Cross-build upgrades stuck on 'Configuring Settings' around 40%. RRS feed

• Question

• Can't seem to figure this one out. Happens both on an upgrade install from Windows 7 and then trying to update to a newer Win10 build and also a clean Win10 install and updating to a newer build. Update process goes goes fine right up to getting to the 'Configuring Settings' stage and right as it gets around 40% it gets no further and no input response. If I hard reboot it simply rolls back to the prior build.

Here's my setuperr.log: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=aeec7f94c1477289!9168&authkey=!AG8_gx7adTJWv6M&ithint=file%2clog

I've tried some of the other suggestions like disabling network connections but no change. But according to the wireless lights on my machine it seems like the update installation proceeds to reinstall the drivers anyways without my approval.

Sunday, July 12, 2015 5:45 AM

Answers

• Clean installs work fine. Even upgrades from prior versions of windows work fine. It's upgrading between W10 builds that are problematic. I'd rather not have to do clean installs every build and reinstall stuff all over again especially if this ends up continuing through public releases. I am hoping though and really crossing my fingers it is the GPU driver issue and AMD gets that side sorted out soon.
    Sunday, July 19, 2015 8:15 PM

All replies

• Hi,

According to the error log, Windows upgrade process encounter driver problem, such as ATI graphic card driver issue, obtain system build information problem, etc.

These problem can be caused by multiple factors. To resolve this problem, if your system installed security software or firewall, try to disable them temporarily for test.

On the other hand, try to upgrade the system again for test. If it hung at 40%, please waiting for upgrade process ending by itself. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 13, 2015 3:19 AM
  • No security software other than Defender and the built in firewall.

Just for clarification the 40% is for the 'configuring settings' part. The overall I think is like 80% or somewhere thereabouts at that stage?

I do see a lot of upgrade/installation errors fall around driver issues. In regards to ATI this is the 'in-box' driver installed from Windows Update. In fact I have not had to install any third party drivers yet on this machine as everything has came and worked off Windows Update which is especially a shocker for this model notebook.

One thing I do have to ask related to drivers is I know there is a normal option inside of Windows while running to keep it from trying to auto-install drivers for new devices. Does this apply to the installation process as well or is there some way to keep it from trying to install drivers during the installation process if that is indeed causing issues for the upgrade? I can easily live with waiting until the upgrade is complete and force the driver installs myself.

In either case I am going to give it one more shot here and let it run overnight and see where it goes. No changes I can think to make to help it out. It's almost a completely clean 10162 install. All WU device drivers. No extra security applications other than Defender and the built in firewall. I'll post updated logs if it fails again.

Monday, July 13, 2015 4:28 AM
  • I have the exact same problem. I let the installation run overnight but it was still at 40% of Configuring Settings and 84% Overall. I also tried disabling network connection as well but the only difference was that it was stuck at 39% instead. Moreover, this problem occurred when I was trying to update from 10158 to 10162. My laptop was stuck on a black screen when restarting from "Installing drivers and features" (70% Overall) and I had to hard restart the laptop so the installation continued. 

The only solution I found by the time is to download and burn the iso file on a USB and then install Windows 10 10166 on unallocated space, which is what I tried to install 10162.

• Edited by StylianosC Monday, July 13, 2015 7:17 PM
    Monday, July 13, 2015 7:14 PM
  • I did get a little bit farther this morning. I left it go overnight over the course of about 5 hours. As you noted, StylianosC, it does do the black screen thing on the last reboot before entering 'Configuring Settings'. In this particular case it was left on that the majority of those 5 hours. Normally I catch it and force reboot within a minute or two of that particular reboot. That may be the catch that I will try and test tonight. This time around with leaving it go that 5 hour stretch on the black screen after hard rebooting in the morning the overall ended up around 92% and Configuring Settings I think was 68%.

New files:

setupact.log: http://1drv.ms/1HDFS9j

setuperr.log: http://1drv.ms/1HDG0Wd

EDIT: Also because I gave it that large window of time, there's a distinct time gap in both logs to signify the hard reboot. Goes from about 1AM to 6AM.
    • Edited by vc08 Monday, July 13, 2015 8:04 PM
    Monday, July 13, 2015 8:00 PM
  • I tried both, the first time I let the installation running through the night and it stuck at the black screen, the second time I hard restarted the laptop and let it run through the night but still the next morning it was stuck at 84%.

On my previews installations I also had this problem, but when it finally succeeded the time taken to proceed from 84% to 100% was about 5 minutes and the HDD light was blinking, so it is not profitable to let the computer running through the night if the HDD light is dimmed. 

Does anyone know why is the PC stuck at a black screen at the restart before configuring settings?

Monday, July 13, 2015 8:24 PM
  • Hi,

According to the log file, I still think it's ATI driver problem cause upgrade failed. Configuring Settings contains driver configuration phrase, graphic driver configuration is important, once there is a problem with this driver, it's probably caused upgrade failed.

To fix this problem, you can try to upgrade the driver to be latest for test.

