Windows Explorer does not update on move/delete/copy etc RRS feed

• Question

• From a similar thread started by joeboxer a couple of years ago...

• After moving files: A) moved files do not disappear, or B), all moved files disappear but pop-ups report "Could not find this item" for each file.
      • After deleting files: deleted files do not disappear.
      • After renaming files: renamed files continue to show former filenames.
      • After creating a folder: created folder does not appear.
      • After emptying the Recycle Bin: emptied bin is not shown as empty.

Also:

After moving folders from one parent to another file pane may or may not update and navigation pane may or may not update.

Moving, copying or deleting update process is extremely slow sometimes.

These problems simply appeared.  With no known explanation.  When computer was brand new it all worked fine (for a long time) then a couple of months ago the problems started.   I just did a clean recover to factory settings and ran all the windows updates and the problem is still there.  I am loathe to repeating the recovery and doing updates one at a time to find the culprit.

System is a Toshiba Satellite A505 S6995 running Windows 7 Home Premium.  I am using a tool from SourceForge called Classic Shell but, unfortunately, I failed to check for problems before I installed it after the clean recovery.  I suspect it or a Windows update is the culprit.  I will try disabling or uninstalling Classic Shell and see if that is the problem though I doubt it since it is never mentioned in any of the other threrads on this and similar topics.

Has the cause and/or repair been found yet? 

Don

Friday, September 14, 2012 1:27 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please try the following and see how it works.

1. Using your security application to scan your system for Virus. If you do not have one, you can use Microsoft Security Essentials.

2. Test the issue again in Safe Mode.

3. Boot into System Recovery Options, open Command Prompt and run command chkdsk /f /r.

If issue persists, please let us know whether the issue occurs with all your drives or only with the C drive.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Jeremy_Wu Sunday, September 23, 2012 8:04 AM
    Monday, September 17, 2012 5:20 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please try the following and see how it works.

1. Using your security application to scan your system for Virus. If you do not have one, you can use Microsoft Security Essentials.

2. Test the issue again in Safe Mode.

3. Boot into System Recovery Options, open Command Prompt and run command chkdsk /f /r.

If issue persists, please let us know whether the issue occurs with all your drives or only with the C drive.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Jeremy_Wu Sunday, September 23, 2012 8:04 AM
    Monday, September 17, 2012 5:20 AM
  • First, I apologize for the delay replying.  I thought I had written and posted a reply but I never saw it so here I am again.

Between the time I posted my question and you replied I did a clean install of Win7 using the factory recovery disk set, returning the compuer to its original out of the box state.  I immediately downloaded and installed all Windows updates.  The problem still exists but is now intermittent.  All of my work using Windows Explorer lately has dealt with the moving, copying, deleting and renaming of files and folders all located on an external 1.5 TB USB2.0 hard drive.  Quantities per action vary from as few as 2or 3 to as many as 500 to 1000.  Of course the problem is most noticeable with the larger quantities.  Sometimes it all works as it should and sometimes it doesn't.  It seems to me it is more likely to work right with smaller quantities but I have been surprised several times to see it work right with very large quantities.

Since the problem still exists after a clean install I assume doing the tests you describe would be fruitless.  If I am wrong please say so and I will do them.  I already use and scan with MSE.

Don

• Edited by DSWABC Sunday, September 23, 2012 3:27 PM
    Sunday, September 23, 2012 3:15 PM
  • Summary:  Deleted files appear in Windows Explorer windows after file is deleted.

I have the same issue and I have had it for at least a year.

I have also seen this issue on other forums.

My workaround (which works but is a nuisance) is to hit F5 while in the Explorer window.

• Proposed as answer by sjm1 Monday, December 3, 2012 10:12 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by sjm1 Monday, December 3, 2012 10:12 PM
    Monday, December 3, 2012 9:56 PM
  • I looked further and found the solution that doesn't require hitting F5.

Find your folder options (type Folder Options in the Window's start button (bottom left of the task bar...you can probably get to it with Control Panel but this is fast).

Click the View tab.

Find Use Sharing Wizard and deselect it.

• Proposed as answer by argargarg Sunday, June 15, 2014 7:55 AM
    Monday, December 3, 2012 10:13 PM