Outlook 2016 Won't Open Links from Emails Copied to Desktop or Drive RRS feed

• Question

• Nothing happens at all.

This happens to Windows 10 users, but Windows 7 works fine.

The machines are fully Windows updated.

It's a volume licensed application.

Any ideas please?

Wednesday, January 8, 2020 9:09 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

What's the version of your Outlook 2016? (File > Office Account > About Outlook). Please make sure you have upgraded your Outlook to the latest version.
    Does the problem occur with some particular messages copied to the desktop or drive? Or all the messages copied to the desktop or drive?
    If you directly click a link from the message in outlook, can this issue be reproduced?

In order to further confirm your problem, it is suggested that you could conduct a test like this:

1. Create a new test email with a link in your outlook and send it out.
    2. Find the test email in Sent Items folder, click to open the link and see if the issue can be reproduced.
    3. Copy the test email from Sent Items folder to your desktop.
    4. Open the test email on the desktop, click the link and see if the issue can be reproduced.

Please provide me with your test results so I can do further research.

If  the issue can be reproduced even when you directly click a link from the message in outlook, you could try the suggestions below:

1. Browser settings may cause this issue. 
      Check if the default browser is correct (Settings > Apps > Default Programs in Windows Settings)and reset your browser settings.
    2. Incorrect registry can also cause this problem. 
      Open Registry Editor and find the location: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\htmlfile\shell\open\command.Check if the value is the same as:“C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE” %1.

Any update, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 9, 2020 7:31 AM
  • Hi,

Have you got your issue fixed?

I'm writing to see if the reply above is helpful to you.

If you have any update about this issue, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 14, 2020 1:34 AM
  • Hi ,

Have you got your issue fixed?

I'm writing to see if you have any update about this issue.

If you think my reply is helpful to you, please remember to mark it as an answer.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Tuesday, February 18, 2020 6:59 AM