none
100% forgot Windows 10 Home password on laptop RRS feed

• Question

• I put a password on my account on my DELL Windows 10 Home laptop but I forgot it completely. I do NOT have a password reset disk, the account is a local account, and I DO NOT HAVE THE INSTALLATION MEDIA FOR IT!!!!!!!!! I also do not want to use any third party programs to reset the password, and I tried to do the Ease of Access CMD trick I did the following:

1. Keep restarting your computer especially when it is still in the boot process.

2. You should get Preparing  Automatic Repair. After, it will say Your PC did not start correctly

Now once I try to do ANY recovery option it requires me to log in as administrator, but the only administrator account on the computer is the one that the password was forgotten. Also to not get the logon screen before recovery option (except startup options), you must access it from the installation media, BUT I DO NOT HAVE THE INSTALLATION MEDIA FOR THAT LAPTOP!!!!! HOW DO I RESET THE  PASSWORD????

All recovery options require logging in as administrator, but it's the account that I lost the password for. Also don't give me a guide to do it if I have the installation media, because I DO NOT!!! What the heck is the remaining way to reset the password?

All startup options, including the Safe Mode ones, take me to the logon for the account that I forgot the password, not the built-in administrator account! That computer had very crucial information but I lost the password for it!

(Sorry for all caps)

Saturday, September 2, 2017 8:28 PM

All replies

• https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Download media from there. Needs to be the same version as your current install to license if you do a clean \ reinstall (that wipes the systems so make sure you understand that loses all data and programs).

This is a forum where reset password advice is not given as that is considered hacking.

• Edited by -Mr Happy- Saturday, September 2, 2017 9:37 PM
    Saturday, September 2, 2017 9:36 PM
  • You didn't mention whether You are using a Microsoft User Account or a Local Account.

If you are using a Microsoft User Account then kindly visit this page from any other device and reset your password.

If you are using a Local User Account then kindly go through the steps as described here:

Reset your Windows 10 local account password

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

• Proposed as answer by EckiS Sunday, September 3, 2017 5:06 AM
    Sunday, September 3, 2017 12:36 AM
  • You didn't mention whether You are using a Microsoft User Account or a Local Account.

If you are using a Microsoft User Account then kindly rom any other device and reset your password.

If you are using a Local User Account then kindly go through the steps as described here:

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Check this out... hope can help u!!

1. Place your Windows XP CD in your cd-rom and start your computer (it assumed here that your XP CD is bootable ?as it should be - and that you have your bios set to boot from CD)

2. Keep your eye on the screen messages for booting to your cd Typically, it will be Press any key to boot from cd...

3. Once you get in, the first screen will indicate that Setup is inspecting your system and loading files.

4. When you get to the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER to Setup Windows now

5. The Licensing Agreement comes next - Press F8 to accept it.

6. The next screen is the Setup screen which gives you the option to do a Repair.

It should read something like if one of the following Windows XP installations is damaged, Setup can try to repair it.

Use the up and down arrow keys to select your XP installation (if you only have one, it should already be selected) and press R to begin the Repair process.

Friday, March 30, 2018 10:12 AM