none
Disable context menu

Question

• Hello,

I posted my question on https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/9052aab5-3de6-4737-ad1c-90348ad0f0c4/open-folder-location?forum=win10itprosetup. We figured out that GPO can't do the trick and so far I didn't manage to tweak the registry to solve it. A technician on that forum tipt me to call for your help.

The situation is like this:

We are a school in Holland. Our domain has about 800 pc's, all running Windows 7. Installation is done by MDT. We have started to make an installation, by MDT, of Windows 10. The first tests are looking nice. I configured the start menu within the gpo of the domain ('Start screen layout'), works fine! Further, when students log in they can start de Windows Exlorer, but they cannot browse the c: drive. Thats good too!

The problem:

If a student logs in, and press the windows button, they can press the right mouse button on an Icon (for example Word). Then a context menu appears and they can click on 'Open file location'. Now the Windows Explorer appears and they cán browse the c:-drive.

Now I'd like to either disable the context menu or to make the option 'Open file location' fail. How can I do that?

• Edited by René Overweg Friday, December 11, 2015 8:12 AM
    • Moved by Bill_Stewart Friday, December 11, 2015 3:10 PM Move to more appropriate forum
    Friday, December 11, 2015 8:10 AM

Answers

• This can only be done by Group Policy.  YOu need to set the policy that disables access to the drive for browsing,  You are just asking the wrong question in the GP forum.

A moderator will move this question to the GP forum for you.  They will assist you.

\_(ツ)_/

• Marked as answer by René Overweg Monday, December 14, 2015 10:21 AM
    Friday, December 11, 2015 9:20 AM
  • when students log in they can start de Windows Exlorer, but they cannot browse the c: drive. Thats good too!

Hi,

Could you please let me know how you configured this?

If you don't want them to access C drive, then we can configure the "Prevent access to drives from My Computer" policy setting under:

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\File Explorer

I have tested this in my local lab, if the specific policy setting is enabled for C drive, when select 'Open file location' from the context menu, a message appears explaining that a policy prevents the action:

Please have a try and see if it works for you.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, December 14, 2015 6:38 AM

All replies

• This can only be done by Group Policy.  YOu need to set the policy that disables access to the drive for browsing,  You are just asking the wrong question in the GP forum.

A moderator will move this question to the GP forum for you.  They will assist you.

\_(ツ)_/

• Marked as answer by René Overweg Monday, December 14, 2015 10:21 AM
    Friday, December 11, 2015 9:20 AM
  • when students log in they can start de Windows Exlorer, but they cannot browse the c: drive. Thats good too!

Hi,

Could you please let me know how you configured this?

If you don't want them to access C drive, then we can configure the "Prevent access to drives from My Computer" policy setting under:

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\File Explorer

I have tested this in my local lab, if the specific policy setting is enabled for C drive, when select 'Open file location' from the context menu, a message appears explaining that a policy prevents the action:

Please have a try and see if it works for you.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, December 14, 2015 6:38 AM
  • Your briljant! I googled on your sentence "disables access to the drive for browsing".

From what I found I configured:

1. user configuration >start menu and taskbar > prevent users from customizing start menu items > Enable
    2. user configuration > administrative templates > Windows Components > File Explorer > Prevent access to drives from My Computer.

Now the user gets a message telling them they don't have access.

Monday, December 14, 2015 10:21 AM
  • Hi Ethan.

Oh, sorry, I read your post after my last reply.

Your briljant too :)

That indeed did the trick!

Monday, December 14, 2015 10:24 AM