How to set a SfB user's presence status to 'Available' or 'Unknown' permanently? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to allow users to make phone calls to an external party by adding them to our addressbook. In order to achieve this, I ended up creating a user in AD, then I enabled said user on the SfB server and set their 'Line URI' to be the external phone number. The user now appears in the addressbook as intended, however, I am unable to make the call as I receive the following error: 'User is unavailable or may be offline'. 

So now I need to figure out a way to either make this user appear online/unknown permanently or to allow calls to be made to offline users - I would prefer to do the former. 

Any help would be much appreciated.

Monday, April 17, 2017 12:31 PM

Answers

• I'm trying to allow users to make phone calls to an external party by adding them to our addressbook. In order to achieve this, I ended up creating a user in AD, then I enabled said user on the SfB server and set their 'Line URI' to be the external phone number. The user now appears in the addressbook as intended, however, I am unable to make the call as I receive the following error: 'User is unavailable or may be offline'. 

So now I need to figure out a way to either make this user appear online/unknown permanently or to allow calls to be made to offline users - I would prefer to do the former. 

Hi Sainim,

Is it just phone numbers or external party also using Lync/Skype?

if it is just a phone number you can add a AD contact and fill the number in E164 format. Then the address book will see this and sync to your contact list.

Greetings,

Erdem

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

The external party is not using Lync/SfB, it's just a regular phone number.

I've tried adding them as a contact in the past but it hasn't worked. Where should I add the E164 number exactly?

Thanks

Hi Sainim,

Greetings,

Erdem

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

• Edited by Er-D Wednesday, April 19, 2017 2:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by sainim Thursday, April 20, 2017 5:51 AM
    Wednesday, April 19, 2017 2:23 PM

All replies

• If you make a AD user and sip enable,the user will act as internal user.Whenever you dial the number it will resolve to internal user and try to reach that user and failed to reach because it is not logged in.

Instead of that you can simply add E164 format number in SFB client.

Jayakumar K

Monday, April 17, 2017 1:58 PM
  • If you make a AD user and sip enable,the user will act as internal user.Whenever you dial the number it will resolve to internal user and try to reach that user and failed to reach because it is not logged in.

Instead of that you can simply add E164 format number in SFB client.

Jayakumar K

I see... Would there be a way to add the number for all users from the server? Because it is not practical for me to do this for each user manually. 
    Monday, April 17, 2017 2:22 PM
  • Hi sainim,

Based on my research, so far, there is no method to add the number for all users from SFB server side one time, you need to add it one by one manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 7:23 AM

Hi Sainim,

if it is just a phone number you can add a AD contact and fill the number in E164 format. Then the address book will see this and sync to your contact list.

Greetings,

Erdem

• Proposed as answer by Er-D Tuesday, April 18, 2017 10:00 AM
    Tuesday, April 18, 2017 9:59 AM

Hi Sainim,

Greetings,

Erdem

I've tried adding them as a contact in the past but it hasn't worked. Where should I add the E164 number exactly?

Thanks

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 1:40 PM

Hi Sainim,

Greetings,

Erdem

Thanks

Hi Sainim,

Greetings,

Erdem

• Edited by Er-D Wednesday, April 19, 2017 2:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by sainim Thursday, April 20, 2017 5:51 AM
    Wednesday, April 19, 2017 2:23 PM

Hi Sainim,

Greetings,

Erdem

Thanks

Hi Sainim,

Greetings,

Erdem

Thanks so much! This worked flawlessly.
    Thursday, April 20, 2017 5:51 AM
  • Hi sainim,

Thanks for your confirmation, it will help others who have the similar issue.

Regards,

Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 20, 2017 6:16 AM