none
How to monitor accessed directories and files RRS feed

• Question

• It is not the first time I wanted to do this. My question is going to be about legacy Adobe application. However, I want to know about it for the future with other applications and needs. If anymore reasoning wanted for why I want to do this, please ask. I have an installer package for Adobe CS6. I can boot it up and install the one program I need. I do this by unchecking all the other programs. However, in an 8GB package, I want to repackage it with only the files required for the install. That is, the install of the one program, the only one I want because the installer sets up like 20 programs.  I want to monitor the installation and get a list of all the files accessed during the install. I want to then take the list of used directories and files and create a minimally sized installer. I would like to know of a program that can do this monitoring operation. Perhaps maybe MS Sysinternals? Any help or ideas will be appreciated. Mention anything you like, please. I am on Windows. However, I would love to hear a way to do it on Mac OSX as well. Thanks
    Thursday, October 31, 2019 8:58 PM

All replies

• Well on Windows for sure Process Monitor with filter set to Category is Write

This way Procmon will capture every file and folder created during the process and all the registry keys added..

I don't know any tools for Mac OS X.

HTH
    -mario

Thursday, October 31, 2019 9:31 PM
  • Super helpful. Where does it write this to? Is there a log file or something? Thanks
    Thursday, October 31, 2019 9:46 PM
  • It logs directly in procmon, when you finish, you can save the trace file with all the information you collected..

TH
    -mario

Friday, November 1, 2019 10:07 AM