Should I Remove content database of a site collection I am going to delete prior to delting the site collection? RRS feed

• Question

• Should I Remove content database of a site collection I am going to delete prior to delting the site collection?    Other site collections are going to stay active in the application.
    Tuesday, November 19, 2013 3:01 PM

Answers

• Hi Eric,

first be sure that your content db isn't shared with other site collections (Central administration > Application management > manage content database > (select web application) > current number of site collection = 1), then delete the site collection from central administration, then remove the db from sql server.

I suggest not to remove db before deleting the site collection, otherwise you will make the central administration inconsistent.

Hope this helps.

Fabio

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 3:31 PM
  • Since the site collections exist within the content database, removing the content database will also remove the site collection.

The difference is that removing the SC from the content DB (and allowing for the retention periods to expire) will actually remove themselves from the database, and reduce disk space... otherwise, the contents of the SC will still exist in the content database.

Scott Brickey
    MCTS, MCPD, MCITP
    www.sbrickey.com

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 3:34 PM

All replies

• Hi Eric,

first be sure that your content db isn't shared with other site collections (Central administration > Application management > manage content database > (select web application) > current number of site collection = 1), then delete the site collection from central administration, then remove the db from sql server.

I suggest not to remove db before deleting the site collection, otherwise you will make the central administration inconsistent.

Hope this helps.

Fabio

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 3:31 PM
  • Since the site collections exist within the content database, removing the content database will also remove the site collection.

The difference is that removing the SC from the content DB (and allowing for the retention periods to expire) will actually remove themselves from the database, and reduce disk space... otherwise, the contents of the SC will still exist in the content database.

Scott Brickey
    MCTS, MCPD, MCITP
    www.sbrickey.com

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 3:34 PM