none
Help using Switch Protection PS commands RRS feed

• Question

• can someone help me understand the correct verbiage to use with the following two DPM PowerShell commands

Start-ProductionServerSwitchProtection

Start-SwitchProtection.

First and foremost, please do not suggest running the command with get-help  -full or -details, etc...  I have tried that and there are no examples.  I am just trying to understand what variable to use when running the command,

a brief history of why I am looking at these commands. Also, if there are not the correct command, I would like to know if any one has any suggestions of what to try.

I have a primary DPM where the disk crashed. On my secondary DPM, I right clicked on the items within the protection group and selected switch disaster protection. This allowed me to take recovery points of all the data.  I modified the protection group to change the frequency of the job. It was set for the synchronization frequency at 12 hours, recovery points for file based recoveries at 8:00pm . I updated the schedules to be every 6 hours for syncs and to create recovery points for files at 6:00am, 12:00pm and 6:00pm. the protection group has 18 SQL DBs and a file based item. After I recovered the disk on the Primary DPM and recereated the recovery/replica allocations, I went to the secondary DPM and tried to switch the disaster protection back to the primary. all items moved but 15 DBs.  the protection group in question had 1 file based item, and 18 sql DB based items.  the sql\master, model and msdb all moved back to the primary but the 15 other DBs are not able to switch back to the primary DPM.  I think the Secondary DPM still thinks it is the active owner of the DBs consistency checks and recovery points fail.

one other bit of info that may or may not matter, is that the SQL DBs are hosted in one building (the same as the primary DPM) are mirror to a box in our DR environment (same as the seconday DPM)

if you need any further info, please ask. it has been a few weeks now and I have no secondary DPM recovery points of these SQL DBs. 

thanks

Ian

Ian

Monday, June 30, 2014 3:46 PM

Answers

• I have no need to use the PS command to switch the protection. I was able to resolve the issue myself and used the GUI command to switch the protection.

when I was on the secondary DPM, I tried the switch protection command again. I reread the message it said that my mirrored server in my DR environment (we will call this SQL_DR) was the owner and that if I wanted to switch protection, I would need to stop protection of system protection and try the switch protection command again.

I misread the message before but now I understand it.  I have two resources backed up from SQL_DR. the first was a System protection of SQL_DR locally to the secondary DPM. (I have the secondary DPM taking BMRs of all the server in my DR environment.

the next resource was a D volume on SQL_DR  this D volume hold documents from our production environment, so they are a copy of what files off the production SQL server.  instead of transferrin the 1.2TB of data over the wan from the primary DPM to the secondary DPM, I figured copy the data locally, (which is already sent over the wan from the production SQL to  SQL_DR.) once I also removed that D volume from protection, the switch protection command was successful. 

Ian

• Marked as answer by The_Krayze Thursday, July 3, 2014 1:48 PM
    Thursday, July 3, 2014 1:48 PM

All replies

• bump

Ian

Thursday, July 3, 2014 1:25 PM
  • I have no need to use the PS command to switch the protection. I was able to resolve the issue myself and used the GUI command to switch the protection.

when I was on the secondary DPM, I tried the switch protection command again. I reread the message it said that my mirrored server in my DR environment (we will call this SQL_DR) was the owner and that if I wanted to switch protection, I would need to stop protection of system protection and try the switch protection command again.

I misread the message before but now I understand it.  I have two resources backed up from SQL_DR. the first was a System protection of SQL_DR locally to the secondary DPM. (I have the secondary DPM taking BMRs of all the server in my DR environment.

the next resource was a D volume on SQL_DR  this D volume hold documents from our production environment, so they are a copy of what files off the production SQL server.  instead of transferrin the 1.2TB of data over the wan from the primary DPM to the secondary DPM, I figured copy the data locally, (which is already sent over the wan from the production SQL to  SQL_DR.) once I also removed that D volume from protection, the switch protection command was successful. 

Ian

• Marked as answer by The_Krayze Thursday, July 3, 2014 1:48 PM
    Thursday, July 3, 2014 1:48 PM