App-V client cannot connect to Streaming Server RRS feed

• Question

• I've set up an App-V Streaming Server to service our secondary site.  We have an App-V Management Server at our primary site which is working fine.

I used the installer from the MDOP 2010 Refresh media.

The Streaming Server is configured as a non-secure system using the default port 554.  I have created inbound firewall exceptions for port 554, sglwdsptr.exe and sglwsvr.exe.  The Application Virtualization Streaming Server service is started and the server is listening on port 554.  I've shared out the "content" folder and given Everyone read rights.

From a Windows 7 system running the 4.6 version of the App-V client, when I attempt to connect to the streaming server I get the following error:

"The Application Virtualization CLient could not update publishing information from the server SERVERNAME. The server did not understand the request. Report the following error code to your System Administrator: Error code: 4604EE8-1680D40A-00000014"

In the Application event logs the following error is logged:

Failure on Desktop Configuration Server request to URL {rtsp://servername.fqdn:554/} with header {Host: servername.fqdn Content-Type: text/xml AppV-Op: Refresh} (rc 1680D40A-00000014).

This error is somewhat obscure and I've not been able to find anything useful.  Is this a server configuration problem?

Thursday, May 27, 2010 6:38 AM

Answers

• Test the connection to the Streaming Server using the App-V Ping Tool from the Immidio Resource Kit: http://immidio.com/resourcekit/

It does look like you are configuring the client to use the Streaming Server as a publishing source (configuring the server as a publishing server in the App-V client). This is not what the Streaming Server it used for - the clients in the branch office will need to connect back to the Management Server to get the application definitions (OSD and ICO files), then configure the ApplicationSourceRoot option to tell the client to stream from the local source. 

ApplicationSourceRoot info here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc843817.aspx

If you are using streaming sources for machines in remote sites, I think a better alternative it to use IIS (using HTTP as the protocol) - this will give better performance and is simpler to implement than the Streaming Server.

• Marked as answer by JamesBannan Monday, May 31, 2010 4:26 AM
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 11:25 AM

All replies

• Test the connection to the Streaming Server using the App-V Ping Tool from the Immidio Resource Kit: http://immidio.com/resourcekit/

It does look like you are configuring the client to use the Streaming Server as a publishing source (configuring the server as a publishing server in the App-V client). This is not what the Streaming Server it used for - the clients in the branch office will need to connect back to the Management Server to get the application definitions (OSD and ICO files), then configure the ApplicationSourceRoot option to tell the client to stream from the local source. 

ApplicationSourceRoot info here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc843817.aspx

If you are using streaming sources for machines in remote sites, I think a better alternative it to use IIS (using HTTP as the protocol) - this will give better performance and is simpler to implement than the Streaming Server.

• Marked as answer by JamesBannan Monday, May 31, 2010 4:26 AM
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 11:25 AM
  • Only opening Port 554 on the Streaming adn Publishing Servers is not enough, since the Client will switch to an higher port afterwards. It's recommended to enable all inbound connections to the two processes you specified. Alternatively, you can move to RTSPS (322) that only would use this port.

Falko
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 8:33 PM
  • Specifically, ports 32000 and above are used (by default).  Registry changes can be made to control these ports, but ultimately you need two "high ports" for each simultanious client connection.  

As mentioned, RTSPS solves this, although you need a server cert trusted by the clients.

• Proposed as answer by znack Monday, May 31, 2010 4:07 AM
    Saturday, May 29, 2010 12:00 PM
  • Bingo - that sorted me out. Thanks :-)
    Sunday, May 30, 2010 11:53 PM
  • Could you tell us how you solved with

Thanks

Friday, July 2, 2010 12:43 AM