Outlook 2007-Starting to receive "551 virus infected mail rejected" message RRS feed

• Question

• Good Morning,

For the past week, I have had one user of Microsoft Outlook 2007 start to receive rejected emails with the following error:

"551 virus infected mail rejected (Malformed container violation)"

This morning, I had a second user start. 

I have narrowed it down to "forwarded" email with attachments.

Our webhost, 1&1, has no clue as to what this error is and they insist that we are infected with a virus or it is an Outlook problem.  Both computers are "clean".  I have completed an internet search, and this issue is just now starting to pop up with no known solutions.

The only thing I have not done yet is reinstall Outlook.  I'm not totally convinced that Outlook is the issue and that a reinstall will fix.  I'm still going to try it unless someone else can think of a solution.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

Thursday, March 1, 2012 4:03 PM

Answers

• My clients had this same problem. I called 1&1 and they said they are aware of the issue, and it is a problem with their system. They are working on it right now.

• Marked as answer by jcb209 Friday, March 2, 2012 7:29 PM
    Friday, March 2, 2012 3:25 PM

All replies

• Something about the way you have configured your message is causing their server to reject it. If you are getting errors I might suspect that there are some addresses in your address book that are 'malformed'. Also i can think cause rejection by a server is too many names in an email 'TO:' address [it looks like spam]. 

DeVa, M.S., {MSFT} Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help

Thursday, March 1, 2012 6:16 PM
  • Same here.  Also using 1&1.  The effected users do not have virus protection enabled on the email server.  The undeliverable response comes from "System Administrator", but does not say what rejected it.  There are no internet headers in the undeliverable response so I think it either comes from Outlook itself or from 1&1 smtp and not from the recipient.

Forwarding problem sample: This email does NOT have an attachment. Just one recipient. Nothing appears amiss in the internet headers, haven't tried to get the raw msg, yet.

Users 1,2,3,4; a=1&1; b=other

1a --> 2a (undeliverable)
    1a --> 3a OK (can forward from certain 1&1 to another)
    3a --> 2a (undeliverable, can't forward back to another 1&1)
    3a --> 4b (undeliverable, can't forward to non-1&1)
    3a --> 1a OK (can forward it back)

doesn't make any sense to me.

Thursday, March 1, 2012 7:39 PM
  • Good Morning,

For the past week, I have had one user of Microsoft Outlook 2007 start to receive rejected emails with the following error:

"551 virus infected mail rejected (Malformed container violation)"

This morning, I had a second user start. 

I have narrowed it down to "forwarded" email with attachments.

Our webhost, 1&1, has no clue as to what this error is and they insist that we are infected with a virus or it is an Outlook problem.  Both computers are "clean".  I have completed an internet search, and this issue is just now starting to pop up with no known solutions.

The only thing I have not done yet is reinstall Outlook.  I'm not totally convinced that Outlook is the issue and that a reinstall will fix.  I'm still going to try it unless someone else can think of a solution.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

I Have a Client with the SAME issue and the SAME WEB HOST.. I scanned the computer and found no viruses and a few malware items.. and it does in fact only happen if you try to forward an email with an attachment. Out of all the users on 1and1.com at this office the only person having this issue is the CEO.. go figure..

Cant figure out what to do.. 1and1 support is more interested in getting you off the phone than trying to find the issues..

Friday, March 2, 2012 2:22 PM
  • Something about the way you have configured your message is causing their server to reject it. If you are getting errors I might suspect that there are some addresses in your address book that are 'malformed'. Also i can think cause rejection by a server is too many names in an email 'TO:' address [it looks like spam]. 

DeVa, M.S., {MSFT} Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help

My user has been using the same outlook settings for years, ( all 5 users do) and this issue just started last week.. no changes made to the settings.
    Friday, March 2, 2012 2:35 PM
  • Same issue on my office computer, with no viruses or malware and - surprise - 1&1 as my webhost and smtp outbound server.

Same issue on my father's home computer, with - wait for it - 1&1 as his webhost and smtp provider. Totally unrelated 1&1 accounts.

Problem goes away if either of us uses an alternate SMTP to send the exact same forwarded message.

No 1&1 tech support person, either via email or phone support, seems to have a clue. They suggest things like using port 587 instead of 25 (which each of us was already doing anyway).

The problem started about 10 days ago (that is, around 20 Feb 2012).

Friday, March 2, 2012 2:53 PM
  • My clients had this same problem. I called 1&1 and they said they are aware of the issue, and it is a problem with their system. They are working on it right now.

