none
PWA 2010 Task Update - % Complete not calculating to Actual Work RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, other than if a task is 100% complete, when someone types in a % Complete in the Task Update, it is not calculating to Actual Hours in the Task Approvals or in the Project Schedule in PWA or Project Pro. Any suggestions?

The Task and Settings Display page is set to Free Form.

Monday, November 5, 2012 9:45 PM

All replies

• Did you have a resource assigned to the task?

Before work can be calculated, two of the three must be provided.  (ie. Duration, Work and Units)

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA, MCC 2011, MCC2012
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 3:24 AM
  • yes, the resource is assigned to the project. I have Duration, Work. Which Units are you referring to?
    Tuesday, November 6, 2012 6:20 PM
  • Hi dovendaven1,

Well, in Project Pro check at File - Options - Schedule and at the end of the dialogue box there is a section called Calculation options... where you can choose only for current project or for All new projects. Just below there are three check boxes which the first and the third of them should be marked in order to enter de % Complete to calculate the Actual Work and Actual Cost and click OK at the end. If this work for you current project, you should make this to all existing projects. If you choose also All new projects this option will be applied only to new projects.

By default this should be marked.

Do not forget to publish the projects.

I hope this helps.

R.Segawa

Best regards, Ricardo Segawa - Segawas Projetos / Microsoft Partner

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 2:59 PM
  • Will making the mentioned changes in Project Pro affect how tasks are updated from PWA?
    Wednesday, November 14, 2012 4:51 PM
  • Hi dovendaven1,

As you reported that the Proj Pro did not calculated the progress (not only), this is the first check point, which is fast and easy.

The other possible checkpoints are:

1. Did this happen to all projects or just to a specific project?
    2. If it happened to a specific project, did it appear in the status bar of the Proj Pro the word 'Calculate', which means that the project has possibly a circular link (not always necessarily).
    3. Does both the Proj Pro and the server are updated with the same Service pack and Cumulative Update? 
    4. Are you using links between projects?

Thank you.

Saturday, November 17, 2012 3:38 AM
  • Hi dovendaven1,

Answering your question, this option affects only Project Professional but neither Detail view nor Tasks view will be affected. 

Sunday, November 18, 2012 6:22 PM
  • Answers

1. There are any specific projects this affects but is widespread.

2. See answer #1

3. Yes

4. No links or dependencies of any kind between projects.

Monday, November 19, 2012 5:15 PM
  • Tasks that are updated in PWA 2010 from the My Tasks screen as % complete are not calculated to actual hours. Same results for project pro. This issue is NOT limited to Project Pro, but PWA My Tasks entry.

Monday, November 19, 2012 5:17 PM
  • Hi dovendaven1,

It is quite strange because Project Pro and PWA are two independent applications so unless there is an external factor, there should be two different issues affecting PWA and Project Server.

1. Before this happened, was the server and project pro running well?
    2. Is this issue started to appear suddenly at the same time both, in PWA and in Project Pro?
    3. When this started to happen did you or the server administrator did any update or maintenance in the server?
    4. If you open one of these projects in Project Pro, not connecting to Project Server, does the calculation of actual work continue to fail?
    5. Please, inform the version of the Project Professional of your workstation. It should be something like 14.0.xxxx.xxxx.
    6. Another check point is: verify at the current project calendar what is the daily working hours and week days. Then check at the File - Options - Schedule how many hours per day and week are set there? Then inform to me.

Thank you.

• Edited by R.Segawa Tuesday, November 20, 2012 1:10 AM
    Monday, November 19, 2012 8:52 PM