none
Auto delay start task if task cannot finish RRS feed

• Question

• Hello newbie here,

I got a problem, my working hours are 8am to 5pm. How do I make the software to auto delay the task if the task cannot be completed before 5pm? Doing this to avoid overtime.

Project tend to auto schedule the task even if cannot complete and will stretch to next day but due to the nature of the task, we cannot split the task to next day.

Thanks

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 12:33 PM

All replies

• Reddie11,

I'm assuming the task can in fact be completed in a single work day.

This question has been asked a few times before in this forum and you might want to do a search. Basically there are two approaches. One is to create a custom calendar that only has work time for let's say a minute at the beginning of each day during the normal work week. You can then set a milestone to this calendar and run your schedule logic through the milestone such that desired tasks only start at the beginning of a day.

A second approach is to use VBA. Tasks that must only start at the beginning of a day, or even at other times if appropriate such that they will finish before overtime would kick in, are marked with a flag. The macro checks all tasks and those with a flag are shifted to start such that they will complete in the same day.

John

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 3:31 PM