integration of power BI and sql server earlier versions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

I have done with integrating power BI with SSRS 2016 version and working fine.  I have some DB instances which runs in 2008 R2 and 2012 version. whats the best way to integrate those with power BI like SSRS 2016?  I  want to keep those instances in same version and have to pin reports to power BI..

Thank you

Monday, February 1, 2016 11:19 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi romex,

In Reporting Services 2008 R2 or 2012 version, there is no built-in feature for us to pin report items to Power BI directly. In your scenario, you can migrate reports from SSRS 2008 R2 or 2012 to SSRS 2016 report server, then pin those reports to Power BI with the help of the new feature in SSRS 2016 (Pin Reporting Services items to Power BI Dashboards).

Reference:
    Sample Reporting Services rs.exe Script to Copy Content between Report Servers

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best regards,
    Qiuyun Yu

Qiuyun Yu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 3:26 AM
  • Hi Qiuyun

Thanks for your reply. I have below concerns. Please clarify me on this.

1. Can we still keep db server the existing one.

2. as per you it will work as , first we have to transfer to the current report server then we have to move to 2016 report server. if so there is current db server , current report server and new 2016 report server. This make too much of dependency.  can we create reports and directly deploy to 2016 report server?  

3. can i still carry on previous versions of db server even after i move to 2016 report server?

Thank You

• Edited by romex Tuesday, February 2, 2016 6:57 AM
    Tuesday, February 2, 2016 4:44 AM
  • Hi romex,

1.Can we still keep db server the existing one.

Yes, it just copy report server items from one report server to another. The SSRS 2008 R2 or SSRS 2012 report server database will not be affected.

2.as per you it will work as , first we have to transfer to the current report server then we have to move to 2016 report server. if so there is current db server , current report server and new 2016 report server. This make too much of dependency.  can we create reports and directly deploy to 2016 report server? 

Based on my test in SSRS 2012 11.0.2218.0 and SSRS 2016 CTP 3.2, the report created in SSDT for SQL Server 2012 can be deployed to report server 2016.

3.can i still carry on previous versions of db server even after i move to 2016 report server?

Yes.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best regards,
    Qiuyun Yu

Qiuyun Yu

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 9:42 AM
  • Dear Qiyun Yu

Thanks for your prompt reply.  I have only one concern. When we do reporting service configurations what database do we have to give? can we give our old version's database ?

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 2:54 AM
  • Hi romex,

The report server is a stateless server that requires a SQL Server database for internal storage. You can use the Reporting Services Configuration Manager to create and configure a connection to the report server database. You can also select an existing report server database that already contains the content you want to use. But you need to note the report serve database version requirement: Create a Report Server Database (SSRS Configuration Manager).

Best regards,
    Qiuyun Yu

Qiuyun Yu

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 9:29 AM