none
Can someone explain the difference between these two replica paths RRS feed

• Question

• If I wish to access the files in a replica directly, it seems I can do one of two things.

Either I can access them directly at ...\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\Replica\File System...

Or else I can use the dpmbackup.exe - replicas command to mount the replicas, then access them at ...\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\ShadowCopy\File System...

I don't understand the differences between these two methods.  Am I accessing the same replica/files?  If so then what's the point of the second method?

Any advice appreciated.

Toby

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 2:12 PM

Answers

• Hi toby,

Explanation from Mike jacquet:

Dpmbackup -replicas creates snapshots of the replica volumes and mounts those read-only snapshots under the Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\ShadowCopy folder.  So yes, that is a point in time "view" of your replica data and you can copy it out of the snapshots to a removable disk, or to tape to take them offsite.    Each time you run dpmbackup -replicas, new shapshots get taken and exposed, so they are only current based on the time you ran dpmbackup, and will get deleted based on the retention period of the PG's.

I could be wrong but trying to access directly your Replica through ...\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\Replica\File System... is not "supported" by MS.

Stephane.

• Proposed as answer by Stephane LADUNE Tuesday, June 12, 2012 2:52 PM
    • Marked as answer by Toby Groves Tuesday, June 12, 2012 4:03 PM
    Tuesday, June 12, 2012 2:52 PM

All replies

• Hi toby,

Explanation from Mike jacquet:

Dpmbackup -replicas creates snapshots of the replica volumes and mounts those read-only snapshots under the Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\ShadowCopy folder.  So yes, that is a point in time "view" of your replica data and you can copy it out of the snapshots to a removable disk, or to tape to take them offsite.    Each time you run dpmbackup -replicas, new shapshots get taken and exposed, so they are only current based on the time you ran dpmbackup, and will get deleted based on the retention period of the PG's.

I could be wrong but trying to access directly your Replica through ...\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\Replica\File System... is not "supported" by MS.

Stephane.

• Proposed as answer by Stephane LADUNE Tuesday, June 12, 2012 2:52 PM
    • Marked as answer by Toby Groves Tuesday, June 12, 2012 4:03 PM
    Tuesday, June 12, 2012 2:52 PM
  • You're right of course!  Should have realised that the mounted replica is a read-only shadow copy, whereas the first path I mentioned above is that of the 'live' replica, which may obviously have open files in it and which thus can't be backed up directly to another storage device without using a VSS aware utility.

Toby

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 4:04 PM