32 bit upgrade to 64 bit ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ... I finally got Vista . I'm curious to know whether its true you can install the 32 bit version and if later on I wanted to install the 64 bit version ( Upgrade ) I could with the same license keys ? Or do I need to purchase new keys for 64 bit ? I'm not sure which to install as of yet and if I could do as I'm asking then I will probably go with the 32 bit . I'm stuck here any suggestions ? Thanks

Saturday, June 14, 2008 4:35 PM

Answers

• Mike

Yes, the product key can be used with either the 32bit or 64bit retail version of Vista.

If you did not get the 64bit disk in the box, you can order this from Microsoft for the cost of shipping and handling. (Usually about 7.00 USD)

Here is the link where you can order the disk.

Windows Vista Alternate Media:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/1033/ordermedia/default.mspx

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top right of this message.
    This will help others who are having this issue find the answer quicker.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Sunday, June 15, 2008 12:13 AM
  •  bbryantf wrote:

This is a clarification of the information provided above...

If you have Vista Home Premium 32-bit software installed and you have the 32-bit and 64-bit upgrade disks available and you decide that you want to install the 64-bit upgrade, you would just need to install the 64-bit disk. 

Correct?

You must perform a clean installation of the 64-bit operating system as you cannot perform an actual upgrade from a 32-bit operating system to a 64-bit operating system.

Installation choices for 64-bit consumer versions of Windows Vista
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932795

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 5:15 PM

All replies

• Mike

Yes, the product key can be used with either the 32bit or 64bit retail version of Vista.

If you did not get the 64bit disk in the box, you can order this from Microsoft for the cost of shipping and handling. (Usually about 7.00 USD)

Here is the link where you can order the disk.

Windows Vista Alternate Media:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/1033/ordermedia/default.mspx

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top right of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Sunday, June 15, 2008 12:13 AM
  • Thanks for your respond , though I might of not made myself clear in my question . I have both disk 32 / 64 . I like to know if I decide to install the 32 bit now and then later on ( 6 months ) from now I want to change to 64 bit version can I still use the same license keys ? I mean just as long as I stay with using one license per one computer with either bit version on the same keys . I know if I decide to install the 32 bit now and later if I want the 64 bit I would have to do a clean install , that goes the same with the other way around to 64 to 32  . But I like to know can I use the same keys for either installment regardless which I install first ? Thanks
    Sunday, June 15, 2008 7:12 AM
  • Mike

Yes, you can do this. As long as the previous version is removed when you install the other version.

Your good to go.

Hope this helps.

If this post helps, please check the mark As Answer Button at the top of this message.

----------------------

Ronnie Vernon

Microsoft MVP

Sunday, June 15, 2008 7:23 AM
  • Thanks Ronnie , That exactly what I would do if I ever decide to do it . Now I'm really glad I did buy Vista UI Smile
    Sunday, June 15, 2008 12:14 PM
  • Mike

Your welcome, let us know if you need anything else.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Sunday, June 15, 2008 4:02 PM
  • I've gone to www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/1033/ordermedia/default.mspx to try and order the 64 bit Vista upgrade, but all that is offered is the 32 bit CD option.  Where can I get the 64 bit DVD so I can upgrade my Home Premium to Ultimate?  I have the Ultimate DVD but it's 32 bit and my OS is 64 bit.

Monday, June 30, 2008 4:10 PM
  • Paul

That's really strange? I have used that site before and after you enter your product key and the character code, click Continue and you should see the choices for either 32 or 64bit?

Try it again and if it still does not work, call the following number during business hours pacific time. This is the direct number to that department.

United States:
    Phone: 800-834-6037

Let us know if this works.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Monday, June 30, 2008 11:12 PM
  • This is a clarification of the information provided above...

If you have Vista Home Premium 32-bit software installed and you have the 32-bit and 64-bit upgrade disks available and you decide that you want to install the 64-bit upgrade, you would just need to install the 64-bit disk. 

Correct?

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 3:49 PM
  •  bbryantf wrote:

This is a clarification of the information provided above...

Correct?

You must perform a clean installation of the 64-bit operating system as you cannot perform an actual upgrade from a 32-bit operating system to a 64-bit operating system.

Installation choices for 64-bit consumer versions of Windows Vista
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932795

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 5:15 PM
  • I bought an HP with Vista Home Premium 32-bit already installed. Can I get the "free" update DVD from Micosoft and change over to 64-bit? If not, can I buy Ultimate 64-bit "Upgrade" and upgarde my Home Premium 32-bit? My processor is 64-bit as confirmed by HP.

Thursday, November 27, 2008 2:08 AM
  • Hi

You need to check with HP for information about ordering the 64bit DVD. The Microsoft offer applies to retail packages only.

The HP pre-installed version is an OEM product that HP installs on all of their computers.

You cannot perform an upgrade a 32bit system to a 64bit system. It must be a clean installation because the architectures are completely different.

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 3:30 AM