• Marked as answer by jcb209 Friday, March 2, 2012 7:29 PM
    Friday, March 2, 2012 3:25 PM
  • It is definetly a 1and1 issue. I changed my SMTP to Comcast and the problem went away. Try getting 1and1 to admit to an issue, then fix it. It would be like a dog chasing it's tail. I am glad I had Comcast available.
    Friday, March 2, 2012 5:57 PM
  • I just received an email from 1&1 support. They finally admitted to the glitch.  There is no time frame to resolve the issue. 

Thanks for all who responded.  The info helped!

Friday, March 2, 2012 7:34 PM
  • I just received an email from 1&1 support. They finally admitted to the glitch.  There is no time frame to resolve the issue. 

Thanks for all who responded.  The info helped!

I sent this thread to them in an email to show them there is more than just My client with this issue.. lets see what happens.
    Saturday, March 3, 2012 10:33 PM
  • Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting us.

The issue has been reported to our administrators and they are still working on it.  They have also mentioned that they had searched the issue and they had found the following:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360/360-mistakenly-thinks-an-email-has-a-virus/m-p/669855#M67551

Do you have any antivirus installed on your local machine?  If yes, could you try to disable it temporarily and  send an email? 

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

suppose we will see how this turns out.

Sunday, March 4, 2012 2:04 AM
  • The message I have been using to test this worked today.  Is this fixed for you guys now, too?  I'm going to check on my clients....

32 35 30 20 4D 65 73 73 61 67 65 20 30 4D 61 72 52 71 2D 31 52 70 65 4D 53 33 59 72 34 2D 30 30 4B 6B 4E 75 20 61 63 63 65 70 74 65 64 20 62 79 20 6D 72 75 73 33 2E 70 65 72 66 6F 72 61 2E 6E 65 74 0D 0A
    250 Message 0MarRq-1RpeMS3Yr4-00KkNu accepted by mrus3.perfora.net..

WeakReference this!

Monday, March 5, 2012 3:38 PM
  • Sorry, spoke too soon.  Clients still can't forward.  Worse for some. The test message I used that I could forward to one, but can't forward to another.  I capture the packet from 1and1, it is clearly their server that is the problem (not scanner, isp, etc.)

This isn't formatted well but it show outlook talking to smtp.1and1.com (74.208.5.17) on port 587.  After sending the email this is the response:

4175 7:51:48 AM 3/5/2012 2176.7802144 OUTLOOK.EXE 74.208.5.17 CACI-38356   TCP 
    TCP:Flags=...AP..., SrcPort=Submission(587), DstPort=1312, PayloadLen=66, Seq=242832098 - 242832164,
    Ack=1300294818, Win=65520 (scale factor 0x0) = 65520 {TCP:398, IPv4:96}

Frame: Number = 4175, Captured Frame Length = 120, MediaType = ETHERNET
    + Ethernet: Etype = Internet IP (IPv4),DestinationAddress:[00-24-2C-1B-8C-9A],SourceAddress:[00-E0-7D-74-38-81]
    + Ipv4: Src = 74.208.5.17, Dest = 172.17.0.20, Next Protocol = TCP, Packet ID = 63037, Total IP Length = 106
    - Tcp: Flags=...AP..., SrcPort=Submission(587), DstPort=1312, PayloadLen=66, Seq=242832098 - 242832164,
    Ack=1300294818, Win=65520 (scale factor 0x0) = 65520
        SrcPort: Submission(587)
        DstPort: 1312
        SequenceNumber: 242832098 (0xE7952E2)
        AcknowledgementNumber: 1300294818 (0x4D80ECA2)
      + DataOffset: 80 (0x50)
      + Flags: ...AP...
        Window: 65520 (scale factor 0x0) = 65520
        Checksum: 0xC765, Good
        UrgentPointer: 0 (0x0)
      - TCPPayload: SourcePort = 587, DestinationPort = 1312
         TCPPayloadData: Binary Large Object (66 Bytes)

02 4B 05 20 0E 79 52 E2 4D 80 EC A2 50 18 FF F0
    C7 65 00 00 35 35 31 20 76 69 72 75 73 20 69 6E
    66 65 63 74 65 64 20 6D 61 69 6C 20 72 65 6A 65
    63 74 65 64 20 28 4D 61 6C 66 6F 72 6D 65 64 20
    63 6F 6E 74 61 69 6E 65 72 20 76 69 6F 6C 61 74
    69 6F 6E 29 0D 0A
    .K. .yRâM€ì¢P.ÿðÇe..
    551 virus infected mail rejected (Malformed container violation)..

WeakReference this!

