none
What is the difference in DirectAccess (Connectivity/Settings/Architecture) in Windows 7 Vs Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• How does the Direct Access differs in terms of the architecture/settings/connectivity etc in the Windows 7 and Windows 10 clients.

We are having issues with the Applications connecting to the License Servers hosted internally over the DirectAccess in Windows 10.

With Windows 7 Clients, the applications are connecting to the License servers without any issues over the same DirectAccess enviroment. When the same application installed on Windows 10 Client and connect over DirectAccess, it gives that the License server is not found.

Is there any difference in the way Windows 7 and Windows 10 client handles the IPv4 and IPv6 addressing etc.

I have added some environment variables like FNP_IP_ENV and FNP_IP_PRIORITY etc on the Windows 10 client machines, however, still it is not working...I can ping the license server and it resolves to the IPv6 address.

Thank you

RK

Friday, August 31, 2018 2:28 PM

All replies

• No, there shouldn't be differences between the two that would affect a specific application. Generally if an app connects fine over one platform, it will connect over any platform. Is it possible that you are using a different/newer version of the application itself on your Win10 machines? It is entirely possible that the software vendor made some changes to newer versions of the software that now cause the software to behave differently.

DirectAccess is essentially the same on Win7 or 10 - it builds a transition tunnel (generally either Teredo or IP-HTTPS), and then builds IPsec associations/tunnels inside that transition tunnel. If your DA environment is setup for Win7 machines, then you are already requiring machine certificates to be part of the authentication process, and so both platforms even authenticate the same way, by requiring that machine certificate.

What is the application that you are having trouble with? I have a lot of experience working with applications that aren't IPv6 compatible and therefore don't work over DA connections out of the box (though I can generally get them working in the end) - I'm taking a shot in the dark here, but when you talk about contacting a license server it makes me think of FlexLM and all of the applications that make use of that. FlexLM is something that I have worked with many times in the past, and there are definitely some IPv6 incompatibilities that cause it problems over DA, but those are issues that are able to be worked around.

Tuesday, September 4, 2018 12:29 PM
  • Thank you Jordan for the detailed response.

Let me answer your queries:

Is it possible that you are using a different/newer version of the application itself on your Win10 machines?

A- Same software and version, which we are able to make it work in Win 7 and now attempting in Win 10.

What is the application that you are having trouble with?

Idea Statica 8 and 9, Sofistik, Bentley, Autodesk related etc

Regarding the License servers?

We have FlexLM, HomeBrew, Sentinel HASP, CodeMeter etc in the environment.

For the FlexLM related with the environment variables - FNP_IP_PRIORITY Set to 6 and FLEXLM_TIMEOUT it works but takes time to load n performance wise slow.

However, for Non-FlexLM it does not work with the Win 10 DA.

Are there any other things that can be done other than the Environment Variables related workarounds.

Tuesday, September 4, 2018 1:33 PM
  • Yes, the way that we generally get applications connecting over DA is by using a utility called App46.

https://www.ivonetworks.com/ivo-networks-app46-directaccess/

The summary is that App46 installs onto your laptops and intercepts traffic coming from these applications (presumably IPv4 traffic streams), it then modifies those packets to be IPv6 and sends them on their way across the DA tunnels.

I have worked with both FlexLM and Autodesk in the past, I don't recognize the others offhand but I know that many of the engineering applications follow similar traffic flow patterns. If you're interested in setting up a trial of App46 give me a shout directly, we should be able to figure out pretty quickly whether or not it can resolve the issues you are seeing:

Jordan.Krause@ivonetworks.com

Tuesday, September 4, 2018 1:41 PM
  • I encountered this issue with couple of Engineering software and you need to change some environment variables as follows

Add System variable to your Windows 10 client

Variable name is FNP_IP_PRIORITY

Variable value is 6

Monday, February 11, 2019 7:50 AM