How to fix a Windows Vista Black Screen Problem? RRS feed

• Question

• My HP laptop was working this morning, but after an hour of inactivity it went down (power light off). Windows Vista Home Premium is installed.

Pressing the on switch produces either a brief flash of the power light or, sometimes, it stays on for 2-3 seconds.  There is never a cursor on screen.

I inserted the Recovery Disk. Sometimes it spins for about 5 seconds with a black screen, then the laptop turns off.

Is this a fixable problem without a hardware replacement?

I should also note that there was an update installation earlier today.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Thursday, October 13, 2011 7:32 PM

Answers

• If it's the older generation HP dv2000, dv6000, or dv9000 then it's a problem with the video card on the motherboard.  Most places will tell you that the motherboard needs to be replaced.  There are a few (including us) that can fix this kind of problem without the need to replace the motherboard.

Check the places around you and see what they say or just give us a call.

Thanks

Thank you! Computer Repair in Kissimmee
    Friday, October 14, 2011 7:46 PM

All replies

• It looks like an hardware issue , even if we are not able to boot using Recovery Disk.

Else should have tried :-

-Boot into recovery console.
    -RENAME the existing video driver.
    -COPY VGA.SYS into the driver’s old name.
    -Reboot.<note that we probably won’t have much of a display if any at all.
    -Boot back into recovery console.
    -RENAME the VGA.SYS that you copied into the driver’s name.
    -COPY the old driver that you originally renamed back into place.

Binu Kumar Small Business Server Support
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 10:50 PM
  • If it's the older generation HP dv2000, dv6000, or dv9000 then it's a problem with the video card on the motherboard.  Most places will tell you that the motherboard needs to be replaced.  There are a few (including us) that can fix this kind of problem without the need to replace the motherboard.

Check the places around you and see what they say or just give us a call.

Thanks

Thank you! Computer Repair in Kissimmee
    Friday, October 14, 2011 7:46 PM
  • Hello 2 days ago my HP laptop was working fine but I dropped it by mistake and now the screen is black and it won't go to the start menu.    Please reply as soon as you can or email me at comanderpeanut@hotmail.com.

Thanks Smiley4949

Sunday, October 23, 2011 7:33 PM