Importing WSUS DB on downstream replica server? RRS feed

• Question

• We have over 100 servers at remote sites that we need have act as downstream servers from the main WSUS at HQ. It currently has ~ 70 GB of WSUS content and we obviously can't bring that amount across the WAN.  I've found/read a few articles about moving data from one server to another in a migration scenario (as outlined here, for example), but does this apply in the same way to a replica server? 

What is the best way to go about this?  I've got over 100 remote locations I've been tasked to do this with (assuming it can be done) - so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thursday, August 13, 2015 8:10 PM

Answers

• Hi,

>>It currently has ~ 70 GB of WSUS content and we obviously can't bring that amount across the WAN.

If you want to save the VPN bandwith between the HQ and remote site, please follow the steps below:

Temprarily change the downstream server to synchronize from Microsoft Update, then just import the metadata exported from upstream server. Run the command below:

wsusutil reset

After the downstream server finish downloading the content from Microsoft Update, change the setting back.

If you don't want to synchronize the WSUS server through internet, you may need removable storage to achieve your goal.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc720512(v=ws.10).aspx

Best Regards.

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Chrysippus Tuesday, August 18, 2015 2:48 PM
    Friday, August 14, 2015 3:22 AM