none
Move message to file location (not to mailbox)

Question

• Hi,

is it possible to create a transport rule or anything similar to immediately move message to a file location, even before the message is processed and moved into a mailbox?

This way I want to prevent problems like full mailbox, too large messages/attachments, etc.

And also want to prevent manual interception of the messages.

Next step would be to use the messages from the file location to be processed elsewhere (ESB or similar).

Thanx for any suggestions!

Thursday, November 5, 2015 7:51 PM

Answers

• Hello

1 its normal. increase limit for mailbox, exchange send quata warming email, or seample remove hard limit from mailbox.

2 you need increase  message size limit.
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124345%28v=exchg.160%29.aspx

3 you can create many rule on mailbox or run mailbox report powershell /full mailbox or something else

sorry my english

Friday, November 6, 2015 7:23 AM
  • Thanx for the input.

However, I guess I may have explained my question incorrect.

The situation is now that messages are delivered in a mailbox.

This results in at least 3 different problems:

1. the mailbox sometimes is full and new messages cannot be received. That is not acceptable as it is of great importance that all messages sent will be received and processed.

2. the message size sometimes exceeds the maximum, which also means the message cannot be received. Again this is not acceptable.

3. All messages should be processed automatically, eventually by a data capture solution. At this moment this is not possible as the messages have to be moved around manually. This is also not acceptable as it requires human intervention in the process which is error prone (people do make mistakes).

Therefore we are looking for a solution to immediately transport messages when they are still in transit (and before delivering them to a mailbox). Preferable moving them to a file location.

Sneff already provided some of the answers, but here are some other options:

1. You can remove your quotas on your mailboxes as Sneff has already provided. You can also create a retention policy to automatically clean up messages in the mailboxes, thus reducing the size. I would probably do a hybrid of both, where I work with the powers that be and come up with a mailbox Cap that is considered a "Soft Limit" where you let people request more space or a "Hard Limit" where you tell people tough luck this is all the storage you get.  I have seen it done both ways, neither is really the right answer.  I would also work with the powers that be and institute a retention policy where messages are automatically deleted from the users maliboxes.
    2. Like Sneff said you can increase your message size limit, although be careful with ho w large you make it.  Email is designed to send messages with small attachments, not large files.  Another option for that would be some kind of file share service (there are many out there, but Citrix Sharefile comes to mind).  Larger messages can introduce backpressure and lead to some delay processing messages.
    3. You should talk to whoever supports the data capture solution and see how they recommend importing the data into their system.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread

Friday, November 6, 2015 2:39 PM

All replies

• Hello

tip: you can limit message size /send and receive connector, or mailbox/ or check Symantec Enterprise Vault

sorry my english

Thursday, November 5, 2015 8:09 PM
  • Hi,

Based on my knowledge, there is no such rule to move message to a file location.

I understand you want to limit mailbox lize and message size.

Please have a look at the following links:

Understanding message size limits

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124345%28v=exchg.160%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Configure storage quotas for a mailbox

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa998353(v=exchg.160).aspx

Hope it's helpful to you.

Regards,                                                                                           

David 

Friday, November 6, 2015 6:14 AM
  • Thanx for the input.

1. the mailbox sometimes is full and new messages cannot be received. That is not acceptable as it is of great importance that all messages sent will be received and processed.

2. the message size sometimes exceeds the maximum, which also means the message cannot be received. Again this is not acceptable.

3. All messages should be processed automatically, eventually by a data capture solution. At this moment this is not possible as the messages have to be moved around manually. This is also not acceptable as it requires human intervention in the process which is error prone (people do make mistakes).

Therefore we are looking for a solution to immediately transport messages when they are still in transit (and before delivering them to a mailbox). Preferable moving them to a file location.

Friday, November 6, 2015 7:12 AM
  • Hello

1 its normal. increase limit for mailbox, exchange send quata warming email, or seample remove hard limit from mailbox.

2 you need increase  message size limit.
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124345%28v=exchg.160%29.aspx

3 you can create many rule on mailbox or run mailbox report powershell /full mailbox or something else

sorry my english

Friday, November 6, 2015 7:23 AM
  • Thanx for the input.

Sneff already provided some of the answers, but here are some other options:

1. You can remove your quotas on your mailboxes as Sneff has already provided. You can also create a retention policy to automatically clean up messages in the mailboxes, thus reducing the size. I would probably do a hybrid of both, where I work with the powers that be and come up with a mailbox Cap that is considered a "Soft Limit" where you let people request more space or a "Hard Limit" where you tell people tough luck this is all the storage you get.  I have seen it done both ways, neither is really the right answer.  I would also work with the powers that be and institute a retention policy where messages are automatically deleted from the users maliboxes.
    2. Like Sneff said you can increase your message size limit, although be careful with ho w large you make it.  Email is designed to send messages with small attachments, not large files.  Another option for that would be some kind of file share service (there are many out there, but Citrix Sharefile comes to mind).  Larger messages can introduce backpressure and lead to some delay processing messages.
    3. You should talk to whoever supports the data capture solution and see how they recommend importing the data into their system.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread

Friday, November 6, 2015 2:39 PM