SCCM and App-V integration - script to pre-load App-V cache? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've seen that there is a script for pre-loading the softgrid cache but is there one for App-V so that one could deploy virtual applications overnight and stream them to the app-v cache ready for faster execution?

I believe using SFTMIME will do the preloading but how to get it to know what's in the sccm cache to stream to the app-v cache?

Any ideas?

Thans,
    Stephen.
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 2:54 PM

Answers

• Hi,

well, there is "SFTTRAY.EXE" the has the "/LoadAll" parameter...

Download and Execute means, that first the application is copied down to the client and after that is is presented to the user. Of course the issue reamins that downloading does necesarily not happen during Maintenance Window. Forcing the download during the Manintenance Windows might be possible by enforing a reboot during Maintenance...

Falko
    • Marked as answer by StephenCWLL Wednesday, May 13, 2009 8:15 AM
    Friday, April 24, 2009 8:09 AM
  • Since DeepFreeze will restore to a given snapshot, I think that you simply want to modify your procedures for dealing with virtual applciations to match that of non-virtual apps.

After deploying a new virtual application the download and execute will have everything in the local PC sccm cache.  You would have to test, but I think a sftmime /load command on the app will then fill the SFT cache without the user needing to run the app. 

Sftmime is preferred over sftload /loadall because the latter will stop if it encounters any problems (meaning apps published after the errored app never get loaded).  The typical script uses sftmime with a query command and loops on that output to load each app individually.  Bonus points are scored for scripters that recognise multiple apps from the same package and only sftmime /load once, but even if you don't do that the sftmime command will see that the app is already 100% cached and quit quickly.  The scripts you find on-line may be for 4.2.  The syntax changed a little in 4.5, plus the query output now has to go to a file rather than an in-line capture, but it is all pretty straight-forward.

After doing this, you then take your new deepfreeze snapshot.  I can't recall hearing of anyone using DeepFreeze and SCCM before.  Are others doing this?

• Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, May 12, 2009 7:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by StephenCWLL Wednesday, May 13, 2009 8:16 AM
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 3:26 PM

All replies

• Hello,

The scenario you are talking about is called Download and Execute.

The scenario is described in; http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/appvirtualization/cc843994.aspx and the whitepaper for SCCM integration.
    The headline for it is;

Local Delivery (Download and Execute)

/Znack

Thursday, April 23, 2009 3:43 PM
  • Hi

So we have the scenario where we want to use SCCM and App-V, we maintain the state of our PCs using Faronics DeepFreeze and we have an overnight maintenance window for patching, application deployment etc.

Using the Download and Execute method means that the application doesn't reach the App-V cache until first run of the app - correct??

If this is so then we would use Download and Execute method to present the application to the client PC, but we then need a method to 'stream' the application to the App-V cache within the maintenance window - otherwise the application will be re-streamed everytime a user needs it - because of DeepFreeze :-(

sftmime looks like the way forward but in the absence of a 'load all' switch will require some serious thought - has anyone else had to do this?

Thanks

Greg
    Friday, April 24, 2009 7:58 AM
  • Hello,

"Using the Download and Execute method means that the application doesn't reach the App-V cache until first run of the app - correct??"

No, it means that the app will be downloaded to the sccm-cache and then published to end-user. The application is available from the clients local-cache, thus available at any time.

I have no idea of DeepFreeze and how this relates to this functionality.

/Znack
  • Hi,

well, there is "SFTTRAY.EXE" the has the "/LoadAll" parameter...

Download and Execute means, that first the application is copied down to the client and after that is is presented to the user. Of course the issue reamins that downloading does necesarily not happen during Maintenance Window. Forcing the download during the Manintenance Windows might be possible by enforing a reboot during Maintenance...

Falko
    • Marked as answer by StephenCWLL Wednesday, May 13, 2009 8:15 AM
  • ____,

Not really sure, but can you simply tell the advertisement to ignore the maintaince window?
    (in regards to that the maintaince window is not a process decided time, but simply a setting in SCCM)

/Znack
    Friday, April 24, 2009 8:20 AM
  • OK thanks guys - the muddy water is slowly clearing :-)

So I was a little ambiguous about the maintenance window - it represents the sysadmin window for maintaining our PCs and is set to match in both DeepFreeze and SCCM - obviously we can circumvent the SCCM one at will, sadly this is much more difficult with DeepFreeze.

So our path looks like Download and Execute within the maintenance window and then perhaps run a scheduled task using SFTTRAY.EXE /LoadAll to ensure the apps are correctly presented to our users.

We'll test this out next week and post our findings.

Thanks again

Greg
    Friday, April 24, 2009 8:31 AM
  • Since DeepFreeze will restore to a given snapshot, I think that you simply want to modify your procedures for dealing with virtual applciations to match that of non-virtual apps.

After deploying a new virtual application the download and execute will have everything in the local PC sccm cache.  You would have to test, but I think a sftmime /load command on the app will then fill the SFT cache without the user needing to run the app. 

Sftmime is preferred over sftload /loadall because the latter will stop if it encounters any problems (meaning apps published after the errored app never get loaded).  The typical script uses sftmime with a query command and loops on that output to load each app individually.  Bonus points are scored for scripters that recognise multiple apps from the same package and only sftmime /load once, but even if you don't do that the sftmime command will see that the app is already 100% cached and quit quickly.  The scripts you find on-line may be for 4.2.  The syntax changed a little in 4.5, plus the query output now has to go to a file rather than an in-line capture, but it is all pretty straight-forward.

After doing this, you then take your new deepfreeze snapshot.  I can't recall hearing of anyone using DeepFreeze and SCCM before.  Are others doing this?

• Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, May 12, 2009 7:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by StephenCWLL Wednesday, May 13, 2009 8:16 AM
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 3:26 PM