none
DPM and SAN RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Just starting off with DPM 2012 R2 after moving from Backup Exec, so please forgive my lack of in-depth knowledge with this product.

I have come across one issue, I can't backup any data stored on our SAN.  We have a few shared folders (eg, User areas, critical files folder and a few dump folders) that I cant seam to protect with DPM as it needs and agent to be installed.

As the SAN is not a Windows File Server there dose not seam to be a way or making DPM "see it".

If anybody has an ideas I would be grateful to hear about it.

• Edited by Bmgc09 Wednesday, July 30, 2014 6:01 AM
    Wednesday, July 30, 2014 5:56 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

you are right, DPM Needs an Agent to be installed on an OS to be backed up.

so there is no solution, except a Workaround to copy Data of San to a Windows File Server first and thand backup with DPM

Seidl Michael | http://www.techguy.at | twitter.com/techguyat | facebook.com/techguyat

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 12:54 PM
  • Hi,

What you have is a NAS (network attached storage) devices that emulate a SMB accessible volume. As Michael correctly pointed out, DPM can only protect Windows based workloads that has a DPM agent installed on it. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 6:05 PM