Appv-5 Reporting Cache File Locations RRS feed

• Question

• I am now troubleshooting our Appv 5.0 Reporting, and as yet I have not found an awesome troubleshooting guide or detailed flow-chart for reporting.  Client seems to be ok, no errors doing a manual update/post to the reporting URL.  IIS logs on the reporting server show the posts.   Unfortunately, the database is not getting populated. 

Yeah, I know it looks like a database communications issue, but I really want to step through this and develop a troubleshooting guide.  So my question (at this time) is this:  Where are is the reporting cache located on the client?  Once the data gets to the server hosting the reporting URL, where does it sit until it gets sent to the database server?

Thanks!

d

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 4:34 PM

Answers

• "There may be a problem with the ProcessAppVReportingDataJob," said the sage and elder admnistrator.

Birboy erupted, "Holy SQL Logs Stutt!  You may be on to something there!  That job has been failing since July the 12th.  Ever since-"

"-ever since that evil doer 'VMguy' changed his username.  You see, Birboy, once he changed his username, SQL server could no longer associate the owner of the job with a domain account, and although the IIS server was getting the data into the unprocessed database tables, the final reporting tables would never get populated due to job failure.  I've notified the SQL authorities, and they should resolve shortly."

"But for now," he continued, "other adventures await."

...to be continued.

d

• Marked as answer by d.Stutt Friday, September 13, 2013 7:22 AM
    Friday, September 13, 2013 7:22 AM

All replies

• I assume you have attempted to use SQL Reporting Services to generate a report? Sorry, I don't have much else to add...I would guess you have your firewall configured to allow the reporting port? Have you attempted these setup suggestions:

http://kirxblog.wordpress.com/2012/11/01/remote-database-preparation-for-app-v-5/

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 11:20 PM
  • Thanks Rory,

At this point, I'm more curious about the question in the title of the thread.  That and wondering if anyone has a clean (not high level) start to finish diagram of how reporting data gets from the client to the database.

Regarding my specifc problem, I'm 90% sure it's a database authentication issue, but I'm trying to step through the entire process for edification purposes.

d

Thursday, September 12, 2013 6:40 AM
  • Hello,

The data uploaded to the SQL-database is processed once a day. Check for scheduled jobs to see when that occurs. You could read the official technet documentation, which also explains this (and the workflow of the entire thing..);

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj692560.aspx

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Thursday, September 12, 2013 7:48 AM
  • Hi Nicke,

Thanks for the link, but unfortunately I had already discovered that little "gem" yesterday.  Way too high level for what I want.  It barely describes what is happening at the client level, and it completely glosses over how IIS receives the data and then passes it to SQL.

d

Thursday, September 12, 2013 8:35 AM
  • Any issues with inserting (or receiving) reporting data will show up at the client. No error, means that its in the database.

Database processes the info once aday (as per the above link)

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Thursday, September 12, 2013 5:58 PM
  • "There may be a problem with the ProcessAppVReportingDataJob," said the sage and elder admnistrator.

Birboy erupted, "Holy SQL Logs Stutt!  You may be on to something there!  That job has been failing since July the 12th.  Ever since-"

"-ever since that evil doer 'VMguy' changed his username.  You see, Birboy, once he changed his username, SQL server could no longer associate the owner of the job with a domain account, and although the IIS server was getting the data into the unprocessed database tables, the final reporting tables would never get populated due to job failure.  I've notified the SQL authorities, and they should resolve shortly."

"But for now," he continued, "other adventures await."

...to be continued.

d

• Marked as answer by d.Stutt Friday, September 13, 2013 7:22 AM
    Friday, September 13, 2013 7:22 AM