how to run and setup the LINPACK benchmark for HPC with the latest versions of Intel® MK L on the Windows Server 2012 platforms RRS feed

• Question

• Dear HPC Team.

I'd like to know how to run and setup the LINPACK benchmark for HPC with the latest versions of Intel® MKL including compiling source code(HPL 2.1), setting up environment for the machines and also making adjustments on input parameters for LINPACK on the Windows Server 2012 platforms

In case of using MS LIZARD(current Version is HPL 1.0a),  Do I need to make a new executable file(xhplmkl) from visual studio with the latest versions Intel® MKL and HPL 2.1?  

I will really appreciate if you can provide some guidance to make a new executable file from visual studio with the latest versions of Intel MKL and MS MPI
    I want to get the benchmark result from MS Lizard using
    new executable file

[HPC Cluster]  

1. Head Node
      1. PowerEdge R730 Server * 2
      2. OS: Windows Server 2012R2 + Windows HPC Pack 2012
      3. CPU : Intel Xeon E5-2660 v3 2.6GHz,25M Cache,9.60GT/s QPI,Turbo,HT,10C/20T * 2
      4. Memory : 16GB RDIMM *16 = 256GB
      5. NIC : Intel X520 DP 10Gb DA/SFP+ Server Adapter
    2. Compute Node
      1. PowerEdge M630 Blade Server * 56
      2. OS: Windows Server 2012R2 + Windows HPC Pack 2012
      3. CPU : Intel Xeon E5-2660 v3 2.6GHz,25M Cache,9.60GT/s QPI,Turbo,HT,10C/20T(105W)
      4. Memory : 16GB RDIMM *6 = 96GB
      5. NIC_onboard : QLogic 57840S 10Gb Quad Port KR Blade Network Daughter Card
    3. Network Switch : (20GigE)
      1. Dell Force10 MXL 10/40 GbE DCB Blade Switch Factory Installed in M1000e Chassis Redundant * 8

Best Regards,

JK Lee

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 1:37 AM

Answers

• Hi JK,

Based on my understanding, you could directly download the newest installation package for Windows which has already included the executing file.
    I have searched the package out and downloaded it to verify it in my lab computer.
    Please search LINPACK binary in BING search and you would find the download link.

Besides, for further assistance about this, I would suggest you post in a dedicated LINPACK benchmark forum, there you should get more experienced responses.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 9:21 AM

All replies

• Hi, JK,

Here is a high level step by step LINPACK guidance, please take a look and see if it is helpful:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/chinahpc/archive/2008/05/20/step-by-step-linpack-guidance.aspx

In order to run LINPACK on windows platform, first you should find out right version of source code and compile it.

For further assistance about this, I would suggest you post in a dedicated LINPACK benchmark forum, there you should get more experienced responses.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by wjjune Sunday, January 3, 2016 6:52 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by wjjune Sunday, January 3, 2016 6:52 PM
    Wednesday, December 30, 2015 9:14 AM
  • I’m sorry I got confused on Microsoft Lizard for LINPACK Benchmark 

I have some questions as following document in MSDN

[Run Lizard in Express Tuning Mode -Updated: September 11, 2013]

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee146527%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396#

Note shows

“Also, in advanced tuning mode you can specify a different LINPACK binary to use, select the HPC cluster”   .

1. What does it mean by “LINPACK binary”? Is it mean to existing “xhplmkl” executable file?
    2. If so, should I need to change existing executable file(xhplmkl) to a new executable file with the latest versions Intel® MKL and HPL 2.1 for the LINPACK Benchmark?
      1. My head node CPU is Intel Xeon E5-2660 v3 2.6GHz  
    3. How to make a new executable file to use for the Microsoft Lizard? Do I need to build a executable file using visual studio?

I would appreciate if you could give more details about my questions

My email is jklee@baynex.co.kr

Thanks and Regards,

JK Lee

Sunday, January 3, 2016 9:29 PM
  • Hi JK,

Based on my understanding, you could directly download the newest installation package for Windows which has already included the executing file.
    I have searched the package out and downloaded it to verify it in my lab computer.
    Please search LINPACK binary in BING search and you would find the download link.

Besides, for further assistance about this, I would suggest you post in a dedicated LINPACK benchmark forum, there you should get more experienced responses.

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 9:21 AM