On the other hand, try to remove the graphic card driver and upgrade the system for test.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 14, 2015 3:56 AM
  • Next time the update offer pops up I am going to uninstall and clean the ATI drivers out, disconnect all connectivity and forget my home wifi network, and then try the upgrade and see if it works this time around.
    Tuesday, July 14, 2015 3:39 PM
  • Same situation on TH 10240. I did everything I could think of. Got the update ready to reboot. Uninstalled and deleted the drivers for both the AMD and Intel GPU's, disabled both network cards and forgot my local wireless network so it wouldn't be able to reconnect on the new install. Got all the way up to 92%/68% before it froze. Logs pretty much identical as before with the AMD driver entries.

Is there any possible way to stop the windows installer from doing any driver installs during that process? Or at least block that particular driver? I wish I was able to lock out the AMD GPU on this thing and force it to use Intel during these processes but that option is in a hidden menu on this notebook and setting it anything other than hybrid mode causes a non-booting system. :(

Thursday, July 16, 2015 11:02 AM
  • Same issue-- downloads 10240 100%, a restart continues the installation with "copying files" at 82% it fails, a black screen shows up for a second, then it begins restoring the previous version which is 10162.

Acerone with AMD II Neo processor, at 1.70ghz, 4 gigs memory, 250 gig hard-drive. Since build 10122 I have never been able to do a normal update. All updates through 10162 have been installed CLEAN via ISO. The iso installs especially 10162 work just fine with only a few minor bugs showing up.Looks like I will need to wait for an ISO of RTM or whatever to update this computer.

The original upgrade to 10122 was from Windows 7 -- on this computer-- it is the only time it ever worked.

Thursday, July 16, 2015 4:45 PM
  • Yup. Same. Original install was an upgrade from 7 to build 10130 and went flawlessly and that was via WU in 7. Since then nothing has managed to upgrade and has been clean installs so far. And sad to say I may just wait until the full public release and my activation status shakes out before I do another clean install if this issue isn't figured out.

Here's my system specs just as an FYI:
    HP Touchsmart TM2T-2200
    Intel first gen i5 U470
    8GB ram
    Hybrid AMD Mobile Radeon 5450/Intel graphics
    250GB SSD with about 170GB free at this stage

I have a funny feeling that it is indeed the AMD GPU drivers and I will explain why and maybe other people with similar systems can chime in. First off our particular system with these TM2's has had a rocky past with the GPU drivers. To clean install Windows 8 you have to disable automatic driver installation or else it tries to pull down drivers from WU which throw the machine into a bootloop. The only option has been to grab the one single driver package from HP built for Windows 7 dated sometime in the 2010-2012 era and HAS to be installed in compatibility mode. That is it. Other similar machines with an AMD/Intel hybrid setup are usually able to take advantage of other driver packages without issues but are not 100% solid. AMD seems to have some issues with stable supported drivers for these older mobile chipsets.

Now through some fighting from people within the community and some people at Microsoft they finally got people at AMD to start fixing this crap and that is the current stage with the provided drivers in Windows 10. Clean install and it installs drivers that actually WORK! Right from Windows Update. Both the AMD and Intel side and the hybrid functionality works. As far as I have read it is still pretty much a beta driver. The only major issue I have personally noticed and has been -mostly- fixed in the latest driver version is after screen blanking or resuming from sleep/hibernate the GPU driver crashes every. time. Now it seems to be an occasional occurrence only of resuming from sleep/hibernate while going from AC to battery or vice-a-versa when it was in that mode.

Once again, if I knew how to keep the upgrade installer from installing drivers I could probably get somewhere on this issue.

I think the only other avenue I can try right now is getting to the hidden BIOS menu and try setting it to Intel only and see if it will let me without causing it to freak. I have only tried setting it to AMD only and it always causes it to fail booting altogether and resets that setting when I reboot it. 

Thursday, July 16, 2015 5:42 PM
  • Hi,

Under this situation, it would be better to wait for fix package released.

On the other hand, please also check BIOS edition to make sure it was upgrade to be latest.

Friday, July 17, 2015 7:14 AM
  • Latest BIOS version released for this model sadly. :( I did try the hidden menu and tried setting it to Intel only but it ended up the same way and just reset itself when it wouldn't boot properly.

Yeah, I am going to wait for the driver issue to shake out. If I see any more updates for that particular driver cross my way I'll give it a go again.  Else I'll just hold out for the public release. Everything so far works amazingly well on this notebook so I am certainly not complaining! It's just this upgrade issue that is a pain. Especially when it seems like this is going to be a key feature during W10's lifetime.

Friday, July 17, 2015 11:31 AM
  • I finally fixed my problem by clean installing 10240 build on my PC. Then another problem occurred regarding the activation of my PC. So if anyone wants to try this method should also try this to activate Windows.

How to activate Windows 10 build 10240

Open an elevated (run as administrator) command prompt.
    Type the following command and hit the Enter key:
    slmgr /ipk W269N-WFGWX-YVC9B-4J6C9-T83GX
    Wait for the message box popup that the key is installed.

Now type the following command and press Enter
    slmgr /skms kms.xspace.in
    Again, wait for the message box.

Finally, enter the following command:
    slmgr /ato

Sunday, July 19, 2015 5:15 PM
  • Clean installs work fine. Even upgrades from prior versions of windows work fine. It's upgrading between W10 builds that are problematic. I'd rather not have to do clean installs every build and reinstall stuff all over again especially if this ends up continuing through public releases. I am hoping though and really crossing my fingers it is the GPU driver issue and AMD gets that side sorted out soon.
    Sunday, July 19, 2015 8:15 PM