Monday, March 5, 2012 4:06 PM
  • I am still having this problem with multiple clients in multiple domains hosted by 1&1.

Has anyone made any progress in getting this resolved?

Calls to 1&1 support is a waste of time.

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 5:15 PM
  • I've had this bookmarked since you first created it. Finally got some time to reply to this. My company does have 1and1 and we have been having the same issue since about February 23rd and we use Outlook 2010. To add on to this whatever they did also reactived about 30 email addresses from past employees going back as far as 3-4 years. HUGE security risk. I sat there for a while and deleted all of the reactived ones that were previously deleted. When I called their tech support 1and1 looked at me like if I was crazy.

Like someone already said don't bother calling them it will literally get you no where. The first time I called we exchanged emails back and forth for about 4 days and they ended up telling me that it was my anti-virus software. After getting the anti-virus tech support and completely shutting down my anti-virus it still did not work. Performed this on a computer with no anti-virus at all and it still didn't work. It was obviously not my anti-virus nor outlook.

I called 1and1 again for a second time and this time they pretty much kept denying that it was something on there part and I pretty much ended it there. This was about March 1st that I gave up with them; just admit there is a problem with you guys so I can present my bosses with this information. (Whoever got them to admit their glitch I must learn your tactics) At the time I couldn't find anything on the internet about this. I searched again on Friday morning (day after this was made) and boom there this thread was in google.

What's irking me the most is that 1and1 keeps bringing up anti-virus this and that. It is not caused by anybody else, it is you that has the problem. 

Sorry for the little rant. But I was testing again today and forwards are still being blocked with the same error.

• Edited by JEG1985 Wednesday, March 7, 2012 9:56 PM
    Tuesday, March 6, 2012 10:04 PM
  • The problem seems to have been fixed as of about 3 PM EST today. I did not hear from 1and1 about what the solution was but so far I am now able to forward messages without receiving the 551 error. Is anyone still having the issue?
    Tuesday, March 6, 2012 11:02 PM

• The following recipient(s) cannot
    be reached:

*@name.comon 3/6/2012
    5:08 PM

551 virus infected mail rejected
    (Malformed container violation)

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 1:44 AM

• The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

3/7/2012 7:58 AM

551 virus infected mail rejected (Malformed container violation)

Have been having this problem since mid February. Multiple calls to 1and1 and my virus software vendor have gotten me nowhere. I am calling 1and1 again this morning to at least express my irritation with this issue. Will update if I get any answers.

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 2:56 PM
  • I just received the same 551 virus infected mail rejected and I also have 1 and 1.  I have had a horrible time with them and I have been migrating my clients over to a different provider, but I still have quite a few on 1and1 email servers.  So they have not fixed this problem as of today 3/7/12.
    Wednesday, March 7, 2012 3:11 PM
  • Here is 1and1's response to my issue;

"We appreciate your cooperation in sending the bounce back
    email to us. Checking on that details we found out that you are affected with
    the 551 virus infected mail rejected (Malformed container violation and we had
    this issue last day. Our Administrators are working for the resolution. Right
    now, all the affected Customers are requested to turn off the Anti virus and
    firewall in there local machine and try to send email. An update will be send
    to you once we completely fix this case. Your patience is highly appreciated."

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 9:13 PM
  • Here is 1and1's response to my issue;

"We appreciate your cooperation in sending the bounce back
    email to us. Checking on that details we found out that you are affected with
    the 551 virus infected mail rejected (Malformed container violation and we had
    this issue last day. Our Administrators are working for the resolution. Right
    now, all the affected Customers are requested to turn off the Anti virus and
    firewall in there local machine and try to send email. An update will be send
    to you once we completely fix this case. Your patience is highly appreciated."

If this really is a virus this would be the dumbest thing you can do. I'll will be pushing my company to transfer accounts away from 1and1 in the near future.

I don't know if this helps anybody but Kaspersky tech support managed to find out for me that 1and1 has a few ip's that are blacklisted on a few of those spam blocker websites.

• Edited by JEG1985 Wednesday, March 7, 2012 9:55 PM
    Wednesday, March 7, 2012 9:54 PM
  • So I am like a number of others of you that have been
    getting the same 551 error. I am one of those that have been getting it since
    February 23. I am a 1 and 1 customer and have been for quite a few years and
    generally they've been pretty good. But I contacted them on the 24th about this
    issue to see if they had any solutions and they had me send a bunch of e-mails
    their way and they sent e-mails back to several of my client e-mails checking
    things from there and then said there was no problems and then blamed it with
    something on my end.

The machine I am having the most trouble on is a Windows 7
    ultimate using Outlook 2010, so we can pretty much say it is not just an
    Outlook 2007 problem.

