App-V customization of application RRS feed

• Question

• How could we can customize to a level of a Admin studio packaged msi in APp-V ? do we have to packaged it first and then sequence the application
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 7:05 AM

Answers

• The best way I know to answer your question is  that I have been a long time user of both Wise Package Studio and InstallShield/AdminStudio and I have not found anything I can do with those applications that I can't during sequencing configuration or scripting in App-V, other then the limitations of App-V on the applications that can't be virtualized. If you are designing a script to run on a local client, you can do just about anything you want or need to do. So, you are able to do just about everything you can do with a custom action action in a MSI.

That said, the simplest way to put in customizations is to do them during the sequencing process. The scripting is used in cases where change have to be made that can't be done as part of the configuration. Like using the "computer name" or "user name". I have also used them to install a driver that is needed for the application but can not be sequenced.

I have in a couple of cases reconfigured a MSI with a transform prior to sequencing. We just use all the tools we have to get the job done in the best and most efficient way.

• Marked as answer by techsavvy9009 Wednesday, April 28, 2010 9:48 AM
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 4:20 PM

All replies

• During the sequencing process after the application is installed and while still monitoring, perform any additional manual configuration steps which are not part of the application installation process. These steps can involve configuring a connection to a ‘back-end’ database, copying updated files, etc. Execute the application, multiple times if necessary, until the program is in a static state. For example, run the application multiple times to get past all registration and dialog box requests. Some applications perform different tasks on first launch, second launch, and sometimes subsequent launches. You can also copy in any extra files needed, modify shortcut or any other customization needed that you would perform in Admin Studio. Document everything that is done so you can duplicate it in the future.

If you have user customizations, those will need to be added with custom scripts added to the sequence. For those you might check out the article on the App-V Team Blog located here. http://blogs.technet.com/softgrid/archive/2007/04/18/using-scripts-with-softgrid.aspx

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 11:51 AM
  • thanks xltel

but do these scripts have a complete command over the msi package as in admin studio or wise studio????????? and all the client spesification for the application can be done through these scripts??????

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 12:46 PM
  • The best way I know to answer your question is  that I have been a long time user of both Wise Package Studio and InstallShield/AdminStudio and I have not found anything I can do with those applications that I can't during sequencing configuration or scripting in App-V, other then the limitations of App-V on the applications that can't be virtualized. If you are designing a script to run on a local client, you can do just about anything you want or need to do. So, you are able to do just about everything you can do with a custom action action in a MSI.

That said, the simplest way to put in customizations is to do them during the sequencing process. The scripting is used in cases where change have to be made that can't be done as part of the configuration. Like using the "computer name" or "user name". I have also used them to install a driver that is needed for the application but can not be sequenced.

I have in a couple of cases reconfigured a MSI with a transform prior to sequencing. We just use all the tools we have to get the job done in the best and most efficient way.

• Marked as answer by techsavvy9009 Wednesday, April 28, 2010 9:48 AM
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 4:20 PM
  • Thanks xltel .i think i got it .thanks once again
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 9:49 AM