Windows 10 Anniversary Update - Network location problems RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I was recently prompted to upgrade one of my machines to the anniversary edition of Windows 10 so I did.

I have experienced all manner of problems with the upgrade resulting in me performing a clean install of Windows 10 and then upgrading before I tried anything else.  However, thats history.

My problem is simple.  Now that I've re-installed Windows 10 and fully updated I started to re-install all my other software.  

The first step to do this was to add an existing Network location where all the software installations are located.  Only I can't now map that network location, when I go into the wizard and enter the address I get the error message "The folder you entered does not appear to be valid. Please choose another."

Now it's lightly more complex than that as the network location is on a NAS device that sits on a different subnet (192.168.30.0/24).  However, from the machine with a problem (which is on subnet 192.168.1.0/24) I  can successfully connect to the NAS Web interface (so routing is working successfully) AND other Windows 10 machines (that don't have the latest upgrade) and are on the same sub net (192.168.1.0/24) are successfully connecting to the NAS.

Go figure as this looks like something in the latest upgrade broke Network locations.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Iain

Iain

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 4:16 PM

Answers

• HI Mr Happy,

My latest set of results.

After rebuilding Windows 10 again, I slowing updated until I got to 1607 (anniversary).  I checked again and my network shares continued to work.

I then upgraded to 1607 and checked again.  My network shares continued to work!

I then completed all the upgrades to bring the machine fully up to date.

Guess what, my network shares continued to work!

Not sure if the original update got corrupted or if something else is at play here and I'm not really going to speculate..  Suffice to say that it may be possible there was some corruption so if anyone else experiences this, I suggest you start again.

On an aside, I did notice that rebuilding a Win 10 machine from scratch is a lot easier (and quicker) than upgrading previous versions... Now all I've got to do is add all the other products :-(

Iain

Iain

• Marked as answer by Haywardi Thursday, October 6, 2016 9:52 AM
    Thursday, October 6, 2016 9:52 AM

All replies

• Searching that error message (unusual error to me) seem to point to something in it checking the overall path is wrong.

What protocol is being used to connect (if that is known)? Any ports being entered?

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 5:53 PM
  • Hi Mr Happy, 

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. 

A couple of thoughts..Firstly I think the protocol is cif...  And no I'm not asserting  a port.  

However,  as I had to trash the machine when I had another problem (know ssd problem) I thought I would trash it again,  this time not updating to the anniversary version.. 

Guess what? Problem is no longer there.   Windows 10 happily connects to my Nas in another subnet again.  

Think it's safe to say the anniversary version has broken shared folders/network locations.  

Or am I missing a new setting somewhere? 

Iain 

Iain

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 6:48 PM
  • Well cifs so thinking SMB of some sort, searching the error you posted gives WebDAV so wondered on that.

Searching this forum for NAS on the recent posts different issues caused by the anniversary release and NAS \ Linux shares. So yes guess something has gone amiss. I am running the Insider build and I can see my Linux machine again when the anniversary could not. So thinking they will be addresses.

If you do try the anniversary build again get all the updates when you do. Might also be worth looking at disabling the SMB 2/3 support see if that would help. But guess you are ok on the 1511 for now.

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 8:35 PM
  • HI Mr Happy,

My latest set of results.

After rebuilding Windows 10 again, I slowing updated until I got to 1607 (anniversary).  I checked again and my network shares continued to work.

I then upgraded to 1607 and checked again.  My network shares continued to work!

I then completed all the upgrades to bring the machine fully up to date.

Guess what, my network shares continued to work!

Not sure if the original update got corrupted or if something else is at play here and I'm not really going to speculate..  Suffice to say that it may be possible there was some corruption so if anyone else experiences this, I suggest you start again.

On an aside, I did notice that rebuilding a Win 10 machine from scratch is a lot easier (and quicker) than upgrading previous versions... Now all I've got to do is add all the other products :-(

Iain

Iain

• Marked as answer by Haywardi Thursday, October 6, 2016 9:52 AM
    Thursday, October 6, 2016 9:52 AM