I can forward e-mails all day long as long as they are not
    to one of the domain names that I own. I have e-mails on three different domain
    names and have forwarded e-mails from an e-mail in one domain name to an e-mail
    in another domain name and still get the 551 error. All three domain names are
    managed by 1 and 1. I do not need to have any attachment on any of the
    forwarding e-mails I've even tried forwarding a non-HTML text only e-mail and
    it still does not work. So all fingers currently point at 1 and 1. I realize
    what I'm saying here does not really help anyone directly but it does broaden
    the scope quite a bit as to who all was having problems and that is not related
    to the software necessarily that is managing the e-mails on the personal
    computercomputer and it would appear not to have anything to do with attachments either.

Oh, and i forgot to say this computer is only currently using MS Essentials but i have scanned it with Malwarebytes, Spybot Search and Destroy and 1 other and no Virus found.

• Edited by Tool-Pro Thursday, March 8, 2012 12:44 AM
    Thursday, March 8, 2012 12:40 AM
  • After I wrote the last comments I called 1 and 1 again since I already
    had a history from back in February to see if there are any updates.
    Basically the answer was no and they couldn't even find the fact that there was
    an issue that had been registered about this error, go figure. What they did
    have me do was change a bunch of the advanced settings in Internet e-mail
    settings such as changing incoming server POP 3 to 995, check that server
    requires an encrypted connection and change outgoing server SMTP two 587 and
    set encrypted connection to SSL. None of this changed anything.  Their final comment was that Outlook 2010 itself was corrupted as a program with a virus and that I needed to remove it from my computer and reload it.  They had me try a forward email from with in web mail and that dd not produce the error so they say there is nothing more they can do.

After I got off the phone I remembered something very
    similar to this happening to me several years ago. When it turned out to be was
    my ISP provider has several of their IP numbers blacklisted by one of those
    companies that police the Internet and blacklist ISP IP numbers that get caught
    spreading viruses. And of course these companies want money to take these IP
    numbers back off their blacklist and thus it took about a week once it was
    identified to get it resolved because of the ISP provider butting heads with
    the blacklist company. It had the same effects that is starting to happen with
    e-mails this time. First it curtails a few items and then it keeps cutting off
    more and more forwarding options and e-mailing options eventually. Originally
    it was only one person in my office I could not e-mail to, now it is everyone
    within the office. It is also spread to all my personal e-mails also, as I
    manage about 20 different e-mail accounts for myself. It appears this might be what
    is going on.

I also than tried all kinds of combinations of forwarding
    and just sending e-mails to an address on the same domain through 1 and 1. Here
    are a couple of the more strange combinations and the results:

Take the bounced back e-mail stating the 551 error and
    forward that right back to the e-mail address that you just tried to send it to
    when you got the message. My results were that it went through fine.

Click reply to an e-mail that you know causes the bounce
    back, copy all of the contents from that e-mail and now open a new e-mail and
    paste it in the new e-mail and send it. I get the bounce back error 551.

Now take that same bounced back e-mail and forward it to the
    same e-mail, but now before you send it paste in the contents from the original
    e-mail in the second experiment and send it. That e-mail goes through fine.

Take an e-mail that was sent to you from the person you're
    trying to send the e-mail to when you get the 551 error and forward it back to
    them. I get the bounce back error 551.

I also sent new e-mails with different pieces but not the
    entire thing the e-mail that would produce the bounce back error 551 and could
    not find anyone of the pieces to create the error only when you cut and paste
    the entire e-mail.

All others in the office can forward email to me with no issues but i can not forward it back to them.

I do not have an email server within the office so it all goes out over the internet and comes back through 1 and 1.

Can anyone draw any conclusion of consistency between what
    gets bounced back and what doesn't?

Also looked at what updates or programs were loaed the day things started and the day before, there where 7 MS updates to Windows the day before and a Adobe  Reader 10.1.2 update.  There was also MS Outlook Social Connector that was down loaded a week before.  lookig a little suspicious.  Anyone else have any of the same updates that took place right before they had email troubles?

• Edited by Tool-Pro Thursday, March 8, 2012 7:35 AM
    Thursday, March 8, 2012 7:03 AM
  • Well another call to 1and1, this time they do have an open ticket issue related to this 551 error and I am
    supposed to be notified now, will see. <o:p></o:p>

One more thing that I tried, start a new email to an known rejected email and drag and drop the email you want to forward into the new email as an attachment and what do you know it goes through fine even though a cut and paste of the content into the new email gh. Now if that email had a virus any virus software in the
    world should flag it since it is now an attachment, but it does not when it is an attachment.

