Recommended Server Requirements for Setting up Dedicted WSUS Server RRS feed

• Question

• My organization is looking to setup a dedicated WSUS server for roughly 1000 clientss and am looking for general recommendations for hardware specs and HDD space.   Any input is appreciated!
    Tuesday, May 3, 2016 3:15 PM

Answers

• I think any standard server will do for WSUS. we use the same server as SCCM for about 1000 with no issues. main thing is network bandwidth. put it on the fastest switch you have. HDD 1-2 TB, 32-64GB RAM will do.

here is my 1.5 pennies. you will only use it once a month. the other 29 days will be sitting there wasting server space, gas money and maintenance specially for 1000 nodes. down the line, you will use it for something else besides WSUS. so, depending on your budget, go big now with more than what you need so the server does not become obsolete in couple of years. You can add SCCM or asset management software, file server, WDS, MDT, etc..

Best Sam ------------------------------------------------ Please mark as answered if this solves your issue

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 4:13 PM

All replies

• I think any standard server will do for WSUS. we use the same server as SCCM for about 1000 with no issues. main thing is network bandwidth. put it on the fastest switch you have. HDD 1-2 TB, 32-64GB RAM will do.

here is my 1.5 pennies. you will only use it once a month. the other 29 days will be sitting there wasting server space, gas money and maintenance specially for 1000 nodes. down the line, you will use it for something else besides WSUS. so, depending on your budget, go big now with more than what you need so the server does not become obsolete in couple of years. You can add SCCM or asset management software, file server, WDS, MDT, etc..

Best Sam ------------------------------------------------ Please mark as answered if this solves your issue

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 4:13 PM
  • Hi krdell,

In addition to SamShoa, here is an article about Best Practices with Windows Server Update Services (also applies to server 2008(R2) or 2012(R2)) for your reference:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc720525(v=ws.10).aspx

Feel free to ask if you have other questions.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 4, 2016 7:07 AM