Multiple Taskbars RRS feed

• Question

• Having multiple taskbars in XP is probably one of the biggest productivity boosts in how I work.  Finding this capabililty lacking in W7 is quite a shock. I rely on having a 2nd one on the left to run frequently used programs all the time.

If there's no way to do this in W7, are there any 3rd party tools that can take up the slack?

Thanks.

Friday, November 13, 2009 12:05 PM

Answers

• You can create toolbar on the taskbar, but moving them to a different location on the screen is no longer functional, at least as far as I have seen and tried.

Stardock has some nice utilities that work fairly nicely, such as object dock. http://www.stardock.com/products/objectdock/ . They have a free version and a plus version.

Although personally since I made the move to Win 7 I haven't felt like I needed them with the way the new Task bar behaves. Right now I have 14 programs and snapins that I use pretty regularly docked on my task bar, and it seems to work pretty well, along with my dual monitor setup, and virtual desktop manager things stay pretty well organized.
    • Marked as answer by RichardGG Friday, November 13, 2009 10:21 PM
    Friday, November 13, 2009 2:41 PM

All replies

• You mean dragging folders to the edge of the screen and having them pop up as new taskbars?
    Friday, November 13, 2009 12:29 PM
  • You can create toolbar on the taskbar, but moving them to a different location on the screen is no longer functional, at least as far as I have seen and tried.

Stardock has some nice utilities that work fairly nicely, such as object dock. http://www.stardock.com/products/objectdock/ . They have a free version and a plus version.

Although personally since I made the move to Win 7 I haven't felt like I needed them with the way the new Task bar behaves. Right now I have 14 programs and snapins that I use pretty regularly docked on my task bar, and it seems to work pretty well, along with my dual monitor setup, and virtual desktop manager things stay pretty well organized.
    • Marked as answer by RichardGG Friday, November 13, 2009 10:21 PM
    Friday, November 13, 2009 2:41 PM
  • xX_JMO_Xx

The Stardock utility is perfect.  I have RSI and just the reduction of effort to swipe the mouse left instead of down makes a big difference to me believe it or not.

Thanks very much!
    Friday, November 13, 2009 10:21 PM