Or here is even a better one. click forward on a known email that produces the 551 and strip all the content out of it by simple deleting it. Then take the original email and drag and drop it into the forward email as an attachment to the email that has had everything in the body deleted, and for me this even goes through fine.  If it was anything to do with something showing up in the header this shows it is not. So, whatever is tripping it up is not in the header or any attachments, it is something that is showing up in the body of the email apparently.

Sorry for writing so much but I am hoping someone will recognize the pattern or try some of these themselves
    and recognize the problem. Although most likely it is a 1and1 issue and out of our hands.

• Proposed as answer by Tool-Pro Thursday, March 8, 2012 4:31 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Tool-Pro Thursday, March 8, 2012 4:31 PM
    Thursday, March 8, 2012 8:50 AM
  • We are having the same issue for the past week, I email the 1&1 tech support and this is there reply, its very frustrating to get this kind of reply without any resolution until now...

Thank you for contacting us. We apologized for the inconvenience that may have caused you. Are you using Outlook as your email client? This is a reported issue. Our Admins are working on this. Rest assured this issue will be solve as soon as possible. We advise you to use another email client or our 1&1 Webmail for the mean time. Your patience is highly appreciated. Thank you for bearing with us. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thursday, March 8, 2012 9:03 AM
  • I experienced this problem myself on a web app that allows a user to share an FAQ article via email with someone else.  After digging, I found the issue wasn't related to the email headers themselves (combinations of reply-tos, froms, senders, to, etc) but rather the message body.  In our particular case, the issue that was causing 1and1's system to go nuts was that the email was sent as a plain text body and started with "To: Name (Address)\r\nFrom: Name (Address)".  I removed those lines at the top of the email body and the malformed container violation error ceased.

My suggestion to each of you is to see if your error ceases by sending your email with only a valid HTML body (not dual mode or plain text).  That should encapsulate any weird content their system thinks it is being smart by checking for.

• Edited by AMD Avenger Thursday, March 8, 2012 2:18 PM
    Thursday, March 8, 2012 2:17 PM
  • Still getting the forward problem. This was confirmed to me by 2 of my employees around 9 AM this morning. Today is 03/08/2012

I forgot to mention that I did a complete uninstall/reinstall of Office 2010 on a few of my network's workstations a week back and it did nothing but waste my time.

If you check the header of your email there will be an IP address in which your emails are being routed to. The IP should be owned by 1and1 just reference it to double check. My anti-virus tech support then checked that IP on www.mxtoolbox.com

They even sent me the link of the results. It shows that this specific IP is being blacklisted on 3 different websites. Redhawk, Sorbs, and Spamcannibal

What sucks is you have to be the owner of the IP to get it removed which means we are at the mercy of 1and1.
    • Edited by JEG1985 Thursday, March 8, 2012 3:19 PM
    Thursday, March 8, 2012 3:17 PM
  • My clients seem to have the most problem forwarding HTML emails that were generated by some program or another, so I suspect the HTML is malformed.  I was able to convert to plain-text and forward OK, but others cannot which makes me think there are multiple things the smtp server is flagging.  I really can't expect my clients to have to reformat or re-write or cut-n-paste things together when everyone else on the planet can just simply forward.  I can't imagine it is that difficult for 1and1 to turn off this feature on their smtp server.  Even if we figure out what is wrong it really won't help our clients who just want to forward their email.

P.S. You all can quit worrying about anti-virus, ISPs, viruses, re-installing anything, etc.  As I posted above (in maybe too cryptic style) the culprit is entirely 1and1 smtp server.  After you post your email it should respond:

250 Message accepted by mrus3.perfora.net

but, instead it says (sometimes):

551 virus infected mail rejected (Malformed container violation)

this is directly from the server, not from a blacklist or an antivirus or an ISP; it is not a bounceback message or any kind of email message at all -- it is the response from the server after you upload the last line of the email.

WeakReference this!

Thursday, March 8, 2012 3:18 PM
  • Well it appears that sometime this morning 1and1 may have solved the problem. I retried a number of the scenarios
    that I listed above this morning and none of them created a bounce back error. 

I would like to here from other as to whether they are still having issues or whether theirs has also mysteriously
    gone away also.

• Proposed as answer by Tool-Pro Thursday, March 8, 2012 4:35 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Tool-Pro Tuesday, March 13, 2012 7:35 AM
    Thursday, March 8, 2012 4:35 PM
  • Just tried it. I was also able to forward a message that I couldn't before.  Fingers crossed, but this happened before (see Monday post) until I forwarded to another address.  Can't imagine why sometimes it works.

