens whatever machine I try to download the admin templates on.

Not really an issue now though as I downloaded the admin templates, found them on C: and have copied and pasted them into my PolicyDefinitions folder in sysvol.

Sunday, March 2, 2014 1:21 PM

All replies

• Tuesday, February 11, 2014 10:28 AM
  • Hi John,

It always good idea to have templetes form latest OS. You just need to extract this file or install it on a temp location and then copy the PolicyDefinitions folder to central location

\\FQDN\SYSVOL\FQDN\POLICES\ paste Policydefination folder here if already exsists paste all the meterail from folder inside policydefination.

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 10:36 AM
  • Yes :)

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 10:39 AM
  • Hi John,

As Muhammad Umar Bhatti said, you can get the latest ADMX files via updating the store folder of the files. By default, the folder is stored in %SystemRoot%\PolicyDefinitions folder. And if you have created Central Store for Group Policy Administrative Template files, the folder is stored in \\FQDN\SYSVOL\FQDN\policies. You can simply coveride the folder with the newer version to update it.

Regards,
    Lany Zhang

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 3:56 PM
  • When I run the msi it doesn't actually seem to put the admin templates anywhere. Not in the folder it is supposed too or in policydefinitions......

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 4:51 PM
  • Try in this way

Download the file and put it in a temp folder on your local machine's desktop

Run the execution file and when installing give the install path to desktop\temp folder.

Once the installation finishes it should put PolicyDefination folder inside temp folder.

Then just copy the PolicyDefination folder to a DC

Once on DC copy PD folder to \\fqdn\sysvol\fqdn\policy\policydefination

I.e. your domain name is yahoo.com

\\yahoo.com\sysvol\yahoo.com\policy\policydefination

Hope this helps

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 4:58 PM
  • > anywhere. Not in the folder it is supposed too or in policydefinitions......

Check %ProgramFiles%... :)

Martin

Mal ein GUTES Buch über GPOs lesen?

NO THEY ARE NOT EVIL, if you know what you are doing: Good or bad GPOs?
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment :))
    Tuesday, February 11, 2014 5:11 PM
  • I was setting this to export to a file on my desktop. The msi was just in my downloads folder.

It turned out that it just created a PolicyDefinitions file on C:/.

Anyway I copied these across to sysvol, and it seems to of worked.

Kind Regards,

John

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 10:45 PM
  • Hi John,

Based on my testing, you can Select Installation Folder as the following shortcut shown. Do you mean that your selection took no effction?

Regards,

Lany Zhang

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 3:21 AM
  • Correct it took no effect! They just got saved into a PolicyDefinitions folder directly on c:/ no matter what I set on this screen
    Wednesday, February 26, 2014 8:45 AM
  • Hi John,

It is a very strange issue. Does this issue still exist if you change another DC?

Regards,

Lany Zhang 

Sunday, March 2, 2014 1:12 PM
  • Happens whatever machine I try to download the admin templates on.

Not really an issue now though as I downloaded the admin templates, found them on C: and have copied and pasted them into my PolicyDefinitions folder in sysvol.

Sunday, March 2, 2014 1:21 PM
  • Hi John,

Glad to hear that there is no effect to the use of the Administrative Templates.

Regards,

Lany Zhang

Monday, March 10, 2014 2:22 AM