Error code 80070002 from Backup in Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Windows Backup is giving me error 80070002 (The system cannot find the file specified.) My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L755 with an Intel chipset, running Windows 7 Home Premium. I am trying to backup to a Toshiba Canvio Slim II 500GB USB hard drive. I see in Event Viewer that each time, the error message refers to the same file (C:\Users\[my name]\Desktop\1 FAT32\Mein\Aircraft\Ford Tri-Motor\MVI_5222.AVI), which I can find in Windows Explorer.

I have tried chkdsk in safe mode; checked that the "volume" I am backing up from is online and assigned a letter; entered "mountvol /r" followed by "mountvol /e" in Command Prompt; checked that the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service is disabled; and I tried clean booting with .NET framework disabled, then running Backup with avast! Antivirus shields disabled. I tried using SFC, but it froze my laptop during verification at 88%.

I have tried checking profiles in the registry (none missing or duplicated, though some profiles that I deleted are still listed, which has not caused this problem, as their deletion did not cause this problem that week), found that my laptop's BCD is in the same partition as Windows (which is mounted and has "C:" as its assigned letter), and my laptop is not dual-boot.

I don't know if this is related, but three weeks ago I found that avast! got stuck during full scans, as I explained in detail here: https://forum.avast.com/?topic=211848.0 After scanning my computer overnight (Dec 22-23) and running chkdsk in safe mode two weeks ago, the Windows Backup error I mentioned there (0x81000037) was replaced by the current error (80070002).

Monday, January 1, 2018 12:39 AM

All replies

• Hi,

How did you back up your windows? 

If it is suggested that you perform a clean boot to disable the third-party software conflict, then back up your windows. Since avast is not our product, which is out of our support, it is suggested that you can disable it firstly and using our build-in tools to do a back up.

how to perform a clean boot 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 2, 2018 7:47 AM
  • Yes, I did clean boot and disable avast!, but that did not solve the problem.
    Tuesday, January 2, 2018 6:32 PM
  • Hi,

When the error pop up, did your computer stops responding, did the copy operation stops?

Please refer to this article:https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/979281/error-code-0x8100002f-and-or-error-code-0x80070002-when-you-back-up-fi

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/976972/you-encounter-problems-when-you-move-data-over-usb-from-a-windows-7-or

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 3, 2018 9:04 AM
  • Did you read my original post, at the top of this page? I do not have an NVIDIA chipset. No, my laptop does not stop responding. The "copy operation" does not complete.
    Wednesday, January 3, 2018 3:14 PM
  • Hi,

It is suggested that you can move the file C:\Users\[my name]\Desktop\1 FAT32\Mein\Aircraft\Ford Tri-Motor\MVI_5222.AVI to another location, where it won't be backed up. Since it may be a video file, we can test to see if the back up process can be completed after the file is removed.

If the suggestions can't help to solve the problem, please help us collect the logs which is located at Event Viewer > Applications and services>Microsoft >windows >backup. You should enable the analytic and debug logs in Event Viewer. how to

In addition, the logs under %windir%\logs\windowsbackup will also be helpful to analyze the issue. You can collect these logs, upload them to a network drive and share the link here.

Thursday, January 4, 2018 8:46 AM
  • Moving MVI_5222.AVI did not solve the problem.

The analytic and debug logs were enabled. Is it okay if I PM you the link to the logs you asked for?

Friday, January 5, 2018 12:43 AM
  • Hi,

You can upload the logs to a network drive like Onedrive or dropbox, then share the link here.

Friday, January 5, 2018 7:22 AM
  • To protect my privacy, I would rather not post the link publicly, if you don't mind.
    Friday, January 5, 2018 8:27 PM
  • Hello? Are you still there?

To protect my privacy, I would rather not post the link publicly, if you don't mind.

Monday, January 8, 2018 6:34 PM
  • Hi,

I totally understand your concern, since it is a public forum, what if you hide the personal info in the logs manually and upload them? We had really limited information on your issue and it may stops us doing further analysis.

If you want to get service one-on-one, which can support e-mail or phone assistance, you can contact here

You may should pay for it but you will get better experience when solving the problems.

Tuesday, January 9, 2018 1:24 AM
  • That link redirected me to https://support.microsoft.com/en/en/en/en/en/en/en/en/en/en/en/en/en/en/en/en/en/en/en/en/assistedsupportproducts and Firefox said:

The page isn’t redirecting properly

Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.

This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept cookies.

Clicking "Try Again" brought up a page saying:

Server Error

<fieldset>

404 - File or directory not found.

The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

</fieldset>

I don't know how to "hide the personal info in the logs"; I don't know how to work with .etl files.

Tuesday, January 9, 2018 2:16 AM
  • Hi, 

The address can be opened from my browser, please perform a clean boot and try to open it using IE.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/assistedsupportproducts

how to perform a clean boot 

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 5:07 AM