WeakReference this!

Thursday, March 8, 2012 5:17 PM
  • Well I spoke too soon.  I tried to forward a different email from a differnet email account and just go the error 551.  So not all is resolved yet.  but again i could forward it as an attachment to a new email.

P.S. I tried PixelShader's idea of just getting rid of the to/from header inserted at the beginning of all emails when I forwarded it and that worked fine. If that works it is a simple enough "Temporary" solution but definitely not a permanent one.  1and1 definately needs to get to the bottom of this.

• Edited by Tool-Pro Thursday, March 8, 2012 9:03 PM
    Thursday, March 8, 2012 8:53 PM
  • I just had my users make the attempt, since people are saying it's fixed.  So far, successful this afternoon.  Thanks to everyone who helped me push this issue through 1 and 1.  I have my fingers crossed!
    Thursday, March 8, 2012 9:00 PM
  • The problem still exists.  I use 1&1 for my personal email and when I tried to forward something this morning, I got the "551 virus infected mail rejected" error. 

I can reply and put the person's name in the send box and it works fine, just can't forward...

Friday, March 9, 2012 12:09 PM
  • My clients also have 1 and 1.

Here is what I found. 

1: the email comes in from 1 and 1.

2: Forwarding using 1 and 1 does not work UNLESS...

3: strip the header off the reply email.  IE everything from the bottom of your message till the subject matter of the original email

Then 1 and 1 will not reject it. 

If you examine the header of the original email, it appears that 1 and 1 is adding code which appears to be a virus when resent out their servers.  So if you strip off the portion that contains the header of the original email, all goes well.

So tell me if 1 and 1 servers are infected!!!!

Paul

• Proposed as answer by PaulfromNY Friday, March 9, 2012 8:06 PM
    Friday, March 9, 2012 8:06 PM
  • I am a 1and1 customer and am still having the same problem today only on forwarded emails.  Contacted them a week or so ago and of course they blamed it on Norton or a virus.  I have run complete scans and do not have a virus. 

I have turned off the Norton Outgoing Email Scanner to see if it helps. It does not.

Something interesting is that occasionally the recipient of the forwarded email told me he received the email despite the bounce back message i received.

Saturday, March 10, 2012 5:10 PM
  • This has to be a 1and1 issue.  It started for us a few weeks ago and we could recreate it by having a random attachment.  I added a simple text file from an absolutely clean machine and it rejected.  I'm frustrated it's been over 2 weeks since I first reported it, and their denials continue.  Their support is a joke, and 23 minutes on hold was frustrating.  Finally contact Viper anti-virus and they confirmed through logs it wasn't them.  It's happening on Outlook 2010 on a Windows XP machine with a local .pst file.  It was rather large at 4GB's... but it even occurred with a completely new .pst file.  And they tried to blame it on Norton as well.  PRESSURE THEM TO FIX THIS.  Or we're going GoDaddy.  More work for me, and of course it's happening to our CEO and a VIP client of mine!
    Tuesday, March 13, 2012 5:10 AM
  • I am still having the issue with forwarding emails from Outlook 2010 on a W7 Ult machine.  But in the end this has no bearing.  Also attachments appear to have no affect as I have done literally hundreds of tests each with slight changes.  text or HTML also has no affect in my tests.

Here is the simplest work around at this point that works for me:

When Outlook creates a forward email it sticks in the following header basically like the following:

Sent:Sunday, March 11, 2012 4:09 PM
    To:Joe Smith
    Subject: Trouble with 1and1 

"Body of the email"

Simply delete the "Subject" line, make sure to high light the extra couple of blank charactors at the end of the line.  Leave all the other lines as is.  The subject line in the actual header above with the To and From lines can also stay.

This has worked 100% of the time for me.

Let me know if this work around works for you.

Now about 1and1.  I Contacted them about the issue on February 24 via phone and then had a email dialogue for quite some time and then they asked me to call them.  I last called them yesterday.  They, during this last phone call admitted it was an issue on there part and that it did not have anything to do with anti virus software.  I had already checked that on a machine with no virus protection.  So now according to them I am on a list to be emailed when they get the issue resolved.  So you may want to call them and ask them to put you on the list to be contacted when they get the issue resolved.  That way they will start to get the hint as to how many are affect.  Do not bother to spend much time with them as you will get no where as the issue is with them, they admit it finally and they really do not want to hear what us out in the field have found.  When you can pin point it to one line in an email and they really show no interest, it is kind of strang.

