boot mgr is corrupt system cannot boot RRS feed

• Question

• For the last week, my laptop has had difficulties in booting.  Today, I got an error message: boot mgr corrupt system cannot boot.
    I do not have a Vista OS disk, only the system recovery disk that I made.  When I use it, every time I restart my system, I get a different result.
    i've tried the system repair that takes forever.  I usually just give up on that.  Sometimes my Acer Erecover disk kicks in.
    It starts to restore to factory default, but then I get an error message: Restore failed - reason 0xa0000000.
    I don't know what else to do.
    Monday, September 7, 2009 4:10 PM

All replies

• System repair is probably the only thing that's going to work in your case (because that will fix the bootmgr). You need to be patient as it does take a long time. I don't know about the Acer Recover disk (I have a Dell with the OS disk) so I don't know why it kicks in or if it's a normal part of the repair process. If it's a normal part of the repair process, you're probably in trouble because it sounds like the disk is bad (try cleaning it).

I'm sorry to say this, but you may need to buy an OS disk and use the repair function on it (make sure you get the same version or you'll need to do a clean install). I know you don't want to hear that, but sometimes only the OS disk will work to fix a problem. Some places are offering a free upgrade to Windows7 if you buy Vista (that just happened to me with Dell though I had some special circumstances) so maybe you can turn this into something good.

Next time you buy a computer, make sure it comes with an OS disk. I think Dell makes the best PCs and their service is great.
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 2:56 PM