Secondary Site not showing up and Status System issue RRS feed

• Question

• We installed an SCCM Current Branch 1702 Primary Site on physical hardware with SQL on the same box.  Also installed were MP, DP and SUP.

We installed a Secondary Site with a different Site Code, reporting to the Primary Site.  The Secondary Site shows up in Administration -> Site Configuration -> Servers and Site System roles.  The ConfigMgrSetup.log on the root of the C: drive on the Secondary Site says, "Completed Configuration Manager Server Setup" as the last line of the log.

Here is the problem.  The Secondary Site never shows up in the SCCM Console in the Monitoring Node -> System Status: nothing in Component Status or Site Status.  Also I tried to distribute a Package to the Secondary Site and there is no status for that either.  It's almost like the Secondary Site is only partially recognized by the Primary Site.

I have checked Distmgr.log and Scheduler.log on the Primary Site Server but there is no indication of what is wrong.

I really hope somebody can help me with this because we have limited- or no Premier Support hours due to it being year end and of course management wants this ready as soon as possible.  Any help would be appreciated.

Wednesday, November 22, 2017 5:32 PM

Answers

• Working with Premier Support we were able to solve this issue.  Here is a summary of what was done.

• Enabled SQL 1433 TCP port in SQL express
    • Firewall was disabled between PRI and SEC but not in network firewall
    • Enabled following ports
      • TCP 4022 (SQL)
      • TCP 1433 (SQL)
      • TCP 135 (RPC/WMI)
      • TCP 445 (SMB)
    • RLA is throwing error for WMI
    • Found SQL TCP port 1433 is not set in Primary site DB, changed it to 1433
    • Found on SQLbox, SCCM installation user is not added user/sysadmin, also machine account of Primary site was not added
    • Similarly on Secondary site, SCCM installation user was not added as User/sysadmin
    • Added above permission from SQL admin
    • Added all permissions in SQL for Primary site and Secondary site SQL
    • RLA was throwing error for not connecting with WBEMTEST on Secondary site
    • Sitecomp and RCM logs on Secondary site shows error for not getting top site code
    • Restarted secondary site recovery but sender fails to send any updated and scheduler is struggling to create new jobs
    • Started uninstallation of Secondary site
    • Uninstalled SQL express from Secondary site
    • Verified Secondary site box to start new installation
    • Started new installation of Secondary site but it stuck at Sender as INBOX\Schedule.box\UID folder was empty
    • Created dummy job files under Inbox\Schedule.box\UID folder and restarted SMS_EXEC services
    • Secondary site started working and finished as Replication Active

• Marked as answer by Mazarim Thursday, December 14, 2017 7:29 PM
    Thursday, December 14, 2017 1:03 PM

All replies

• Is there any errors in the hman.log file on either the secondary or primary?

Also take a look at despool.log, sender.log

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 23, 2017 9:32 AM
  • No errors in hman.log, despool.log or sender.log.  I also checked the four local access groups (SMS_SiteToSiteConnection_***, etc.) on the Primary and Secondary and they looked like they had the right accounts in them.  I noticed there are backed up files in the despoolr.box\receive folder on the Secondary.  Things are still not working.  Please let me know if you have any other ideas.
    Monday, November 27, 2017 2:54 PM
  • I ended up opening a ticket with Premier Support.  It looks like the issue is with replication of SQL between the Primary (full SQL) and Secondary (SQL Express).  No doubt there are firewall issues between the two of them. I will post here with what the solution is.
    Tuesday, November 28, 2017 2:16 PM
  • I ended up opening a ticket with Premier Support.  It looks like the issue is with replication of SQL between the Primary (full SQL) and Secondary (SQL Express).  No doubt there are firewall issues between the two of them. I will post here with what the solution is.

Hi,

Do you happen to get any resolution for this? Im having the same exact issue. Thanks!

Monday, December 4, 2017 2:51 AM
  • I opened up all the firewall ports that the engineer wanted but replication is not happening between the Primary and the Secondary.  He claims you have to have a two-way trust between the two domains that the Primary and Secondary are in but I am skeptical of this.  You can connect to the (SQL Express) database on the Secondary with an account from either domain when ON THE SAME NETWORK but not across the networks where there is a firewall in between.  So how is that a domain trust issue?  Maybe it is but I don't understand.  Will keep you posted.
    Monday, December 4, 2017 6:22 PM
  • I have this error in the ReplicationLinkAnalysis.log

ReplicationLinkAnalysis Error: 1 : Failed to execute WMI query

It is keeping SQL replication from happening between the Primary Site Server and the Secondary Site Server.  FYI a "WMIC" query from the Primary to the Secondary is successful (WMIC /node:<secondaryname> computersystem get model) so I don't understand why the WMI query is failing for SQL replication.

Any ideas? Tnx

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 1:49 PM
  • Working with Premier Support we were able to solve this issue.  Here is a summary of what was done.

• Enabled SQL 1433 TCP port in SQL express
    • Firewall was disabled between PRI and SEC but not in network firewall
    • Enabled following ports
      • TCP 4022 (SQL)
      • TCP 1433 (SQL)
      • TCP 135 (RPC/WMI)
      • TCP 445 (SMB)
    • RLA is throwing error for WMI
    • Found SQL TCP port 1433 is not set in Primary site DB, changed it to 1433
    • Found on SQLbox, SCCM installation user is not added user/sysadmin, also machine account of Primary site was not added
    • Similarly on Secondary site, SCCM installation user was not added as User/sysadmin
    • Added above permission from SQL admin
    • Added all permissions in SQL for Primary site and Secondary site SQL
    • RLA was throwing error for not connecting with WBEMTEST on Secondary site
    • Sitecomp and RCM logs on Secondary site shows error for not getting top site code
    • Restarted secondary site recovery but sender fails to send any updated and scheduler is struggling to create new jobs
    • Started uninstallation of Secondary site
    • Uninstalled SQL express from Secondary site
    • Verified Secondary site box to start new installation
    • Started new installation of Secondary site but it stuck at Sender as INBOX\Schedule.box\UID folder was empty
    • Created dummy job files under Inbox\Schedule.box\UID folder and restarted SMS_EXEC services
    • Secondary site started working and finished as Replication Active

• Marked as answer by Mazarim Thursday, December 14, 2017 7:29 PM
    Thursday, December 14, 2017 1:03 PM