• Proposed as answer by Tool-Pro Tuesday, March 13, 2012 7:33 AM
    Tuesday, March 13, 2012 7:33 AM
  • I too have a customer with this same problem.  I emailed him yesterday and he told me this morning that your solution of copying and pasting the info into a new message worked.

I will be calling 1and1.com and getting on the email for this subject.

thanks

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 2:25 PM
  • I also came up with something from what others said above I will try to make it simple.

If when you go to forward the information you delete the information outlook adds below the new body the email will then forward on.

To test the theory that it is this information that is malformed I also opened an email like I was going to forward it and copied the information outlook added.  i pasted it to the body of a completly new email and the system admin message kicked back.

I have forwarded this information on to 1 & 1 and they seemed like they were unaware that deleting the information Outlook adds would help. 

Hope this helps if you are unsure what I mean look at the picture below.  I will highlight the part you need to delete

had to black out some stuff but the yellow information is added by default by Outlook delete these lines and you should be good to go.

• Proposed as answer by Darth Venture Tuesday, March 13, 2012 3:48 PM
    Tuesday, March 13, 2012 3:00 PM
  • This is one of the strangest problems I have seen.

I have a 1and1 email account. This error happens when forwarding some, but not all, emails.

It is definitely a problem at 1and1. If I forward the email from my Verizon account, it works.

Many thanks to Tool-Pro for indentifying the root cause.

If I delete both the To and Subject lines in the forwarded header block, the email sends OK. If I only delete the To line it fails. If I only delete the Subject line it also fails.

If I just copy & paste the forwarding block into a new email, then it fails.

The original email that I can't forward with my 1and1 account has a long list of To: recipients. Other emails forward OK.

This problem started happening a few weeks ago.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 12:09 AM
  • I have been seeing this 551 virus response from 'System Administrator' occasionally in my 1and1 account for about a week.  Thanks for the heads up on a workaround, tool-pro!  I also got a rejection for virus infected links once, but can't find any virus on computer.

We have 1and1 for my company email, and I am a remote sales rep.  I also have a strange issue where periodically it will bounce mail back to me that I send to others in the company, on our same domain name but on a different server, physically 1000 miles away.  One person at a time, it will bounce for a day and then be fine.  Has happened four times, each time with a different addressee.  Anyone else seen this?

Thursday, March 15, 2012 7:03 PM
  • My forwards are currently working like normal. How long this will last I don't know. Is anybody experiencing this?

EDIT: Nevermind. I just tested things out with a few of our employees and it is still getting the 551 error.

-DJ-

• Edited by JEG1985 Wednesday, March 21, 2012 8:39 PM
    Wednesday, March 21, 2012 8:36 PM
  • Yesterday afternoon I tested several e-mail forwards and got the 551 error, but this morning I get in to Outlook and forward e-mails from several different accounts and cannot get the 551 error on any of those accounts. So will cross our fingers and hope they take care of it.

One thing that should be noted is that Thursday of this week I did change ISP providers, but still did get the 551 error messages after that change of ISP providers. So I'm not sure if that has any effect on why I'm no longer get the 551 errors or not but it's piece of information might be useful to some so I will include it.

1 and 1 does not appear to be the company it used to be.  Here is some background of dealings with 1 and 1 that of taken place since I've last written:

I called one and one again a week ago Thursday in pretty much demanded that I get the opportunity to speak with an actual tech support person rather than those that just answer the phone. I was promised that they would let me speak to one, but that they would have to call me back as they couldn't transferred me over to the end that it might take up to 24 hours for them to come back. Well 24 hours came and went and now 9 days have come and gone and still no call from them and the problem has persisted for at least eight days past that phone call.

In other phone calls to 1 and 1 they promised me I was on a list to be e-mailed when the problem was solved, no e-mail from them yet. Not sure how to interpret that.

Saturday, March 24, 2012 4:13 PM
  • in some futher testing I have found that it seems to be that if the number of people sent the orignal emai is more than 7 you will get the error.  I found this out by deleting each person listed on the "to" line of the text added to forwarded email.  Any number up to 7 names and it will go if there are 8 or more names on the list and it will return the 551 error.  I am calling today to get an update from one and one however I would suspect the update will be that they are aware of the issue and I will get an email once it is fixed.

Monday, March 26, 2012 5:01 PM
  • Oh BUMMER, Just had another bounce back with the 551 error this afternoon, only one person on the forward, deleted the subject line (as I have stated in more detail above) in the main body and it goes through just fine. 

I wish I had a bigger hammer to swing at 1and1.

