Can you use WSUS Server without the Admin Console? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 2 part question --

1)  I would just like to know if it's possible to use WSUS without using the Admin Console?  Can you just use wsusutil.exe from the command line to import the .cab file packages?  If you have a WSUS domain policy setup to automatically approve patches and apply them at a scheduled time, then it's not clear to me why you would need to use the Admin Console.  

I should point out that I'm using WSUS on a server that has no Internet connectivity.  I'm manually transferring the WSUS patches to this server.  Every time I try to use the Admin Console, I get a "Snap-in not responding" error.  I've tried several things to fix this, but no luck so far.  The only thing I haven't tried yet is uninstalling and reinstalling WSUS.

2)  When I try to use wsusutil.exe to import the .cab file packages, I get the following error --

"Fatal Error:  A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server.  The server was not found or was not accessible."

It does appear that SQL Server 2008 is installed on the server.  I'm guessing that problem #1 and #2 are related.  What I don't understand is why WSUS quit working on this server because it worked fine a year ago and has been rarely used since.  No one has made any changes regarding SQL Server, I'm pretty certain about that.

Thank you in advance.

James Hutchinson

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 1:34 AM

Answers

• It is supposed to be a WSUS .cab file.  I obtained it from a government website that provides exported WSUS packages from a government WSUS server.  The instructions from this website tell you to use the import command to import the .cab files.

The very end of the SQL error message that I mentioned above states "Named Pipes Provider, error:40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server".  It looks like both SQL Server 2008 and SQL Server 2008 R2 are installed on this server.

James Hutchinson

• Marked as answer by jhutch03 Monday, October 28, 2013 4:27 PM
    Wednesday, October 23, 2013 4:16 PM
  • I uninstalled and re-installed WSUS and the SQL error appears to be gone.  I was able to successfully run the wsusutil.exe import command on a .cab file.  The "Snap-in not responding error" is also gone. 

I'll find out in a little while if my scheduled update is successful.

James Hutchinson

• Proposed as answer by Yan Li_ Monday, October 28, 2013 6:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by Yan Li_ Monday, October 28, 2013 6:20 AM
    Wednesday, October 23, 2013 11:17 PM

All replies

• Just a couple of things I forgot to mention -- I'm using Windows Server 2008 R2 with WSUS 3.0 SP2.

James Hutchinson

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 1:47 AM
  • You can... my suggestion would be to look at some of the third party (many open source) PowerShell-based solutions. There is also a WSUS API which works remotely. You can install the management tools and then instantiate and use the .NET objects through PowerShell.
    Wednesday, October 23, 2013 6:02 AM
  • Thanks for the information.

I still have the problem where I can't use the wsusutil import command because of an SQL error.  Don't I need to use the import command for the new .cab files?

James Hutchinson

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 2:05 PM
  • Wsusutil import is for importing .cab files exported with wsusutil export. Is that what you're trying to import, or are you trying to import something else that happens to be a .cab file?
    Wednesday, October 23, 2013 3:51 PM
  • It is supposed to be a WSUS .cab file.  I obtained it from a government website that provides exported WSUS packages from a government WSUS server.  The instructions from this website tell you to use the import command to import the .cab files.

The very end of the SQL error message that I mentioned above states "Named Pipes Provider, error:40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server".  It looks like both SQL Server 2008 and SQL Server 2008 R2 are installed on this server.

James Hutchinson

• Marked as answer by jhutch03 Monday, October 28, 2013 4:27 PM
    Wednesday, October 23, 2013 4:16 PM
  • I uninstalled and re-installed WSUS and the SQL error appears to be gone.  I was able to successfully run the wsusutil.exe import command on a .cab file.  The "Snap-in not responding error" is also gone. 

I'll find out in a little while if my scheduled update is successful.

James Hutchinson

• Proposed as answer by Yan Li_ Monday, October 28, 2013 6:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by Yan Li_ Monday, October 28, 2013 6:20 AM
    Wednesday, October 23, 2013 11:17 PM