Monday, March 26, 2012 8:15 PM
  • I just got a bounce back as well.  I am glad you guys posted all this stuff.  I was searching through trying to figure out what I had done wrong when I found this.  I too have 1and1 for the mail host.  I hope this gets fixed sometime soon. 

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 8:15 PM
  • I am getting the 551 virus infected email bounceback as well. I have put in multiple calls with 1and1 and they always say the same thing, that it is an Outlook or Norton problem. I know it's not a problem with Norton because my users use a mixture of AVG and Microsoft Security Essentials. I am almost positive this is a problem on 1and1's mail servers. This problem started happening towards the end of February and is still going on. It only happens when someone forwards email an email to another email address in our domain, most of the time with an attachment. I hope 1and1 fixes this soon.

• Proposed as answer by Jasondec72 Thursday, March 29, 2012 12:22 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Jasondec72 Thursday, March 29, 2012 12:22 PM
    Wednesday, March 28, 2012 9:53 PM
  • We have found that simply by adding some sort of text in the body of the email right above the forwarding information (the text with the header info) allows these emails to go through.

The problem appears to be in the header information.  An alternate solution is to just delete ALL of the text in the body of the email before forwarding.

Hope this helps.

• Edited by Jasondec72 Thursday, March 29, 2012 12:43 PM
    Thursday, March 29, 2012 12:26 PM
  • I am getting this message as well.  It is definitely a 1and1 issue.

I can take the same email and send it from an alternate email account in my Outlook 2010 and have it delivered with no issues.

It is not your local antivirus protection.

Thursday, April 5, 2012 8:37 PM
  • I've been getting this for the past week, I wasn't sure what the issue was until I did a search and found this forum. It has to be a 1 and 1 issue, I'm on Outlook 2011 and on a Mac so I doubt this is a virus issue.
    Monday, April 9, 2012 1:00 PM
  • Well, I called 1and1 back last night to see if there were any updates on the issue.  This time they asked to remote into my computer to see what was happening and after he saw the issue, he conceded it was there problem (although very reluctantly) and stated they had no solutions but did have a work around: “delete the entire header that Outlook adds to the forwarding email.”  Well we all knew that already, in fact you only need delete the Subject line fully or sometimes just add some text to the forwarded email.  I told him this was ridiculous to take this long to solve this issue, and asked if there was any way to talk to someone up the chain of command.  I was told they have no direct line to do that; they can only communicate via email basically, pretty lame if you ask me.  He offered for me to send an email to complaint@1and1.com, have not done that yet.

Monday, April 9, 2012 3:54 PM
  • They wanted to remote into my computer too, but that seems pointless -- after I said so and replied with details of the 551 response from their server they replied back with this:

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that this technical glitch has brought you. This is a bug on the system that is already known and reported to our developers. Unfortunately, we do not have an estimated time frame for the fix however rest assured that they are currently working on a resolution.

Once we have the fix, it will be implemented to all affected customers however to ensure that your case will be taken cared of, I will be adding the details of your case to the list of affected customers.

We understand that you might be anxious to have this fixed as soon as possible so thank you so much for patience with bearing with us while we work on the resolution.

~#~#~#~ <})__(#ff00ff)__))

Monday, April 9, 2012 8:57 PM
  • I've had the same problem for a few months.  Got the same response from 1and1 about the 551 email error.

Our administrators are currently aware of this issue and have been making progress towards a resolution.  We will inform you once it has been corrected.  Thank you for your patience.

Friday, April 20, 2012 1:28 PM
  • It is Monday morning and I have forwarded a couple of e-mails without altering the header from sources that I typically forward from and always get the 551 error, but this morning I did not get that error. Fingers crossed, anyone else experiencing positive results?

Thus far I have not received any correspondence from 1 and 1.

Monday, April 23, 2012 3:56 PM
  • Also have customer's that were experiencing this issue through 1&1 and recently they have reported that they have not received any errors in almost a week.

No official word from 1&1 yet, though as many of my users were having issues and are now working it appears that if they haven't totally fixed it that it is at least being worked on.

Monday, April 23, 2012 7:26 PM
  • I tried the one of the messages that was originally failing with the 551 message and it works now, so it looks like 1&1 did resolve the issue.
    Monday, April 23, 2012 9:18 PM
  • I tried a few emails that were being denied and they went through without problem; so far so good. I really hope 1and1 fixed this problem for good.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 4:36 PM
  • Well, the problem is back.  We will be saying goodbye to 1&1 in the next couple of months.  My work accounts, plus my 4 personal ones I have with 1&1 after 15 years with them.
    Tuesday, July 3, 2012 3:29 PM